Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VisionWriter

Game: Tell Challenge

Tell: The kid with thick glasses said, "I have a Dungeons and Dragons game".

Show: The nerdy boy with coke-bottle glasses sneered, "I have a Dungeons and Dragons game."

Tell: He was getting sleepy.

Show: The exhausted toddler cuddled into his Nonnie, giving them both exquisite delight, as he fought off the concept of sleep.

Tell: He was getting sleepy

Show: His head sank to his chest and snapped back up. The droning of the motor, and the white lines flashing by him on the dark pavement was a perfect combination for disaster.

Tell: He could feel the darkness.

Tell: He could feel the darkness

Show: He was wrapped in cold, no sense of place or time. Was his hand in front of his eyes? Could he take a step without without peril? He started to feel closed in and trapped. He screamed, "Someone turn on the light!" He was afraid even to kneel and pray. The wall of darkness was so close, so imposing. He was afraid.

Tell: He waited for a job interview.

Tell: He waited for a job interview.

Show: He knew it would come. Getting the interview wasn't his problem. He already had 17 and was rejected by all of them.

Could it be, he wondered, if his personal appearance repelled the hiring managers?

Tell: The hiring manager looked up as the door opened and was shocked speechless. His next

job candidate strained to fit through the doorway, all 450 pounds of him.

@ R.Thompson - Glad you've decided to play the game with us. Just make sure the "tell" you leave is something the next poster can "show."

Thanks! :D

Calamity,

Didn't I do that???

Perhaps I gave too much information??

Help!!!

No worries. So, for example, if the previous poster left a "tell" of "The baby cried." and I was the next poster, my post might look something like this:

Tell: The baby cried.

Show: The infant scrunched up his face and wailed.

Tell: She was scared.

The idea here is to challenge each other to "show" what's going on in a sentence rather than "tell". So the poster after me would take my challenge "She was scared." and write a sentence showing that she was scared rather than telling that she is scared. Make sense? So the show might be something like "Her blood ran cold as the intruder drew near."

It's just a fun way to practice being descriptive. Here's one to get you started:

Tell: He was hungry.

Tell: He was hungry.

Show: He hadn't eaten in 4 days.

Tell: The refrigerator was empty.

Tell: The refrigerator was empty.

Show: As his stomach growled, he opened the refrigerator door only to find himself staring at cold, empty shelves.

Tell: The girl sang a song.

Tell: The girl sand a song.

Show: Her voice caused a stampede for the exits.

Tell: The girl sand (sic) a song.

Show: Hated hearing her hymn. Like she scribbled the alphabet all over my face. With coarse sandpaper.

Tell 2: She dropped her ring down a hole in the stage.

Tell: She dropped her ring down a hole in the stage.

Show: Helpless to catch it, she cried out as her grandmother's ring slipped from her finger and plunged through a gap into the abyss below the stage.

Tell: The plant died.

Tell: He fell off his bicycle.

Show: Gingerly lifting himself off the pavement, he glanced down at the seeping abrasion on his left knee

Tell: A transport truck was barrelling towards him at top speed.

Tell: A transport truck was barreling towards him at top speed.

Show: Frozen by the sight of the transport truck weaving in and out of traffic coming down the mountain, he knew it would be a matter of seconds before his demise.

Tell: The explosion was bad

Tell: The explosion was bad.

Show: The explosion deafened her, and panic filled her mind as screams and pain registered.

Tell: She felt depressed.

Tell: She felt depressed.

Show: LeAnn sat in the corner of the room with her knees drawn to her chest, was life even worth it anymore.

Tell: She looked twenty.

Tell: She looked twenty.

Show: Smiling, she looked in the mirror; a fresh start in life had erased the stress-filled years dramatically.

Tell: The boy was excited about summer vacation.

Show: "Only 2 more weeks," he thought, and the thought drowned out the teacher's voice. "In two weeks I'll be free. No homework, no getting up to catch a bus, no going to bed early." He gazed out the window, Suddenly, he heard his hame and knew he was in trouble. "Oh well, only two more weeks."

Tell: The floor was dirty.

Tell: The floor was dirty.

Show: Sandy walked across the oak hardwood floor in the kitchen, her bedroom shoe stuck in one spot, and the other crackled beneath her foot against the Rice Krispies.

Tell: He couldn't think.

Tell: He couldn't think.

Show: His ears rang, and the blinding headache cut short any thoughts that might have tried to develop.

Tell: She panicked.

Tell: She panicked

Show: The walls inside crashed down, as her blood raced through her veins. She felt herself hyperventilate. So many thoughts in her head, so little cohesion. So much adrenalin flowing through, but nowhere to go. Leaping about like a crazed maniac, she screamed at the top of her lungs.

Tell: Batman disappearing. :)

Tell: Batman Disappearing

Show: The smoke cleared, and the only thing left in the chair, was a set of ropes draped across the arms, and a heap coiled around each front leg. HIs caped enemy was nothing more than thin air.

Tell: Time stopped, but sound continued.

Tell: Time sopped, but sound continued.

Show: The clock ticked its last second, fazing under the blanket of rainfall.

Tell: The tiger swam.

Tell: The tiger swam

Show: The big cat was following him into the water, and the four huge paws were pushing the ferocious beast with the ferocious teeth closer and closer!

Show: Her friend was dying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.