Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebecca

If You Could Travel Into The Past...

If I could travel into the past, I would inquire from the wise men, get wisdom from them, learn from their experiences and apply them in my own life today.

I'd go back to the day in mid-1820s Virginia when my 3x great-grandfather Absalom was a teenager and came upon the white overseer of his father's plantation mercilessly whipping his (Absalom's) black mammy. But I'd have to be a bird in the tree, for young Absalom knocked the overseer out, freed the old woman, and fled the state, thinking he had killed the man. He was wrong, thank heaven. He returned to Virginia long enough to get married and the couple left for the North soon thereafter. This was the beginning of his lifelong commitment to Abolitionism, and it'd be enlightening to see how it all happened.

Wow Catrin, Your family history of that time would make an awesome novel!

Question: if I died in the past, would I die in the present? Or would I simply be dead? Or would I simply wake up?

My first thought would be to travel to Northern Ireland, late 6th century to meet St. Patrick. I've always admired him and his work in Ireland. But I think I would be too afraid of being killed because I would stand out and be so socially awkward.

I think I would choose to visit Jesus family during His childhood. I've always wondered what a sinless child looks like.

I'm torn between that and that day and the day Jesus let Mary sit with the men, listening to him teach. I would want to know what Jesus would have done if Martha had also come and sat down with the men, leaving nobody preparing lunch.

I love reading all these articles . For once they are from a group of people who have not allowed any type of religious " filter " to block or edit their real wishes . Honesty .. a great thing .

As for me I would like to go back in time and see the first pioneers arriving in the USA and braving everything in a new world . Fighting with that spirit of tenacity needed to conquer a new land , farm the land as believers . Sitting down for the first ever " Thanksgiving " dinner . Giving thanks to God for bringing them so far ..... but daring to go further . WOW .

I think i would go back in time to the ministry of John G.Lake , even if just to carry his suitcase . I would have the chance to see , first hand , this known pentecostal father , really another pioneer in action and service .

What about going back in time to experience the " moment before time began " and hear the Heavenly Father simply say " Let there be light " and rays of first physical light breaking out at the very beginning of the universe .

A friend said something curious to me , " How is it that most of our memories of good experiences are connected to food ? " I can remember the time , the restaurant .. and the delicious meal .. even now ... mmm . :-)

Being flight crew on 049, 749 Connie or Stratocruiser circa 1947-1953 would be interesting and fun. As a historian I realize how much work would be involved. Twice the crew size and the recip engines needed attention near constant attention and navigation was difficult. The rate of climb would be anemic and the flight time would be long with the vibration. By the same token it would be nice to have had the glam of era and real challenge of being a part of a 4 man team operating a complicated piece of mechanical equipment.

I also know that if given the choice a co-pilot on one of those flights in late 40s early fifties would have jumped at the chance for a right seat on either 737NG, 757, or 777. The 737NG as almost a minor flight from the mainland to Hawaii would have caused a degree of awe. The simple non stop capabily with 100,000lbs of thrust LAX to Sydney would have been mind blowing coupled with the reliability of the engines.

I transition from the Army to Navy in sixties. First aircraft was a P2V Neptune sub chaser, I hated that airplane, finally got into an P3 Orion.

Ok, now I know where I would go. I would go and visit Solomon's temple/palace. It sounds so beautiful! So much gold.... I would see the stables and his peacocks...

If I could only travel into the past, I would like to be in that time when Jesus was sleeping in the boat while His disciples were scared. Then I would ask Jesus why He was just sleeping there, or maybe I would like to ask this, "Jesus, were you really asleep at that time or you were just pretending to sleep?"

I know this is suppose to be just imagining time travel.However Philip the evangelist from scripture did it for real. I am very surprised that only three people chose to go back to see JESUS. Personally would have liked to have been with HIM from the very start of HIS ministry. Sticking to HIM like I was an attached appendage if He would allow it. I would probably drive HIM crazy with all my questions and trying so hard to understand all of the things HE taught. When JESUS said to Pete he could come to HIM on the water I'd be saying can I come too. I probably would be saying that so much they would nick me the "Can I come too kid." That would be my 1st choice. 2nd I would like to also walk in the garden before the fall and be able to talk to GOD face to face. I would love to interact with all the animals too. 3rd I would like to spend time with each one of the prophets and learn from them. 4th I would like to talk to various US Presidents. 5th I would go back to May 2013 I would have my dog operated on and I wouldn't give him the raisins that I inadvertently poisoned him with July 10,2015.

Now if I could go forward in time that is another whole ball game.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the review and your comments I appreciate them very much.

I am glad you enjoyed my response to the writing challenge. I am very new to this site.

Best regards,

K River

Do think I would love early America, though, I grew up on "Little House on the Prairie," both the books and the television series. Seems like such a simpler time and place and I'm much intrigued by horse-drawn wagons and one-room school houses.

Still cannot be unappreciative of the time we are living, however. And, we should be more thankful for some of the modern conveniences we have. We should have a lot more time in our day to do more things, even, and somehow that's not seeming so.

Blessings,

Christine

If you could travel to any point in the past and spend one day there, what time would you visit?

Why would you choose that time?

What would you do during your visit there?

This thread is an oldie. xD

I'd travel back to April 19, 1775, Lexington, Massachusetts, to see the skirmish on the battle green.

Why? I used to live in Lexington and would be fascinated to see what gets reenacted on every Patriots Day. Besides witnessing the start of the American revolution, I could maybe figure out who exactly fired the "shot heard around the world."

I think I'd also enjoy just walking around to see how different the town was back then. 

If I could travel into my past, I will not like to erase anything as every hour, every min, every second of my life has taught me a great deal and I would cherish it throughout my life.

As much as God has taught me in the past 30 years, I would go back to 1987 to the day before I made a decision that changed the course of my life. I'd like to see how the LORD would have led me if I hadn't made that particular choice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.