Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BLichtenwalner

Ben From Modern Servant Leader.com

Welcome, Ben! It is not uncommon for non-fiction books to be queried to agents and editors before they are completed. Fiction is another critter entirely. Not a bad idea to pitch it to an agent. That's probably what I would do. For one thing... they have a good idea of what publishers are legit and who to avoid at all costs - costs being the operative word here! You have a blog with the same theme, an established platform, so you have a shot. Take it!

Thanks Pegg - that makes a lot of sense. I see how fiction would typically be even more difficult. I'm leaning toward pitching agents - just don't want to damage my relationship with the interested publisher in the process... I hope they'll understand. Great to have insights from a fellow Michigander.

Thanks Jon - I appreciate the welcome and look forward to engaging here.

Welcome to our writing family. Glad you joined us. Be sure you check out any publisher with Writer Beware (even though it's a Sci-Fi site, look in the Writer Beware column) and Preditors and Editors (click on book publishers). Be sure to check out the FAQ at the top to see how things run around here. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing!

Welcome, Ben! I've heard before of your type of situation--a publisher expresses interest in a book, and the writer then seeks an agent, kinda working backward from the way we typically hear about. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I think I remember reading an article or column where an agent was asked about this type of situation, and responded that the writer should query prospective agents and let them know that an agent has expressed interest. Guess that's a good way to grab an agent's attention. :) I'd want an agent who is very knowledgeable about contracts, etc. to represent me when dealing with the publisher/wouldn't want to go it without one. Hope all goes well with your book.

More great feedback - thank you all, specifically:

Lynn

: Wow, what awesome resources at SFWA. I will definitely refer to those lists again.

Keith

: Great suggestion. In this case, I've known the people there a while, as well as some of their authors. So I'm faily confident in them - still, I'll be double-checking before signing any dotted lines. Great advice.

Amy

: You've summed up well exactly my concern - thank you. I suspect I'll seek an agent for these reasons and more.

Again, thank you all for the great insights.

Keep serving,

- Ben

Welcome aboard Ben! Looks like you're already finding your way around here and getting the helpful info you need. Congrats!

Just a brief update - it's been many months and I've decided to go the self-publishing route. Likely CreateSpace. Got a an amazing best-selling author to do the foreword, a great team of editors and someone to do the page design and layout. Now I just need the cover design... I will, of course, share when it's available. In the meantime, if you have a cover designer you recommend, please do let me know! I'm just about to go the 99Designs or ELance route, but prefer a referral if you have one.