Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elizabeth-davinia

hymn lines

What is your favourite hymn, song, or lines from a song or hymn?

I love the words,

"Rock of Ages, cleft for me. Let me hide myself in thee."

I like the double meaning - cleft as in broken and cleft as in a place I can hide.

Amazing Grace is my all time favorite:

the lines "that saved a wretch like me" sometimes brings me to tears

Oh, wow! You two have mentioned two of my most favorite. I cannot sing Rock of Ages. Why? 'Cause I cannot sing and blubber at the same time. You see, my special love, my grandmother (the only one I knew) loved to belt out the old hymns. I would sometimes sit with them in church and stand on the pew next to her as she and my grandfather stood to sing with the congregation. She could belt it out but never on key! I cry every time I hear that song. I think it was her favorite. She died when I was 13. That was 56 years ago. I still get blubbery!

Two more of my favorites:

There is a fountain filled with blood

drawn from Emmanuel's veins;

and sinners plunged beneath that flood

lose all their guilty stains.

And the refrain from the other...

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,

And He tells me I am His own,

And the joy we share as we tarry there,

None other has ever known

I would sometimes sit with them in church and stand on the pew next to her as she and my grandfather stood to sing with the congregation.

Lynn, what a lovely memory.

"Yes!", to all the above.

Whe I first came to receive Christ, I was blown away by the hymns.  At age 20, the opening lines of, "Like a river glorious" we're the first such lyrics that I heard.  The melody seemed simple enough to imitate in order to sing along, but I was overwhelmed.  I was just able  to clutch at the First Love in my Heart and bask in those astoundingly affirming words, here - http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Like_a_River_Glorious/

"Like a river glorious" we're the first such lyrics that I heard.

That is a lovely one. It brings back memories of the community I grew up in. I love this line: "Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there."

I've grown up with hymns, but during times when I have been spiritually/emotionally shipwrecked, hymns have been the part of a church service that "held me" most. Sometimes I've just cried through the hymns, unable to sing.

I miss the old ones, now that churches are not using them as much, but this morning we had a favourite I haven't heard for a long time.  "Be Thou My Vision." (here: http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Be_Thou_My_Vision/ )

Such beautiful words and lovely melody.

LOL I think we should rename this thread...If you're old enough to remember these hymns, please join in! xD

Elizabeth, very special memories! :57_cry:

It is a shame that the old hymns are only frequently sung. Granted, there are some wonderful contemporary songs. And thank you for the video, Ragamuser. :)

You're welcome, Lynn.  Right, for all ages!  

I am very glad that Elizabeth-D has opened up this sanctified box :) .  I am going to be perusing my, um, time-proven Broadman Baptist Hymnal.  Guess I can't say I am a hymn purist, not when I prefer "wretch" to "worm" :).  But, rubbing up against the roots is inspiring.  Good hymns have so many teachable moments as they flow by.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee, How great Thou art, How great Thou art

I love many, many of them, so this is just one of my favorites:

"And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;

The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,

Even so, it is well with my soul."

A lovely hymn. A favourite of mine as well.

If you aren't familiar with the story behind it, look it up. Written by a man who had lost his wife and daughters.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee, How great Thou art, How great Thou art

I believe I will take another since I posted under my assumed profile before. Not sure how that one came up but looks like I have two profiles here. Oh well, that cannot be all bad.  Oh, my second one. Not and old one but it is a great one.

Jesus – Jesus – Jesus, there’s just something about that name.

Neil, which is your other profile? And I love that song. I sing it quite often.

I guess when it comes right down to it, all the old hymns are beloved! :D

I had one with another email and when I posted the first hymn it showed up as my first post - got it all figured out now.

I love to play these old hymns on my harmonicas, sometimes I hear my wife humming something I just played, so of course, I keep quickly changing from song to song to see how long it takes her to figure out I'm messing with her.

I love to play these old hymns on my harmonicas, sometimes I hear my wife humming something I just played, so of course, I keep quickly changing from song to song to see how long it takes her to figure out I'm messing with her.

Are you 100% sure it is not the other way around but you are confused? :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My father used to sing to me,

"Over and over, like a mighty sea,

hallelujah,

comes the love of Jesus, rolling over me."

and I've never heard it anywhere else. 

Other than "Holy, Holy, Holy" or "How Firm a Foundation" no other hymns launch me so quickly into deep depths as "Just as I am".   The brilliance of hymns is that these paint immediately with great clarity God's  nature and love . . . and our nature and need.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.