Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VisionWriter

Game: Tell Challenge

Tell: Afraid she locked the door.

Show: This evening, sub-contractors had just finished renovating the rest of the house. Except this master bedroom. So much anticipation . . . now a deep pang of regret. Was it a betrayal to past memories to start completely wiping the facade from this room in the a.m.? Why not just leave it alone? Just then, Karen's cell phone rang. It's Rick's name. Would he, husband of 16 years, agree?

Tell: What an archaic sound! That's an ice cream truck churning out kiddy music, and it's a block away now.

Oops. Sorry guys... I did the challenge from my phone and I only noticed now that there were several posts after the one I did. My bad people...

Tell: What an archaic sound! That's an ice cream truck churning out kiddy music, and it's a block away now.

Show: Sally stood by the curb holding her eager daughters hand. "Look Mommy, the twuck." Sally looked down the road and saw the multi-colored truck billowing out its canned kiddy music bringing its frozen wares. She thought, some things never change.

Tell: The computer never works right.

Tell: The computer never works right.

Show: I slouched. An e-mail from the IT department said, "Your software is working as designed". Why does everyone get away with this but the "user"?, I mused. The toy store is right, the hamburger flipper is right, the politician is right--now the IT office is right. Unless I prove otherwise. Is this French jurisprudence, guility until proven not so? Whatever happened to, "The customer is right"? Quality Improvement has evolved from gauging customer satisfaction to a PR campaign touting satisfaction with meeting internal expectations. Pardon me while I unhitch my cart and tie it to a post :cool:!

Tell: It was time for a few praise songs in the morning service. Into the first few notes, the overheard projector broke. Silence.

Tell: It was time for a few praise songs In the morning service. Into the first few notes, the overhead projector broke. Silence.

Show: Jimmy, the praise and worship minister stood on the platform and started clapping his hands to the sound of the music. "Okay everyone, help me on this new song, you can follow lyrics on the overhead." Knowing the song by heart, he closed his eyes yielding to the Spirit's moving. The moment of rapture suddenly faded to silence, and he opened his eyes to a mass of blank faces staring at a empty screen.

Tell: It was love at first sight.

Tell: It was love at first sight.

Show: No, not a yearling. It was a photo of a woman I had not met. In the hallway of a house of a friend.

The photo was of his oldest daughter. "Oldest?", I thought, when I heard the identification after I asked.

I thought, "She is so young in my heart, I feel opened." That conviction never left. We married--now going on 37

years.

Tell: The yo-yo and hula hoop: these have had practical applications in my life.

Tell: The yo-yo and hula hoop: these have had practical applications in my life.

Show: At the time, I hadn't given much thought to showing my sons how to maneuver two retro, throw-back toys as a yo-yo and hula hoop. They were both impulse buys at the local second-hand shop and I figured it was a fun time to pass the afternoon. But when I recall the sparkle in their eyes when they say, "Daddy, look at what I can do," my pride can only be riveled by theirs. The walls echoed their laughter which lasted not the anticipated hours, but for days. And those pieces of second-hand, throw-back plastic has created memories for my children and myself, where nothing nor no one can ever take away.

Tell: He fell off his bike.

Tell: He fell off his bike.

Show: Billy sat on his new bicycle gripping the handlebar tightly waiting for his father to give him a shove. His father ask, "Are you ready?" He shook his head and off he went. With determination, he snatched the handlebars back and forth trying to steady the unruly brute. The wobbly machine finally yielded to demands of its master. As he turned to his father with a smile of satisfaction, his father yelled, "Look ou..." but it was too late, a tree jumped in front of him and to the ground he went.

Tell: The honeymoon was wonderful.

Tell: The honeymoon was wonderful.

Show: The sensation of his gentle touch, the taste of strawberry cake, the breeze of the cool California winds sparked back into her mind as she exited the hotel.

Tell: The house flooded.

Tell: The house flooded.

Show: "Not again!" I cried in frustration as I ran for more towels, ignoring the ache in my muscles as the icy water swallowed my feet. I was wasting my time. Rain continued to pour outside, water oozed through the gap beneath the weathered door and covered the kitchen floor. My shoulders slumped in defeat as I gazed down the wet hall.

Tell: I swallowed a bug.

Tell: I swallowed a bug.

Show: Mary swatted at the menacing fly buzzing around her face. She opened her mouth to curse the intruder, but before she could utter the words, the tiny insect darted past her pearly whites and landed on the back of her tongue. She gagged, but it was too late, the little fellow slid down her throat causing her to shutter.

Tell: He was afraid to ask her out.

tell: He was afraid to ask her out.

Show: Tom brushed his knuckles against his chin. His heart pounded in his ears. Was that perspiration he felt on his forehead? Sucking in a deep breath he took a step forward, "Jane, will you go out with me?"

Tell: A look of horror crossed her face.

Tell: A look of horror crossed her face.

Show: "As I was saying ... " she broke off mid-sentence, her gaze fixed over his shoulder. Her mouth gaped open and the color drained from her face. She tried to speak again, but only jumbled stuttering came out.

Tell: He admired the horse.

Tell: He admired the horse.

Show: Joel peered through the fence watching the stallion graze. The early morning sun accented the chiseled features and flowing mane of the black beauty. "One day..." he said to himself. "I'm going to ride you, but Daddy says, I need to be older."

Tell: The little boy tried to wrestle the sheep to the ground.

Tell: The little boy tried to wrestle the sheep to the ground.

Show: The small boy ran toward the sheep and jumped on its back. Before he could wrap his arms around the neck and shove it down to its side he slipped off and slammed into the dirt.

Tell: She cooked a romantic meal.

Tell: She cooked a romantic meal.

Show: Jake opened the door to his quaint little apartment. The succulent smell of lightly scented candles, blended with herbs, spices and soft love songs filled the dimly lit room. As his eyes adjusted to the light, he spotted two flickering flames on the diner table accented by a colorful culinary delight. Standing at the end of the romantic showcase with a girlish smile was his wife. He thought to himself, I wonder what's for desert?

Tell: The evening was wonderful.

Tell: The evening was wonderful.

Show: As they strolled down the street, he felt her snuggle closer, hugging his arm tighter, no words needing to be exchanged between them, for the thirty years of marriage had brought to them an understanding of what brought joy to each other.

Tell: He sat in a traffic jam.

Show: He looked at his Rolex, slammed his head against the headrest of his Boxer BMW, and hit the steering wheel with the palm of his hand. Just what I need, another one hour delay on the I-440.

Tell: He was trapped and had nowhere to go.

Tell: He was trapped and had nowhere to go.

Show: Mrs. Berry wasn't a bad person, but she would turn a simple greeting into an hour long update of every pain and loss of bodily fluid that her 82 year old body has succumbed to, and now that her eyes locked on him the clothing racks would provide no cover of escape.

Tell: They got her order wrong at the drive-thru.

Tell: They got her order wrong at the drive-thru.

Show: Today she could splurge on her diet, and her nose tempted her taste-buds with the aroma of King Burgers special burger. She sat on the couch and removed the greasy burger from the bag. Closing her eyes, she took a big bite in anticipation of the succulent morsel, but instead, the delight quickly turned into a crunchy dill disaster. Her eyes sprung open, she quickly removed the top bun, and fumed, I told them I didn't want pickles, next time I'll go in.

Tell: How do I tell him I'm pregnant?

Show: The wheels crumpled under him, leaving him deeply inhaling the pavement.

Tell: She wept for a long time.

Show: Her arms were tight around his familiar, thickly-furred neck; her head against his. The veterinarian did what she needed to do - now her companion of fifteen wonderful years wouldn't suffer any more, but how could she ever let go of him?

Tell: Her heart was heavy.

Show: She whispered in that furry ear, "You were a good dog," then reluctantly withdrew from the still body, tears burning her cheeks, chokingly thanked the vet, and went home to an empty house.

Show: She whispered in that furry ear, "You were a good dog," then reluctantly withdrew from the still body, tears burning her cheeks, chokingly thanked the vet, and went home to an empty house.

Lynn, do you have a tell?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.