Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colleen Hoffman

Greetings From A Reluctant Hostess! :)

Hello everyone. I have landed here with you all as a result of a desire to join a writing group with experts who will help me make my manuscript the best it can be. Allow me to introduce myself. I am a 50-something (shhhhhhhh) wife, mother, and grandmother who has wandered mostly aimlessly through life thus far, still not knowing exactly what I want to be when I grow up and coming dangerously close to the decision-making deadline. Or, I may have tripped over that line already - which could explain why my back hurts (just kidding). I have discovered over these mostly vagabond years that I have a rather fiendish hankerin' for spoiling people (thanks to my husband's work ethic and generosity), which rivals my love for writing (mostly insignificant stuff). I was born and raised in small town Wyoming where there was a post office, a bank, a grocery store, and a church for every saloon. I was the oldest of four prissy tom-boy type girls, who mostly enjoyed rough and tumble adventures in the prairie outback that was our "backyard." Summer's were spent swimming, making mud pies, taking long bike rides over oilfield roads for far-off abandoned shacks, catching frogs, salamanders, and ladybugs, and teasing the local boys; and windy cold winters were grudgingly tolerated with such activities as ice skating on frozen ponds, sledding down the only hill in town, making snowmen, snow forts, and snow ant farms, as mother nature provided, school, and distracting our parents and grandparents from their multiple chores.

Perhaps because of my upbringing, I am quite good at entertaining myself, but not sure if I am any good at entertaining others. That's where YOU come in. A few years ago I felt the Lord compelling me to compiled several things near to my heart into a book...many many hours of Bible study, many many years of cooking and recipe collecting, prayers, table manners, and a few personal confessions. Would there perhaps be someone here who would desire to give me some feedback on if this manuscript is a marketable concept; how I may go about getting some inexpensive editing for it; and offer some professional advice before I take the BIG plunge to make it available on the national market scene? (FEAR) Yep, that about covers it. Did I do this right? Lovely to meet you. :) Here is a link to my book. Click on "PREVIEW" under the book cover photo for a 20-page sample of what's inside. Thank you fellow writers so much for your feedback. http://www.lulu.com/shop/colleen-hill-hoffman/come-for-supper-the-memoirs-of-a-reluctant-hostess-bw-edition/paperback/product-21467859.html

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. Be sure to check out the FAQ to see how things run around here, especially the workshop. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing!

Hi Colleen!

I looked at your book preview~ what a great concept! I love how you tied in so many elements for an Asian night of hostessing. I read (speedily) through some of your writings! I think you and I have a similar style! :) I call Texas home too. Where were you at? We were outside of Austin, in Cedar Park. My kids are true Texan born! Now, I am in a small town, like you describe, only in MN. Pop 920 +/-, depending on the day! I understand a town that only has essentials. We have to drive over 30 miles to get to a Walmart.

I can't help you with any of your publishing/marketing issues. I did belong to a writer's group in Texas, and we helped each other look at our work from other perspectives. If you want any outside, just your average reader kind of perspective, I could give it a go. Just let me know! :)

Hope you have a great day! ~Geo

Hey,

Sounds like you are ready for the ride! As many undetermined factors as there are, never lose sight of what God has already revealed. :-)

Happy writing!

I like it! At first glance why it was called a Memoir wasn't clear, though. You might want to add something to your blurb about the book that would explain why it is called a Memoir. The title gives me a different idea of the book than the blurb does.

Skaer, thank you ever sooo much for taking the time to read the blurb and leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback. Perhaps "memoirs" isn't the right word??? I used it because it is an "informal record/reminder" of God's calling to be hospitable (and my confession that I have been reluctant about tending to that calling). Is it "autobiographical?" I have stories throughout the book of little glimpses of my life.... a conversation I had with my dad...a little blurb about my mom...a scripture God put on my heart for a friend...little bits about my family and friends, etc. And the book is my ultimate journey with Jesus (how I got saved, and the learning journey of this topic He has taken me on). It is also my collection of recipes...a diary of my pictures....my collection of prayers, and my dinner party ideas. In my estimation it is definitely "an account of something (I think) is noteworthy". I don't know. Maybe if you saw the whole thing???? I am totally open to suggestions for a better word for the title. Actually, I could totally use some help writing the blurbs for the book. That is sooooo hard for me for some reason to try to nail down and summarize what the book is about and leave the shopper dying to know more. :)

Colleen, you'll get better answers if you post your question in the writers forum since Meet and Greet is strictly for introducing oneself.