Elizabeth (Lisa) Morris - New Member

Guest Lisa Morris

Guest Lisa Morris

Although raised middle class, I have spent most of my adult life living within modern Indian Country; watching my husband's family despair as they struggled with alcoholism and drug abuse. And not just watched – I rescued children off the street, stood in the closet where a beautiful niece hanged herself, chased a drunk off of a ten-year-old girl, and much more.

After a life changing experience with Jesus Christ, Roland and I came to understand that policies within both tribal and federal government - painting tribal members as forever victims incapable of living within mainstream society - are at the root of the pain, abuse, violence, and suicides destroying this extended family.

My husband rejected the victim label; became personally accountable, and led our family to walk in Jesus Christ.

He no longer expected tribal or federal government to take care of him and his children. He now looked to God and took pride in being an attentive father and bread winner.

In 2004, unwilling to continue watching family members die tragically and often violently, we founded the Christian Alliance for Indian Child Welfare (CAICW), a ministry and family advocacy, hoping it would help bring change.

The book ‘Dying in Indian Country’ is the true story of my husband’s extended family and the crime, corruption and child abuse on his reservation, told in the hope that eyes might be opened and lives saved.

Roland passed away ten years ago, but our ministry continues. We have encouraged and supported families across the country to lean on the Lord and take loving responsibility for the children they are raising.

We also work to keep tribal governments from interfering with families - tearing them apart in the quest for federal dollars related to tribal census.

"TENT MAKING" DESIRE: Alhough I am a Registered Nurse and could easily support myself in that arena, my work with the org is my passion and calling. But I am a writer, not a fundraiser. The org does not pay any salary. As I travel a lot in my work, my desire is to support myself through writing, working it out around the duties I have with the organization.

I am interested in any Christian writing work available.

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. I'm so sorry for all the negativity in the tribe. It sounds like you are providing a wonderful service and helping others to Christ. Be sure to check out the FAQ to see how things run around here. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing and your ministry!

Welcome to this site. I see that you have been through a lot. Thank God He has turned your life around and is now using you to help others. He has inspired you to write about what you have been through and is affecting the lives of those who read the book.

I am confident that God can expand your borders even more,

Archived