Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tbsea

Not New But Just Got Back On

I have been on this site for several months I finally got my password correct. I came on here hoping to get someone to read my stories. I have been writing now for several years I write Christian fiction. I have 17 books on my website. The frustrating thing is getting anyone to read them. I have zero hits on my website now apprantly no one is interested or my stories are really bad.

I have come to the point of just quitting writing I guess its just not for me the website is expensive especially when no one looks at it. Several months ago I was on this site and gave out my information and at first got lots of replies. Unfortunately I am older and most of what was said went over my head. I have been trying in vain to get back on here and I guess because its Christmas they finally let me back. Unless there is some way to get someone to comment on my writing I'll either quit or just write for my own pleasure, can't afford to keep a website going. Certainly couldn't afford to have books printed any help would be appreciated.

The actual writing comes easy to me I can write for hours and the stories just flow thats all well and fine but if what I write is not good enough to read then why write it?

First, websites are very difficult to use without a lot of money. One that will actually get you traffic will cost you the service of a web developer and a few thousand dollars at least [& I design websites myself].

A blog will do much better and/or a Facebook account. Ask marketing questions and you'll find a lot of help on this site.

You have to do your own marketing, however The Lord leads you to do that.

I have been on the computer for years but I am still somewhat illiterate as to how it works. I would have no idea how start a blog or put up thousands of pages on Facebook. All blogs I have seen are short articles or writings the same with Facebook. Facebook seems to me to be all spam I get 20 of them a day from people I don't know and have never heard of. If I go on Facebook will lots of people be willing to read a 300 page book? Thanks for any help

First off, welcome to CW.

Second, if you want more responses to your question, I suggest you copy and paste it in the Writer's Lounge. You will get more responses that way. Also, there are free blogs that you can use. I don't know what the page limit is on those though.

If you want to know if your writing is any good, I suggest you check out the FAQ on the Writers' Critique Forum. You have to post several things in the general forums, then you will need to critique a few items on the Critique forum in order to rack up points. Once that's done (it's not nearly as hard as it sounds), you can post a couple of thousand words at the time and people will critique you. Now, I will warn you, it's better if you do a short paragraph at the beginning of your piece to tell people what kind of critique you want: grammar, overall, makes sense, etc.

God bless,

To get people to your site to ready your work, you need to connect with others on FB, Twitter, etc. Interacting with others in groups, especially on FB, is essential. If you don't connect with others, how will anyone know of your work? Those "others" are your platform, your audience. Those to whom you want to later sell your work. Don't give up. It takes a lot of time and effort to connect with others but you have to put yourself out there.

To get people to your site to ready your work' date=' you need to connect with others on FB, Twitter, etc. Interacting with others in groups, especially on FB, is essential. If you don't connect with others, how will anyone know of your work? Those "others" are your platform, your audience. Those to whom you want to later sell your work. Don't give up. It takes a lot of time and effort to connect with others but you have to put yourself out there.[/quote']I agree with Lynn. Also, research some ways to get your site higher up on the search engines. This is where tags come in. Depending upon your website, it does help.

God bless,

I feel your despair - but please don't give in just yet - firstly starting a free blog really is very user friendly these days - I use blogspot - see http://musings-ems.blogspot.co.uk/ as an example - try googling blogspot - and along with FB a great way of building up a fan base/steady traffic of viewers - the so-called "platform" that all writers need. You could have a special FB page for your books - LynnMosher is right - Nothing comes easy - we all have to work at this and yes it is hard work but there's a forum somewhere here where you can post your questions to get members' help. I have belonged here for quite a while but still havn't really used the site and hope to start now! What is your web address by the way? I'd like to check it out. :)

Thanks for all the replies as I said before, writing comes easy to me, but posting on Blogs and Facebook does not. I will need to hire someone to get me started on those places. I am not real quick when it comes to that. It was suggested I post on the writers Lounge I'm sorry to say but they must be talking about another website I spent half an hour and I don't see any reference to a writers lounge on this site. I do love to write and do it every day but after while it gets old apparently no one likes it but me. Going on the cretic would be great but that involves correcting grammar, punctuation etc. It really does not do much good if the stories are bad, uninteresting, don't make sence or just plain awful. It is my desire to get some feedback on the stories I know all my works are in the form of rough drafts complete with spelling errors and the lack of punctuation. I could not afford to have them professionally formatted or edited unless I knew the outcome would be good. I'm not necessarily interested in making lots of money enough to maintain a web site or anything else would be okay with me. I just want this to be, if possible a ministry, but then again maybe its not my calling to write Christian fiction. My website is www.goldenmorninginspirationals.com I have 17 books complete with covers some are short and some are likely to long, I don't copy anything other then the location of something in the story the rest all comes from me. My stories all glorify God and display Christian virtues. Right now I have two more books done and ready to go up somewhere? I use a pen name so my name is not Carey Weaver, I use it because it sounds better then my own name. Again comments on my writing is what I really want good or bad. Thank You

I'm so sorry you had trouble. The forum was formerly named Writers' Lounge but not too long ago was renamed Christian Writing, Publishing, and Marketing.

If you will critique two works of others in the Writers' Workshop, you can then post one work of yours if it is no longer than 2500-3000 words. This ratio 2-to-1 is kept throughout. Critique two others=post one work of yours. When you post your work, add a paragraph at the top to let others know what kind of critique you are looking for: punctuation and spelling only, makes sense, flow, characterization, dialogue, or whatever.

Hope this helps. :D

Thanks again for the replies to my posts. I have more questions Face Book is a social place where friends, relatives and accountancies meet. How could I put books up there who would read them? Is there a way to make it public my daughter tells me only the people I let be friends can read it? She says it’s not good to use a pen name it could get you in trouble? Yet many famous authors use pen names. She also says these sites are for young people only is that true? Twitter and blogs are both a mystery to me as to how this would help. I guess I'm from a different time, I remember my Dad saying back in 1912 the older generation saying I will never drive one of those modern cars and many never did. I love all the new gadgets and electronic gear available now, I have the latest I or smart phone but only know how to use the phone part, the rest "well" let’s say it doesn't get used. I say these things because I love writing but the days of publishing a book that you hold in your hand are quickly coming to an end. Getting anyone to ever read what I write is almost impossible; my own family will not read anything I write. It’s a dilemma.

tbsea, since this is only for introducing oneself, hop over to Writing, Publishing, and Marketing and pose your question there. I'll be happy to answer you over there. :D