Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aredshaw

Christian Science Fiction

NOTE: corrected episode title below:

Bruce -- Star Trek actually included a Theistic Creator world view. Consider the episode "Who Mourns for Adonais?" (Season 2). When an alien tries to say he is one of the old Greek gods, Captain Kirk responds, "Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one to be quite adequate."

And the episode "Bread and Circuses," (Season 2), in which a planet's persecuted minority was mistaken by the Enterprise crew as sun worshippers. It was Uhura who first realized that they were really following the Son of God.

--Mark.

Bruce -- Star Trek actually included a Theistic Creator world view. Consider the episode "Who Mourns for Adonais?" (Season 2). When an alien tries to say he is one of the old Greek gods, Captain Kirk responds, "Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one to be quite adequate."

And the episode "Bread and Circuses," (Season 2), in which a planet's persecuted minority was mistaken by the Enterprise crew as sun worshippers. It was Uhura who first realized that they were really following the Son of God.

Thanks for reminding me of those. It's been a long time since I've watched the original series, so I guess I just default to thinking of Star Trek Next Generation (and beyond).

Star Trek - TOS may have been more friendly to a Theistic Creator worldview in the beginning, but much has changed since then. Things were already slipping by the time of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier ('What does God need with a starship') and by the time of TNG the series had fallen into a classic SF secular humanist worldview.

Hi! I don't see why we Christian writers can't dip our pens into just about any genre. I love fantasy and sci-fi novels. I don't see why we can't put a Christian spin on them. I did it successfully in one of my novels. I figure there are a lot of readers out there who would love a Christian sci-fi or fantasy. Give the people what they want! :)

It just depends on whether you mean Christian as in clean and wholesome or Christian as in the Gospel message. I think that sci-fi and fantasy are best served as written very clean and wholesome, but will appeal to more people without the name of Jesus being referenced.

That being said, the Christian Gospel message can be presented satirically in a way that strengthens the sci-fi/ fantasy story without making people throw the book away because it is preaching the Christian message.

It just depends on whether you mean Christian as in clean and wholesome or Christian as in the Gospel message. I think that sci-fi and fantasy are best served as written very clean and wholesome, but will appeal to more people without the name of Jesus being referenced.

That being said, the Christian Gospel message can be presented satirically in a way that strengthens the sci-fi/ fantasy story without making people throw the book away because it is preaching the Christian message.

I agree with you, Joshua. (BTW, great name! That's my son's name, too.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.