Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NicoleMusic88

What's Your Favourite Christian Books?

A few that I enjoy...

BattleField of the Mind by Joyce Meyers

God's Wisdom for your Life by Ed Strauss

The Steps to Freedom in Christ by Neil T.Anderson

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Are We All God's Children by Bishop Edir Macedo

Seven Things the Holy Spirit Will Do in you by Chris Oyakhilome

In the Footseps of Jesus by Bishop Edir Maccedo

Basic Elements of the Christian Life by Witness Lee & Watchman Nee

Don't pack your Bags Yet by Anita Oyakhilome

Healing The Sick by T L Osborn

These are just some that I have read and are very good - comment the ones you enjoy and why!

My favorite Christian books are all by Joel Osteen. I also like The Resolution For Men from the movie Courageous. I like Joyce Meyers, but I have not read any of her books. I do like The Purpose Driven Life. It is well written, and insightful.

My favorite Christian books are all by Joel Osteen. I also like The Resolution For Men from the movie Courageous. I like Joyce Meyers, but I have not read any of her books. I do like The Purpose Driven Life. It is well written, and insightful.

You have read some I have read! Yes, Joyce has a very nice way of preaching; very to the point and straight forward. :cool: If you were to read one of her books, I suggest BattleField of the Mind. I think it is one of my favourite Christian books so far; then Purpose Driven Life.

I love Battlefield of the Mind, Purpose Driven Life, and How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth. I like Battlefield of the Mind because of Joyce Meyer's insights, her writing style, and her straightforwardness. I like Purpose Driven life (landmark book) because it is designed with a 40 day plan which is in the example of the 40 days of the Bible. I like How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth because it goes deeper into how to read the Bible, and gives really practical guidlines for reading the Bible.

Great question!

Sean

I love Battlefield of the Mind, Purpose Driven Life, and How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth. I like Battlefield of the Mind because of Joyce Meyer's insights, her writing style, and her straightforwardness. I like Purpose Driven life (landmark book) because it is designed with a 40 day plan which is in the example of the 40 days of the Bible. I like How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth because it goes deeper into how to read the Bible, and gives really practical guidlines for reading the Bible.

Great question!

Sean

Thanks! Lovely to hear your comments; and I am glad to see that you guys have read the same books as me, B) . I will check out How to Read the Bible for All It's Worth. Thanks so much for sharing! ;)

I'm re-reading Change Your Words Change Your Life by Joyce Meyer. It is very insightful and full of her own battles too.

Guest johnny botwrigh

The Saffron Robe, the story of Singda sing , Who Jesus appeared to, and was then led through the foot hills of Northern India , teaching the message of salvation , through the Lord Jesus Christ. meeting mystics in caves, and then into Tibet, where he meets the Dala Lama,

he takes time on his journey to really feed his spirit, remarkable story and witness.

In solitary confinement with Christ, Richard Wurmbrand, could you survive three and a half years in solitary confinement, the only time you leave your cell, is to be beaten and tortured, 13 years in all in a work labor camp, could you keep faith, mind body and soul together, this man did, by the grace of God,

both the above, very inspiring storys.

I'm re-reading Change Your Words Change Your Life by Joyce Meyer. It is very insightful and full of her own battles too.

Ooh, I haven't read that yet. That sounds like an interesting title - may also check that out. Thanks ;)

The Saffron Robe, the story of Singda sing , Who Jesus appeared to, and was then led through the foot hills of Northern India , teaching the message of salvation , through the Lord Jesus Christ. meeting mystics in caves, and then into Tibet, where he meets the Dala Lama,

he takes time on his journey to really feed his spirit, remarkable story and witness.

In solitary confinement with Christ, Richard Wurmbrand, could you survive three and a half years in solitary confinement, the only time you leave your cell, is to be beaten and tortured, 13 years in all in a work labor camp, could you keep faith, mind body and soul together, this man did, by the grace of God,

both the above, very inspiring storys.

Nice to hear all these different books - I need to add more to my collection :cool:

The Applause of Heaven--Max Lucado

Just Like Jesus--Max Lucado

Morning and Evening--C.H.Spurgeon

Lotus Buds--Amy Carmichael

Things as They Are--Amy Carmichael

Jesus Freaks--D.C.Talk

I try to read anything I can get my hands on by Elisabeth Elliot. I especially like THESE STRANGE ASHES and her biography of Amy Carmichael, A CHANCE TO DIE. Another favorite author is Nancy Leigh DeMoss. Her books, A PLACE OF QUIET REST and LIES WOMEN BELIEVE are excellent. If you want fiction, I really like these authors: T. Davis Bunn, Robert Whitlow, Craig Parshall, Kristen Heitzman, Linda Chaiken, and Tim LaHaye with Jerry Jenkins. I read one by Karen Kingsbury not too long ago, and it was quite good, too--well-written and exciting. I always look for missionary biographies. Talk about Christian encouragement . . .!

It's good to read Christian books, because it helps you to understand more in depth of what the Bible is telling us. Although there are some which should be avoided; not everything is trustworthy. It's good to pray to God for discernment and His wisdom to live in us, so we will know what is truth and what isn't. I'd rather read Christian books than read secular books :P

I love to read "The Purpose Driven Life"--have reread it six or seven times and "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S.Lewis. C.S. Lewis, in my opinion, bring alive the attributes of a non-Christian, as well as attributes of a Christian. For me, it is fascinating and illuminating reading...

Toni

You will WANT to read, "The HARBINGER." It is thought provoking and instructive.

I Loved, "THE BODY" by Chuck Colson

Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado

The Singer

The Song

The Finale - all three by Calvin Miller

I love anything by CS Lewis, especially his science fiction series: Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength.

Scott Hahn is also an awesome writer. I love The Lamb's Supper.

By far the Bible is the best.

It contains all the genres of literature at its finest.

Besides the Bible, there's "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" by John Owen, "Bondage of the Will" and "Religeous Affections" by Johnathan Edwards, and "The Institutes of the Christian Religion" by John Calvin.

Since we're talking about non-fiction:

The Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee

God's Plan for Man by Finis Dake

Revelation Unveiled by Finis Dake

The Three Battlegrounds by Francis Frangipane

Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer

The Bait of Satan by John Bevere

Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

All of these are classics or soon will be and all of them teach systematic theology. I like those kind of books much more than the pop Christian culture books that take Scripture out of context. These books and other like them explain Scripture clearly and in context.

There are some really fascinating Christian books out there - in nearly every genre.

One of my favorite author's hands down is C.S. Lewis. What he did in Mere Christianity is nothing short of masterful (if you live across the pond this book should impact you as parts of it was written during WWII. Many people couldn't understand why a God would allow such evil and the BBC asked Lewis to help explain it - those interviews were turned into a book that is pure brilliance. What he does in a sentence many authors can't do in a book! Screwtape Letters - again brilliant! I still read his Narnia series and just love them. Okay I'll stop blubbering on about him :)

As far as books that really challenge you as a Christian:

Crazy Love - Francis Chan - If you think about the Love God has for us, it's pretty crazy what He has done/does for us - shouldn't our love to him be just as crazy?

Radical - David Platt - Challenges the American Christian to reevaluate the American dream under the lense of the Gospel.

The Crucified Life - Tozer - How are we living a life fully devoted to Christ?

Not a fan - Kyle Idleman - are we just fans/cheerleaders for Christ, or are we members of the body of Christ where we get involved? Are we part of the team or do we just have the t-shirt?

With an exception of the Tozer book, the other three are fairly recent publications - but all of these are still easily accessible.

Be careful though, they could change your life!

Here are some favorites that I always recommend:

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

What's So Amazing About Grace - Philip Yancey

The Jesus I Never Knew - Philip Yancey

The Divine Conspiracy - Dallas Willard

The Spirit of the Disciplines - Dallas Willard

The Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger - Ron Sider

Living Like Jesus - Ron Sider

Invitation to the Jesus Life - Jan Johnson

Radical - David Platt

The Christian Atheist - Craig Groeschel

I know that is a long list, but these are great authors who have strengthened my faith. May God richly bless your ministry efforts in 2013!

I don't know if these count as Christan books but I really liked Madeline L'Engle's stuff, as well as Frank Peretti.

Oh, Blue Like Jazz is another classic

Always enjoy C.S. Lewis's work.

Right now I'm about to start Penetrating the Darkness by Jack Hayford.

A few that I enjoy...

BattleField of the Mind by Joyce Meyers

God's Wisdom for your Life by Ed Strauss

The Steps to Freedom in Christ by Neil T.Anderson

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Are We All God's Children by Bishop Edir Macedo

Seven Things the Holy Spirit Will Do in you by Chris Oyakhilome

In the Footseps of Jesus by Bishop Edir Maccedo

Basic Elements of the Christian Life by Witness Lee & Watchman Nee

Don't pack your Bags Yet by Anita Oyakhilome

These are just some that I have read and are very good - comment the ones you enjoy and why!

Follow me on Twitter @NicoleMusic88

Visit my Youtube channel: NicoleTProductions

Visit my Christian Website: http://shareyourtestimony.webnode.com/

Who hasn't read "Purpose Driven Life? I mostly enjoy biographies I see you are from the UK, my home country but am now living in Canada. I wrote a new novel this year available on Amazon.com called "I just want to be loved". Story is based in Glasgow and has a few twists and turns. Book can be downloaded as an e-book.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.