Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jonjovi

God's Not Dead

I just saw this movie preview and wanted to share it with everyone. Looks like it will be a great movie. It is called God's not dead, and it will be in theaters March 21st. I would like to take my daughter to see it. The movie also has music from The Newsboys. I posted a video to there song from the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_OTz-lpDjw

Awesome! I've never seen or heard of this before. Looks great!

i love that song by the way. "God's not dead He's surely alive He's living on the inside roaring like a lion!"

Song is stuck in my head now. :D

Thanks so much for the info! The words are so true; even though some would say that God is dead. All anyone has to do is look around. The evidence of God is everywhere.

Toni

I expect to be blown away by this movie. Super excited about it. It seems Christianity is taking a spot in the public eye more and more as the years pass. Also super exciting. And that song... It stays in my head aaaaalllll the time.

mmmmmmmmm. I do not know that band....but from appearances, they look like a rock band??

I know we are not suppose to judge by appearance...but appearance is what we have...God sees the heart...we do not.

We are suppose to avoid the "appearance of evil"

It is hard to find good music that has not copied the rock music genre,

but there is plenty out there that has chosen to be separate from the world's music.

My choice for my kids.....to keep them as far from the world as possible...especially when trying to teach them a Godly Truth.

It is hard enough to raise kids in this world, without sending them mixed signals.

Music is a powerful tool. Satan was the musical angel...he knows how to use that tool well, and he is using it..too well in the lives of Christian teens.

I would not take my kids to this movie for this reason...They hear that music when we watch movies,....yes...but if I am trying to teach a Godly Truth...no.

I expect to be blown away by this movie. Super excited about it. It seems Christianity is taking a spot in the public eye more and more as the years pass. Also super exciting. And that song... It stays in my head aaaaalllll the time.

Christianity is taking a spot???

....but it is a distorted spot, full of lies..... Satan is happy to feed the world lies about Christianity.

Like the new Noah movie coming out, which they tote to be...'based on the text'....it is not...they distort the Truth. Hollywood has no desire to get Truth right.

As the years pass, according to Scripture, things get worse...not better.

Music is a powerful tool. Satan was the musical angel...he knows how to use that tool well, and he is using it..too well in the lives of Christian teens.

I would not take my kids to this movie for this reason...They hear that music when we watch movies,....yes...but if I am trying to teach a Godly Truth...no.

Sorry, but are you suggesting that this movie is corrupted by Satan because it has "that kind" of music in it? That there can be no Godly truth in it because of rock music? Have you seen the movie?

I honestly have no idea if this movie has Godly truth in it because I haven't seen it yet. But it will be the overall story that will determine its worth, and not so much the music. The premise, however, is interesting. It deals with an issue that's been a major problem in colleges - particularly in my neck of the woods (Harvard, MIT, etc.)

I'll probably see it when it's released on DVD, only because that's how my family usually watches movies (cheaper that way).

I'm a bit confused. The Newsboys IS a Christian band and yes they do rock. Listen to their lyrics. Their heart is for God.

This is a movie I've been looking forward to. Have you seen the interview Kevin Sorbo gave on Fox & Friends? It was genuinely interesting to hear his take on the film and what it addresses. If you haven't seen it, I'll try to dig it up and post it!

"Sorry, but are you suggesting that this movie is corrupted by Satan because it has "that kind" of music in it? That there can be no Godly truth in it because of rock music? Have you seen the movie?"

"The Newsboys IS a Christian band and yes they do rock. Listen to their lyrics. Their heart is for God."

One.... I did not say that there can be no Godly Truth in it because of rock music. I said we are suppose to

- avoid the appearance of evil

- be separate from the world

both statements from Scripture..not my opinion, Gods Word.

Two..... I could not tell by their appearance they were a Christian band...hence the avoidance of the appearance of evil.

and to be separate from the world includes being separate from the genre of music that is worldly.....rock music speaks to the flesh .

I showed my 12 yr old son the picture of the band and asked him if he would want to go to the concert...he said "That is just wrong" ...........appearance of evil. So maybe he will miss some good lyrics, but he will also not walk into a rock band someday that someone tells him is Christian, because he has his standards set high...never too high in this day and age...we are losing our kids to the world far too fast.

Why, in a world that is being overrun with things that appeal to the flesh would I want my spirit to be over run with it as well. We do not have to use the world's music to reach teens for Christ. We have to use the Truth of God's Word.

We do not drink the glass of water that has the drop of arsenic in it...we want the pure Water.

"Sorry, but are you suggesting that this movie is corrupted by Satan because it has "that kind" of music in it? That there can be no Godly truth in it because of rock music? Have you seen the movie?"[/size]

"The Newsboys IS a Christian band and yes they do rock. Listen to their lyrics. Their heart is for God." [/size]

One.... I did not say that there can be no Godly Truth in it because of rock music. I said we are suppose to [/size]

- avoid the appearance of evil[/size]

- be separate from the world[/size]

both statements from Scripture..not my opinion, Gods Word.[/size]

Two..... I could not tell by their appearance they were a Christian band...hence the avoidance of the appearance of evil.[/size]

and to be separate from the world includes being separate from the genre of music that is worldly.....rock music speaks to the flesh .[/size]

I showed my 12 yr old son the picture of the band and asked him if he would want to go to the concert...he said "That is just wrong" ...........appearance of evil. So maybe he will miss some good lyrics, but he will also not walk into a rock band someday that someone tells him is Christian, because he has his standards set high...never too high in this day and age...we are losing our kids to the world far too fast.[/size]

Why, in a world that is being overrun with things that appeal to the flesh would I want my spirit to be over run with it as well. We do not have to use the world's music to reach teens for Christ. We have to use the Truth of God's Word.[/size]

We do not drink the glass of water that has the drop of arsenic in it...we want the pure Water.[/size]

Just to be sure, we are talking about the band the Newsboys here, right?

I'm very familiar with them and their history. I did a google image search on them and noted how casual they dress, so I'm not understanding this worldly appearance they seem to be resembling, nor can I see that with other Christian rock bands such as Switchfoot or Jars of Clay.

Just like any other genre (jazz, pop, reggae) God can use anything and anyone to bring people closer to the Truth. As the Bible says it is wise for us to not judge people based on appearances. Remember Timothy and how young he was when he preached. Based on his youthful appearance anyone could have judged him and said he had no business preaching, he was not old or wise enough. But he had a calling.

I agree we are losing some young souls but not because of rock specifically. In fact there are powerful Christian rock bands such as Skillet who have shown and preached to the youth the way to the Word. I know because I was one of them long ago, therefore I'm very passionate about this music and how it reaches this generation and future generations. They are indeed reaching the youth (it's their calling) and they are making a strong impact in this world, whether it be with rock, or jazz, they are making a difference. Praise God! My prayer is that more will rise in the music industry and continue to reach more lives.

One.... I did not say that there can be no Godly Truth in it because of rock music. I said we are suppose to

- avoid the appearance of evil

- be separate from the world

both statements from Scripture..not my opinion, Gods Word.

Two..... I could not tell by their appearance they were a Christian band...hence the avoidance of the appearance of evil.

and to be separate from the world includes being separate from the genre of music that is worldly.....rock music speaks to the flesh .

My only response to statements such as these can be found in the article I wrote on this site. I encourage anyone interested to read it, as it will serve as my commentary to this and all such posts.

http://christianwriters.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/nonfiction/music-musicians-and-the-appearance-of-evil-r976

As I stated, I was not questioning their heart, as I do not know their heart. They very well may be, and likely are, better Christians than I. My point is why confuse the righteous with the unrighteous by choosing to conform our self to the unrighteous?

If we have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, why should we not follow through, and come out from among them and be separate. Why follow the path of the ungodly, when the heart has been made pure by the blood of Christ.

I am glad that these young men are born again.....why are they not willing to be visually identified as different from the world?

Why would they choose to have the rock genre, when the associations to rock music point to the drug culture of the world, and not to Jesus Christ.

When Moses came down from the mount, after receiving the law, he heard, as he described it. "The sound of war" The people had turned to idolatry, and were celebrating with all kinds of music. Biblical music has the lyrics as prominent, not the melody or the beat. It is the words that reach the soul and convict man of their sin and turn them to Christ. Beat speaks to the flesh.

I was not raised Christian, I came out from that lifestyle. Just the thought of mixing the rock music that I was a slave to, with the Holiness of my Lord Jesus Christ, is distasteful. You can not mix light and dark, God stops at the edge of the Light...God is Light, and in Him is NO Darkness at all.

You chose what you will. You may change your tune when you have teenagers in your home, and they are confused by the mixed signals. I chose to do my best to keep the holy and the profane separate in my children's lives.

I respect your input, and as my sister in Christ, I am only trying to understand from a fellow Christian.

What I don’t comprehend is why there is a type of unrighteous view. What does it mean to have the “appearance of evil” exactly—the definition of evil?

I understand that Satan was in charge of music and definitely uses this skill to reach the youth today, but ultimately wasn’t it God who gave us music? Ultimately, isn’t He the one who is the master of music? For us to enjoy and celebrate Him with. Man (with help from their sinful nature) is the one who can make things evil. And they can also create good under the guidance of God.

If the beat speaks to the flesh then what is the difference between a fast tempo and a slow one that we sing along to in most churches today? Does this give the praise and worship team the view of not being separate from the world? I am confused.

It seems like there cannot be, nor can there ever be pure music for our glorious God, because man creates music and man is not perfect. But doesn’t God direct man and give them the talent to create these harmonies of celebration for Him?

Tempo is not beat. Most rock music is on an off beat. The emphasis is 1..2...3...4.. or a variation instead of 1..2..3..4..(using the ..s to measure time and intensity

Tempo is the Time signature. An off beat is another thing entirely.

My husband and I saw the movie yesterday. We laughed, we cried, and at a couple of points, we wanted to stand up and raise our hands! We had no problem with the music or the Newsboys.

We both have come from a traditional, denominational background. In 2011, we were hungry for more of God and we have found that deeper relationship with Him in a non-denominational church. We have all races, ages, occupations, appearances, etc. at our current church and with that, we have found a new awareness of how God uses all types of music to reach all types of people. It has enriched our lives and we thank our heavenly Father for such diversity and blessings.

Does God grant discernment to His children? Yes, He does. He gives discernment of the negatives/dangers in our lives but He also blesses us with discernment of the good. My husband and I have learned to be blessed by rock music, just as we have been blessed by other types of music, as well.

"God's not dead - He's surely alive!

He's livin' on the inside, roaring like a lion!" :)

Quote. mbeachbum.- Does God grant discernment to His children? Yes, He does. He gives discernment of the negatives/dangers in our lives but He also blesses us with discernment of the good. My husband and I have learned to be blessed by rock music, just as we have been blessed by other types of music, as well.

Amen! I listen to WGRC. A local Christian radio station, and I am blessed everyday by its music. I personally am not fond of the Newsboys, but I love this song and its message. I can't wait to see the movie.

I just saw this movie, and I would highly recommend it! I was disappointed that they had some theistic evolution in it, but overall it was a winner!

Yep, my wife and I went to see it the minute it came out...a lot of meat (God's Word) in it. Your spirit connects to the truth and dances with joy :)

I watched the movie and really liked it. It was very true to life, well written, and performed. Definitely gives viewers something to think about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.