Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nora

? About Finding An Agent ?

Two options for searching have not been mentioned. The Christian Writers' Market Guide can be found at Amazon, your local bookstore, or the library. Also, take a look at Michael Hyatt's list.

This is a great list, Lynnmosher. Thank you for sharing it. It is very helpful.

I've never granted anyone an exclusive. Those 3-month waits can stall your career for a very long time. I figure, either they want your work, or they don't.

I recently queried a publisher in Michigan about my novel, but I overlooked noting in the original email that I was sending simultaneous queries. I want to exercise good etiquette so as not to offend this publisher. Should I send a follow-up email updating them that I am querying a couple of other publishers, or would that come across as pressuring them to make a decision? I want to send out a couple more this week. I haven't received a return email saying the email address is not a working one, so I am assuming it got through okay. What's a good way to handle that?.

Guest stevehut

Susan, in my opinion, you've done nothing wrong.

Many agents and publishers take months to respond (if ever). It's just not right for them to expect you to put your life and career on hold.

My rule of thumb is that I follow up on a query after about two weeks, and a proposal or full read after 4-6 weeks.

It really isn't fair of agents to ask for an exclusive read until they get to the point where they're seriously interested and ready for a full read. Until then, don't worry about it. As far as conferences, they really do help, but I never met my agent at a conference, nor was I referred by anyone.

Guest stevehut

It really isn't fair of agents to ask for an exclusive read until they get to the point where they're seriously interested and ready for a full read.

It takes about a minute to evaluate a query, but easily a couple of month for a full read. Me, I've never either requested or offered an exclusive. I'm content to compete for business in a free market.

R & S and Abigail are on my list, along with Hannah and Hagar. Finding 30 lessons for each is tougher. Even if the idea doesn't sell, wow--is God taking me through scripture looking for lessons to learn. Always a good thing!

There's a text called Women in the Bible. Can't find my copy so I can't give you more information than that. I think it might be helpful. You might even be able to lift lessons from it and update them so they pertain to today. Maybe Matthew Henry's Commentary? Check at the library before you buy anything, of course.

I was so grateful to come across this post!! I have been hemming and hawing on this topic forever. I work a traditional job on top of writing (plus I freelance write commercially and edit when the right projects present themselves) so sending out queries and researching an agent (which I feel is my best route due to my busy life). Finding the lists and recommendations, advice was an answered prayer!

Thank you to all who posted comments here! I have looked at every post and all the links shared. Very helpful.

I do wonder... @Steven, you had stated on another related post that it does not matter if an agent is a Christian. May I ask how an agent would be able to believe in the work itself if they didn't fully understand how Jesus affects lives? :) It's a concern of mine as well as i'm finishing my second non-fiction book (my first was one I co-authored/edited so was less vested) which is my very raw testimony, with two more to write in waiting. I guess if it were compelling enough even a non-believer might be moved by it and want to work it, correct?

Thank you! Be blessed and be the blessing.

I don't know that Steven will answer. He hasn't been around in a long time. It sounds like you need a Christian agent. I don't remember the rest of this thread but if you don't know about this list, Michael Hyatt has a great list. Check it out here.

Two options for searching have not been mentioned. The Christian Writers' Market Guide can be found at Amazon, your local bookstore, or the library. Also, take a look at Michael Hyatt's list.

I am doing that now! Michael Hyatt's list, that is. Already, I've found a lot who would not fancy my work, but I've been making lists of possibilities! (As I am just starting the road to the publishing process!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.