Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nora

? About Finding An Agent ?

Hi guys,

No, I'm not ready but I find if I don't ask these things when I think about them, they don't get asked.

I read on an agent's blog that they weren't accepting new authors unless the writer had met them at a conference or they had a recommendation from a published writer.

Have any of you traditionally published people found an agent by being recommended? If so, how did that go?

Thanks,

God bless,

Nope, that's not the way it happened for me. There are reputable agents who accept unpublished and unrecommended authors. The way I found my agent was I met an agent at Hartline. She wasn't interested in my first novel because it wasn't a romance. Anyway she told me if I wrote something with a stronger romantic element, she would like to see it. So I sent my third novel. Hartline's website says if they don't contact you in 3 months, it's a no. So after 3 months, I sent it to other agents. Another agent was interested, but as she was reading my manuscript, she reached on a high shelf for a sweater and pulled out her back. She was in traction for months and decided not to take new clients. A year later, an agent was interested but was dragging his feet. Then I received an email from Linda Glaz at Hartline. Apparently the first agent at Hartline didn't respond because she changed agencies. She handed it to another agent who was too busy. She handed it to an agent who only worked there for three months. Linda just started being an agent when the submission was handed to her. She asked for the full and told me it would be a month or two. Two days later, she said she couldn't put it down and offered me representation. I'm thrilled with Linda as an agent. She's only been an agent for a little over 2 years and has made tons of sales. My manuscripts haven't sold yet, but it's only a matter of God's timing.

I'm working through the agent search presently. So far I've spent about 60 hours in research and came up with 8 agents that looked like a good fit for my non-fiction proposal. I queried and so far have 1 no thanks and 2 send the proposals, including one who wants series ideas.

If all 8 of these don't pan out, I'll be back to slogging through the research. Well, I'll probably keep slogging while the proposals are out anyway...

It's a long road to publication. But it's what we do.

Good luck, Nora. BTW, I keep forgetting to mention how much I love your new avatar! Now that your kittycat avatar has been replaced I have such an entirely new idea of who you are!

Thanks Tamara! I so appreciate the prayers.

My book is a 30-day meditative study about living the character traits and circumstances of Queen Esther. One agent wanted a series proposal so I'm working on finding 30 lessons each for several other Bible gals. Ruth of course, JC's Mary, Elizabeth, Eve and Rahab could each have their own book; combo books for the M & M sisters, the other Marys could share, and maybe Deborah and Jael together. 30 lessons can be tough to uncover when the woman only gets a couple of sentences in the Bible...

Such a great idea. Rebekkah, Sarah, and some of David's wives might work too.

R & S and Abigail are on my list, along with Hannah and Hagar. Finding 30 lessons for each is tougher. Even if the idea doesn't sell, wow--is God taking me through scripture looking for lessons to learn. Always a good thing!

Carol, I'm sure you're find what you need. It's no wonder it's difficult to find 30 lessons on each one considering how most women were treated back in the day. Jesus is indeed the greated women liberer ever.

God bless you in your efforts.

Yes, I swiped that avatar from a FB thingy someone had posted on their wall. It fits really well even with all my faults. I got me a good hubby and he's got a good wifey....and I keep reminding him of it.

Have a good one.

I'm not published yet, but I did meet an agent at a writer's conference last summer. He said that everyone has to send him a query latter, whether he has met them in person or not. He did say we were welcome to mention in the query that we had met him at the conference, but I got the distinct impression that it wouldn't make that much of a difference. The writing is what matters.

Just my 2 cants.

Yes, each agent has different submission requirements--usually starting with a query. But each agency will require something different in the query before agreeing (or not) to a proposal or synopsis. And each proposal or synopsis has different requirements before you're allowed to send the full manuscript.

It'd make life easier if everyone had the same submission requirements or if there was a standard query, synopsis or proposal. But no one ever said this was easy...

Part of what agents and editors do with all the different formatting requirements is see what writers can follow the rules. Following rules is a good thing.

literatparakeet....love that nickname

Carol, it would indeed make life easier if all agents were more similiar. I'm no way near ready to query and I'm already getting that sense.

I was browsing for agents who handle Christian writers and I came across a website that I haven't before. It's called the William K. Jensen Literary Agency. Has anyone here worked with them? His bio is very impressive, as are the bios of the other agents. There is a modest list of authors and when I check their books on Amazon, they seem to have good reviews.

Here is the link to his site. I was wondering if anyone here might be a client and might provide feedback? I am considering querying him concerning my novel once it's back from the editor. http://www.wkjagency.com/index.php

This is also an interesting site in which I found a bit of information, though not much. I haven't seen this site before. Does anyone utilize it? http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=1816

William K. Jensen is legit. I have another agent, but I have submitted to him in the past.

Guest stevehut

Have any of you traditionally published people found an agent by being recommended? If so, how did that go?

How about, just go to a conference that has agents on board? :cool: That's the absolute best way around that firewall. If you don't already know someone who can recommend you, it might take a while.

Guest stevehut

So after 3 months, I sent it to other agents.

I've never granted anyone an exclusive. Those 3-month waits can stall your career for a very long time. I figure, either they want your work, or they don't.

Guest stevehut

He did say we were welcome to mention in the query that we had met him at the conference, but I got the distinct impression that it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Actually, it could matter a lot. Your professionalism at the meeting will set you apart from the slush pile.

Guest stevehut

I was browsing for agents who handle Christian writers and I came across a website that I haven't before. It's called the William K. Jensen Literary Agency.

I know Bill. He has been in the biz for decades, and he's one of the top agents in the Christian market.

Thank you for replying, Steve. I was impressed with is site and the credentials there. Further checking has turned up some promising results. It looks like he has an active teaching/presenting schedule.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.