Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solar1962

2014 Writing Goals

What are your goals for the coming year? I would like to publish three titles in the coming year. I plan on writing and publishing two study guides: Genesis 26-38 and Core Elements - a study of the basic things a Christian should know about. I also plan on finishing and publishing my nano-novel - maybe. There is a lot of work left to do on it. i am looking to release my 20th project this year. It will be one of the above mentioned projects. With both print and electronic versions available, i might even close in on 25.

My goal is to finish, edit, and publish everything that I have started! :eek: That means finishing two novels and critically fine tuning two others. No problem, right? Especially since I teach high school history, am involved in church, etc. !!! :cool:

I would love to give copies of these to my family members for Christmas 2014! :D

I have at least two coming out in 2014, possibly three. One I wrote by myself, and two I co-wrote. I reckon my goals for next year have to include coming up with a decent marketing plan.

But I also have several manuscripts in the works, so finishing at least two of them would be another goal.

This is kinda like doing a New Year's resolution--and I always fail at those. :P

No, Linda--this is not like New Year's resolutions. This is about accountability. We're gonna be nagging you throughout 2014 and every quarter you will be required by the CW cyber police to return to this very thread and tell us how you're doing. Then we'll have the opportunity to nag you some more. :eek:

Thank you, Solar for starting this thread. I was gonna do it this week.

My goals will follow.

My goal for 2014 is to see one of my two finished novels in the hands of a publisher by the end of the year, and to begin (and maybe finish) my third novel. I've really been percolating the concept in my head, I've just decided to wait until after Jan. 1 to start it. My tentative title is MATTHEW'S AUTOGRAPH.

No, Linda--this is not like New Year's resolutions. This is about accountability. We're gonna be nagging you throughout 2014 and every quarter you will be required by the CW cyber police to return to this very thread and tell us how you're doing. Then we'll have the opportunity to nag you some more. :eek:

Thank you, Solar for starting this thread. I was gonna do it this week.

My goals will follow.

Uh-oh. Now you tell me that you're gonna be on my tail! :o

Umm. Should I change my goals??? Oh, well, I'll go for it anyhow! ;)

ACK!!! I'm gonna be nagged?! Yikes.

Well, maybe that's what I need to keep myself focused. :P

I'm planning to:

- publish 1 novel (I'm now in the last phase of editing this one, and will be handing it over to a professional editor soon).

- publish 1 short story.

- finish my NanoWrimo novel (I'll be striving to publish this one too, but let's see how far I get).

- join NanoWrimo & use it to jump-start another novel.

Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic as always, but I like to challenge myself. ;)

Greetings Steve,

I am currently working on a core elements study that I hope to finish next year as well. Perhaps we can compare notes sometime,

Beyond that, I would love to complete the novel I am working on this next year. That should be enough I think.

Greetings Steve,

I am currently working on a core elements study that I hope to finish next year as well. Perhaps we can compare notes sometime,

Beyond that, I would love to complete the novel I am working on this next year. That should be enough I think.

On my Core Elements Study I have my working outline completed. If i work at it consistently it should take me 3-4 months to finish. I haven't officially started a new project yet as i was basking in the glow and mental exhaustion that is completing nanowrimo. But while i am on that topic.. nano 2014 --- here i come!

1. I found a beta reader for A Most Refined Dragon! First goal is to wait patiently until they send feedback, and edit accordingly.

2. I also am waiting for feedback from my crit partner on the concluding three or four chapters of AMRD. The climax is the part I think needs the most revision.

3. AMRD is about 600 pages long (149K words). I need to shorten it. That will take months.

4. Write book proposals and submit A Most Refined Dragon to several publishers and agents.

5. Format Fighting Extradition as an ebook.

6. Publish Fighting Extradition via CreateSpace and Amazon in paperback and electronic forms.

7. Pray about what to write next. After writing four novels, one non-fiction book, and a novelette, I have exhausted the ideas that were burning inside me for the last twenty years waiting to get out, so I need something new. One idea is a historical novel set in the days of King Hezekiah. This would require much research, and I don't have a plot, just a setting that intrigues me. Another idea is a puzzle book, with mazes, logic puzzles, word searches, hidden pictures, etc. It would have a story to tie together all the puzzles. Always loved puzzles and games.

Paul

Paul--I thought I was the only one struggling with ideas. Every time I finish one, I have no idea what to do next. I got several ideas all at once, and when they're done, I'll be bone dry.

Paul wrote: Write book proposals and submit A Most Refined Dragon to several publishers and agents.

Paul--book proposals are for non-fiction. What you need to prepare for your novel is a 1 or 2-page synopsis to send to agents/publishers. Good luck

Paul--book proposals are for non-fiction. What you need to prepare for your novel is a 1 or 2-page synopsis to send to agents/publishers. Good luck

I prefer to call it a book proposal. :P Synopsis sounds like a brain disease, and when I am writing one, it also feels like a disease.

I am on my third draft of a synopsis for one publisher. I still have to cut 25% to meet the 5000 character limit. Ugh!

Paul

My 2014 goals.

1. Finish a draft of my novel by February.

2. Publish my novel. No excuses this time!

3. Learn how to market it.

4. Start an attractive blog

5. After I publish, immediately start on another novel. (I have a binder full of story ideas and summaries I’ve jotted down since 2010. Each has novel titles tied to them, so I can’t wait to start on one. The question is which one to start on first?)

6. Get better at grammar and writing and break bad writing habits, like using too many exclamation marks in my writing!!!!

7. Wouldn’t mind seeing one my shorts published as well. Either way, something is getting published in 2014! Even if I have to beat myself up to do it! It’s going to happen!

My goals in 2014 are to continue to be prolific at my Blog posts, work diligently at finishing my fantasy novel I started in 2012, seriously start learning how to be an editor, publish a compendium of selected poems and posts from my blog and learn and implement marketing strategies for my website and published works.

I also, of course, want to be ever more of a presence at my church and walk closer each day with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I with you, Paul. I have written everything within me that flowed like water... Now I'm contemplating a project bigger than I've ever done - lots of research... lots of characters and one or two sub plots.... I've started it , but it grinding to halts pretty quickly, usually because I'm saying, "Oooh - got to go do more research..." But my goal is to get a proofing copy in 2014. I'm excited about it - don't know if I'm properly motivated yet.

And, of course, as a pastor - Christmas and Easter really chew up your time... So, very little non-fiction writing this month. :D

Here are mine:

1. Website – Blog 1 x week on FAITH plus irregularly on other topics

2. Market Honor Bound Books: Websites

3. Inspire Christian Writers participation

Continue as crit group leader

Head Newsletter: once a month or once per quarter or every 6 weeks?

4. With Faith Like Hers series: launch "I am Eve" by end of Q2; "I am Ruth" by end of Q4; complete fleshed out first drafts of "I am Mary" and "I am Elizabeth" by Q4 for 2015 launch

My goals in 2014 are to continue to be prolific at my Blog posts, work diligently at finishing my fantasy novel I started in 2012, seriously start learning how to be an editor, publish a compendium of selected poems and posts from my blog and learn and implement marketing strategies for my website and published works.

I also, of course, want to be ever more of a presence at my church and walk closer each day with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Scott, your goals won't be measurable at the end of the year (i.e. it's hard for you to know whether you've achieved it or not). It will help you if you define what is 'prolific', or 'diligently', or 'seriously'. Try to define it in a measurable way, like: write a blog post once a week (or once a month, whatever) or read book "Grammar 101". You get the idea. :)

This comment is also valid for some other people, too. Hope this helps.

My goal for 2014 is to finish my book on praise and worship (A biblical look at preparing to lead others into worship.) and begin work on a, companion, workbook. Both will be designed to work in concert to develop spiritual leadership in praise and worship teams.

Just submitted "A Most Refined Dragon" to a first publisher. Spent weeks on the synopsis. I hate synopses!

I also created a first draft cover for the book. It's a good way to end the year. Happy New Year, y'all!

Paul

My writing goal for 2014 is to finally finish my first novel. I'm blessed to have a support system of amazing sisters who are reading along as I go and helping me stay on track to get it done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.