Climbing Out From Under My Rock...

georjeannecarlin

…as my husband likes to say! I am a retired homeschooling mom ~ of two graduates, and now am a stay-at-home wife, whose husband has said, "Write!" I am a closet writer…who is feeling the nudge to come out and share my story. In 1989, while attending the U of MN in Minneapolis, I was asked to attend a nondenominational Bible based church. Only it wasn't. It was a destructive cult. In my 11 month involvement and final exit, I had documented the journey on hundreds of pages of paper. The ups, the downs, the confusion, the questions, the struggles, the doubts, and the cries.

And my husband believes that others could benefit from what I learned, how I grew, how I faltered, and how I left God. And how He woo'ed me back, always faithful, ever watching, and beckoning me to believe, trust and live. And leave fear behind. My biggest challenge still. :}

I am in the midst of revisiting my old self, through journals, letters, and notes during that time. I am in process of outlining and staging scenes. I am researching my genre…which is still elusive. I am in a quandary about writing it as an autobiography or a biographical novel~ to protect family. (It's very complicated.) All this to determine manuscript length and thus structure.

I hope I can grow in confidence to put myself out there, although it's pretty comfy under this rock! I've been under it for a long time and don't much like change! That's for the characters in my head! :)

So! That's why I am here, on a rainy cold MN afternoon. ~Geo

Welcome, Geo! You came to the right website. I'm a newbie member and a newbie writer. Everyone here is very helpful. I learned so much just by reading the post. I wrote one about the fears of writing and publishing your writing. I've never been in a cult, but I've been through some hard trials in my life and God is always faithful. Post your questions in the Forums, and some more experienced writers will be glad to help you sort out your genre, and any other things that you would like to know.

I can't wait for spring! This winter has been too long.

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. Be sure to check out the FAQ to see how things run around here. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing!

Welcome! Your story sounds amazing, our God is amazing. I am also a new member, a new writer at least for others to read, and a retired hoime school mom 3 graduates. A similar history, different trauma, is what really got me writting. I am excited to see how God uses you. He is faithful and never wastes our pain.

It has been a full week! Lots of new "habits" to form. My 20 year old daughter reminded me it takes 21 days to form a new habit. (How often have my children been my teachers about life issues!?) I have now committed days when I write, and have set a goal of 500 words on those days. Currently I am at 2200, and I only needed 1500 for the week! Yay for small victories. Can't tell you how exciting that is for me.

I know that seems like a low word count goal, but I am just trying to get through 21 days, where writing is a habit, like brushing my teeth & making the bed. I have to also make room for life. I can't give up my time with God, my time with my husband of 21 years, the needs of a large extended aging family, and now…. getting to be a joyful MOM to my returning Marine son, who has leave for 10 days! I pick him up tomorrow from the airport! Hooray! One excited lady here. :)

Thank you to all who gave me encouragement here. It is a daunting mountain I stand before, and my cowardly nature just wants me to sink down and not move. This story is my mountain, I will climb it one word at a time! Again, thanks for this site, the welcomes, and the encouragement. It does wonders! Have a super duper day!

~Geo

Congratulations, Geo!

Wow! 2200 words! I am editing the first half of my book and have only written 2 new paragraphs in a week.

Have a wonderful time with your son. My son is only away at college, not serving in the military. I miss him so much when he's at school. It's hard having an empty nest. My children will always be my first priority. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have a God to pray to for their safety and health. It's so comforting to know that God loves my children even more than I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived