Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VisionWriter

Game: Tell Challenge

Tell: The wind blew.

Show: Sam stood at her bay window watching dark gray clouds roll across the sky. Trees shook violently, and the eves of the house whistled an eerie sound with each wave of wind. Trying to push aside her fear she remarked to herself, "This would definitely make for a bad hair day."

Tell: She couldn't sleep

She couldn't sleep:

It was too dark to see the ceiling but she stared at it anyway. Thoughts were muffled in her head. She might as well try. She rolled over and closed her eyes. They opened again five seconds later.

She tossed onto her back and stared into nothing once again.

Tell: The boy refused to go to (location optional)

Tell: The boy refused to go to the movie house.

Show: He clung to his mom's yellow skirt.

Tell: Ben loves to sing.

Showing Ben loves to sing:

Ben threw his head back and let out a high pitched note, his voice cracking terribly. He rolled his neck and smiled. That felt good.

For him.

"What song next guys?" He asked his friends.

They groaned.

AN ALPHABET WORD/SENTENCE GAME

Just for fun and enrich vocabulary let's play a game. Write a sentence using the alphabet of the English language in order as the beginning of your second, third, fourth and fifth words. These four words can be any word(or parts of speech) Except Proper nouns. But if we want it to be a bit challenging, it's nice to stick to verbs and adjectives You have to continue the sequence of the alphabet until you reach the last letter of the alphabet. Then begin again with the first letter in the next sentence and so on.Join the challenge with me!

Ex. Kyle aspires bravery come dental check up next month.

Sounds interesting! May I suggest you start another thread for this game so the original game can continue as well?

Welcome to the community!

AN ALPHABET WORD/SENTENCE GAME

Just for fun and enrich vocabulary let's play a game. Write a sentence using the alphabet of the English language in order as the beginning of your second, third, fourth and fifth words. These four words can be any word(or parts of speech) Except Proper nouns. But if we want it to be a bit challenging, it's nice to stick to verbs and adjectives You have to continue the sequence of the alphabet until you reach the last letter of the alphabet. Then begin again with the first letter in the next sentence and so on.Join the challenge with me!

Ex. Kyle aspires bravery come dental check up next month.

Sounds interesting! May I suggest you start another thread for this game so the original game can continue as well?

Welcome to the community!

help me delete my post here pls. I am not suppose to place it here. Accidental.

I think you did. It's not showing up on my page now.

help me delete my post here pls. I am not suppose to place it here. Accidental.

Tell: He brushed his teeth.

Show: He went from bad breath to foaming at the mouth with each scrub of the toothbrush.

Tell: She fell on the ice.

Tell: He brushed his teeth.

Show: He went from bad breath to foaming at the mouth with each scrub of the toothbrush.

Tell: She fell on the ice.

Show: Dropping and breaking the crystal vase she special ordered for her grandparents 40th wedding anniversary.

The footsteps thundered down the hall towards Jane's office. A heaving, round shadow teetered over the threshold, and almost fell into the visitors' chair. Jane glanced up from her keyboard. Barry's cheeks were a bright shade of red, and tendrils of sweat glistened on his temple. He pulled weakly at his tie. His breaths were laboured as he bent down, leaning one hand on his knees. In his other hand he clasped a trembling green folder. After a few moments, the accountant waved it feebly towards Jane's desk.

"You ... whoo! ... you said you ... hah ... were wanting that report?" he panted.

Jane glanced at her watch.

"You're a bit late," she said.

Tell: She patted the puppy.

Showing she patted the puppy:

"He's so soft," she giggled.

The puppy's silky hair was incredibly fun to tease. She grabbed a bunch and then let it slide through her fingers.

"Let's run along, dear." the girl's mother said.

"awwww!" The girl booed, though still smiling. She ruffled the fur atop the dog's head and then gave it a few quick pats before following her mother.

Show: The woods(forest) were beautiful

*Keep in mind your "show" should only be a couple sentences long.

Tell: The woods(forest) were beautiful

Show: Golden beams shone warmly through breaks in the thick pine canopy. The fragrance of vibrant foliage hung in the air.

Tell: He helped his dad.

Tell: He helped his dad.

Show: He pulled the grasses from the ground.

Tell: He baked pancakes to feed some street children.

Tell: He baked pancakes to feed some street children.

Show: With joy, he poured the batter on the grill and let it sizzle for a moment before flipping the cakes. Then, piling them up on a plate, he handed them to the eagerly waiting street urchins.

Tell: She baked cookies.

Showing She baked cookies:

She cracked two eggs over the bowl and reached over to grab the whisk.

'I hope these ones turn out.' she thought as she stirred. She added the next ingredients.

'What if I add them in the wrong order? Does it matter? Please turn out please please...'

The batter thickened. 'Ok,' she breathed. She washed her hands again and started rolling bits of the dough into balls and placing them on a cookie sheet. She soon had the sheet full.

Actually holding her breath, she opened the oven and placed the cookies inside.

or

She opened the oven and the warm smell of chocolate poured out. She closed her eyes as she inhaled the heavenly smell. Then she took the cookies out of the oven.

ps: I hate cooking. :)

Tell: The kids got in a huge fight.

Show: She had just settled down with her cup of tea. With a sigh she settled into the couch, wrapping her furry house robe tighter around here. Peace, quiet, and blessed stillness....

It wasn't to last, however. Like the rumbling of a distant storm, the thudding of feet on the floor above sounded. She felt the peace and stillness of the moment leave her, as her seventh-mom-sense kicked in, telling her that something was coming to disturb her evening.

At the first shriek, she jumped up, set her cup on the counter and made her way up the stairs. The shrieks, cries, and mayhem grew louder with every one of her hurried footsteps. Upon arriving in the bedroom, she dully disentangled three little bodies from the writhing mass of human pretzel they had entangled themselves in.

Numbly, she listened to them all scream the faults of their siblings to her at the same time.

From the bedroom, face buried in a pillow, came the deep voice of her husband, still half asleep and unmoving.

"Kids, listen to your mother."

Tell: He slayed the dragon.

Tell: He saved the princess.

Show: The tower guard raised the visor on his armor. Peter took notice of the man's battle hardened face with a missing eye and a deep scar across its socket. He had heard frightening stories about this man, but nothing would stop him from saving the princess.

The guard looked down at his foe and smiled. "Who do you think you are?"

Peter raised his bloody sword. "I am Peter the great, and I come in the name of the Lord, and you will die."

The guard's laughter filled the hollow halls of the castle. In one fluid motion, the towering tapestry of metal drew his sword and sliced through the air. Peter ducked as the glittering piece of steel snatched the barett from his head. He quickly surveyed the behemoth's armor and spotted a flaw. Lunging toward his enemy, he sunk his sword just below the man's fifth rib. The giant gasped looking at lad with wide eyes and fell to the ground.

Peter sprinted to the top of the castle tower, opened the heavy wooden door, and the princess ran to his arms.

Tell: She was thankful for the rescue.

Tell: She was thankful for the rescue.

Show: Sweat beaded at her temples as her stepmother launched a plethora of personal questions at her. On cue her sister swooped in like a hawk, hooking her stepmother with her arm as she gently directed the woman’s attention toward their arriving guest. The wink from her sister confirmed her stepmother would be busy for the rest of the party.

Tell: The beast charged the little girl.

Show: With steps like thunder, the snarling Korax burst through the line of trees, saliva and foam dripping from its mouth. Its blood-red eyes trained on a tiny figure in a lace dress. Little Annabella remained frozen in place as it roared and launched itself full-speed across the empty space.

Tell: she was shocked.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.