Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solar1962

2014 Writing Goals

Plan to release the first book in a five book young adult series. By the time the 1st book releases, I want to have completed the 2nd book, so I'm a year ahead. Then finish the 3rd by the release of the 2nd, and so on. Lord willing.

Well, since the 2013 goals didn't work out so well, I'm rolling them over to 2014. I'm also keeping it simple. My goal is to finish the first book of a youth trilogy, about 60,000 words. I'm 5000 words in so far. If that gets finished and edited by sometime this summer, I'll take it with me to a writer conference and hope for time with an agent.

Alrighty. I think I'm making good progress. :):D

I went over 42,000 words today, and there is still so much to write. I thought I could have a complete draft by February, but maybe not. However, I'm overjoyed with my rewrites and decisions. Finally! I'm getting more done and acutally sticking with it this time. And to think all I had to do was write five hours a day!

I'm going to try to push for a complete draft in March or April. If I keep this pace up I could make it. :D

Hope everyone else is doing good on their goals ;)

My 'yay!' to Victoria & Carol! :D

I'm also doing very well. My novel is in developmental edit, and I've finished the first draft of my short story.

God has taken me to another direction with my previous Nanowrimo novel, namely, to choose another character as the POV. I've finished the new outline and will start a deep surgery on the old manuscript. :P

I'm planning to:

- publish 1 novel (I'm now in the last phase of editing this one, and will be handing it over to a professional editor soon).

- publish 1 short story.

- finish my NanoWrimo novel (I'll be striving to publish this one too, but let's see how far I get).

- join NanoWrimo & use it to jump-start another novel.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic as always, but I like to challenge myself. ;)

Well, if real life would just leave me alone for a while, I'd be doing so much better! Good news is, I'm over the block that kept me from working on Corporate Ladder, bad news is, every time I get on a writing spree, something interrupts it. I'm not near as far along as I thought I'd be this month.

Best news is, it's just January. I have 11 more months to get back on track!

I have been on and off with working on a book for two years. I just could not seem to get motivated enough. I made a resolution to watch my mouth this year and to get serious about studying the Bible. I wrote a poem to God about wanting to write and He has given me seven poems sine the tenth of this month. Not what I prayed for, but God knows better than I, so off I go. I don't know what to do with poems, but as long as He is giving me the words, I will follow. Don't you love it! Seek Him and He will provide. Great resolutions guys!

I hope everyone is doing well on their goals. Any completions?

Need to do a bit of updating on my goals. Nothing has changed too much. Starting a novella Nano style did me some good. I have a lot to work with now and am very happy about it. Yay! :lol:

My 2014 goals.

1. Finish fantasy novella

2. Revise and get feedback on it

3. Apply revisions and finish last round of editing

4. Submit to publisher

5. Learn how to market books

6. Start an attractive blog

7. Rinse and repeat

Wow, Victoria, I was just finishing up praying for our writing in the "open forum" and then planning to find this link and nag everyone about goals.

Good going on your goals!

My goals for 2014 were to

*continue blogging: done

*continue facilitating online critique groups for my Christian writers: done

*release one of 2 Bible studies for the year by June: on track

My secret, unwritten goal was to get 4 Bible studies out in 2014. I'm on track to have 2 released by June. The last two are in "horrible first draft" stage but covers are nearly completed and I think I'll be able to bring all 4 into quality and release them this year. It's been a 3-year project, but it all swooped ahead thanks to NANO last November.

My first goal was to write proposals and submit A Most Refined Dragon to agents and publishers. This is done. I submitted to about three publishers and three agents.

I have received two rejections so far. :(

I will wait until my next round of revisions before submitting to any more.

My second goal is to shorten the manuscript, because length is my guess as to the number one reason to reject. I have shortened it from 150K to 143K words so far. My goal is 130K, which is still longer than the 120K that many publishers advertise as their upper limit, but close enough that I might not be rejected out of hand without a closer look.

Another goal is to write a sermon on Joseph, the husband of Mary. I have done a little research.

It is important not to get stuck on one project. Editing is tedious, so I have been thinking about ideas for my next book. I already have two, one of which looks promising. Looks like I might write my first YA urban fantasy book.

Paul

Bummer. :( Their lost though.

Someone will see the greatness in your work, Paul. It is of good quality and deserves the light. Hardwork and persevervance doesn't get unnoticed by God. Will be praying success for you! ;)

Blessings

My update - I finished one novel and have started its first edit - a slow and tedious process, as many of you well know! Somehow, I'm enjoying it. I just wish I had more uninterrupted time to work on it.

Anyway, God is good!

mbeachbum: Good show! Happy editing. Time is not my problem: staying awake is! When it takes an hour to cut 50 words from a chapter, it is easy to doze off.

Victoria: Thanks for the encouragement.

Yesterday was April Fool's Day. On stackexchange.com, they announced that their points system was being replaced by "unicoins", coins with the emblem of a unicorn. I was so proud of coming up with the term for my novel, only to have someone else promote it first! Arg!

Paul

@mbeachbum - Congrats on finishing a novel! That's huge for a writer. I'm not too fond of any editing process but noticed it's such a joy once the pieces start connecting.

@Paul - Wow. No kidding. At least they don't know the secret to actually creating a unicoin. Not to mention the humor and live factor. I don't recall. Did yours have the unicorn emblem as well?

I'm constantly running into similar names, names I created from scratch and then to keep finding most in those RPG fantasy games...ugh. Gamers you are talented with name creation, jeez! Write a fantasy instead of playing all day! Mostly I discard them and try to recreate original names. Two I did keep because I liked them too much. :lol:

My goal this year is finishing the first draft of my current work in progress. If I could restrain my constant compulsive editing problem it would help...:-p

Hey, it's time for our Q2 goal review and to revise goals for the rest of 2014. Here's mine. Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

1. At end of March, my goal was to publish 4 Bible studies by the end of 2014. I’ve revised that to launch the With Faith Like Hers SERIES in September with three books, I am Eve, I am Esther (both now out) and I am Ruth. I’m working on my launch now, writing articles for a blog tour, creating freebies for the week and cooking up a “cyber book launch lunch.” I’m also preparing to lead a group Bible study on Eve to garner helpful ideas to share with others about leading a group Bible study for the series.

2. I asked my daughter to develop a line of beauty products to accompany my women’s Bible studies. We hope to launch the body scrub in September, with a different scent for each woman from Scripture.

3. Release I am Mary (Mother Mary) in November for the Christmas gift/study markets along with a frankincense body scrub. I am Mary is in its third revision; the cover is completed.

4. November I plan to join Nanowrimo as a "rebel" and draft two books for revision in 2015: a children’s book about money; and the first book of a new Bible study series Atop the Mountain: The Beatitudes

5. I enrolled in a class on website design. I will work on my author site and the Honor Bound Books website on a continuing basis for the remainder of the year.

I revised A Most Refined Dragon, sent it to agents and publishers, and received rejections from some of them, silence from others.

I found several willing beta readers and got useful feedback.

I submitted to two writing contests and was eliminated from both, but got very useful feedback from the judges.

Going forward, I am working on another revision to correct the flaws that have been pointed out to me.

I have already rewritten most of the despised prologue as a later chapter told in flashbacks, woven in with new present-time action.

Then I will embark on a second round of submissions to agents and publishers.

When I get stuck, I plan to convert my second novel (Fighting Extradition) to Kindle format and self-publish via CreateSpace.

It is a tense time. Some who read my story love it, while others can't get past the first few chapters.

Paul

• I released Core Elements on June 10th. started working on the Genesis part 3 study guide

• Did some work on the novel.. first draft is about 2/3 done

• Something not in with my goals. I worked on editing a biography for a friend. We are waiting for the proof to arrive and should be launched by the end of July. i am releasing it through my publishing label so that may count towards releasing 3 titles this year. Especially as this project caused me to spend twice the amount of time working on the Core Elements than I had planned..

• From a business perspective. I re-upped my domain and have launched a new website. |(click on the link below)

• Signed up to take a marketing course online. I really need to fill in the blanks here with some formal training

• Am considering pursuing publishing the work of a friend who is deceased. I have been talking to family members and they are considering it.

Yay! I was just thinking about our 2014 goals. :lol:

I’m still not done with my fantasy novella. However, I have made huge progress since. I’m halfway there to finishing it. Not only have I gotten positive comments that have pushed me to help grow this story, but I’ve received excellent feedback. I have such a great feeling about this story and am so excited to see what the future has in store for it.

Blessings

I reached one of my goals for 2014, publishing my book on how to study the Bible just this past week. I have one other book I hope to complete by the end of the year. I was hoping to finish it in a few weeks, but I don't think it is going to happen that soon.

My goal is to keep writing the first draft of my novel this year and to finish sometime in the spring of 2015, but I will be overjoyed if I finish it sooner.

Late to the party, but here they are:

• Publish my first novel (check. released this past spring)

• Continue my weekly blog

• Write a daily "3 years through Scripture" blog

• Write my 2nd novel by the end of the year.

My only goal this year is to finish and self-publish for our family and few others a memoir about my dear wife. I dictate my thoughts in the car and while at home. Then I transcribe them into a chronological outline. About half of the dication is transcribed and I found, thanks to this website, a copy editor to help when it is finished.

John

My goals for this year are to get my current novel finished and ready for puhlishing next year and also do some of the rough draft for my second book during nano. So far everything is going well considering with my current novel I have almost finished the rough draft.

I have reached my writing goals for this year. I plan on learning more about the makeup of the book market, and if the notion hits me, another short story.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.