Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebecca

If You Could Travel Into The Past...

If you could travel to any point in the past and spend one day there, what time would you visit?

Why would you choose that time?

What would you do during your visit there?

The period am one fasting.

How the Lord answer me would be another good flashback!

Sure i will give thanks!

If time travel was a real option, I could probably come up with a list of times, places or people to visit. I mean, what an adventure! But to be the practical person that I am, I'm thinking of a more productive plan. Being able to go back in time to see my parent's respective childhoods would explain an awful lot of the disfunction that somehow trickled down our family line. It would also be great to see my dad as a carefree kid (assuming he was) and my mom unfettered by life's drama (not sure if I'd recognize that trait in her).

Once when I was in my 20's, I had a dream where I was about 12 yrs old. I spent the day playing with my cousins in the yard, riding bikes, and all the other goofy things we did. It wasnt fuzzy or muted, but felt like it happened in real time. I've always felt like that dream was just a nice gift from God. Like a breath of fresh air or a reprieve from life's daily demands. That sweet dream is about as close as I've gotten to time traveling.

Being flight crew on 049, 749 Connie or Stratocruiser circa 1947-1953 would be interesting and fun. As a historian I realize how much work would be involved. Twice the crew size and the recip engines needed attention near constant attention and navigation was difficult. The rate of climb would be anemic and the flight time would be long with the vibration. By the same token it would be nice to have had the glam of era and real challenge of being a part of a 4 man team operating a complicated piece of mechanical equipment.

I also know that if given the choice a co-pilot on one of those flights in late 40s early fifties would have jumped at the chance for a right seat on either 737NG, 757, or 777. The 737NG as almost a minor flight from the mainland to Hawaii would have caused a degree of awe. The simple non stop capabily with 100,000lbs of thrust LAX to Sydney would have been mind blowing coupled with the reliability of the engines.

I am not sure of the exact time, but I think ancient Egypt would be interesting. To see how they built the Great Sphinx and the pyramids of Giza. Also, what did they do in the temples. Why they did what they did. See the things they saw. Some people think aliens built a lot of ancient Egypt. If so, guess I would see them to!

Being on FDRs staff to the Tehran conference would have been cool but I no doubt would have attempted to Kill Joseph Stalin which I suspect would have been bad form.....

I would not mind going to Mrs Balmanno's room August 21st 1991 after cross-country workout I would stop myself from pitching an oratory in the trash can! Shame on me for exuberence in throwing a remnant away an artificact.

If I could go back in time I would like to go back to the 1800's and go west on a wagon train.

I would go back to several months before the fall of Rome and see what factors were involved during that process. I have chosen that time because so much was going on then--developments and creations of products, buildings, theologies--just so much. I would like to talk with some of the residents and just get a feel of what was going on. I realize that would be a dangerous thing to do but so interesting!

Interesting topic!

Toni

I would love to be at Jesus feet as He gave the passages in Matthew....refered to as The Beatitudes. Actually to be there anytime He was teaching would be spectaular. My daughters are going to Israel in Feb. I am thrilled for them and a bit envious....to be where Jesus walked and see the places He was will bring The Word to life so much more for them.

If I could go back in time I would go back to before I got MS and change whatever has left me with this miserable illness. I would not get around with a cane or spend most of my time in a wheelchair. I want my life back where the biggest thing I had to worry about was finishing the article on time.

I would love to be in the Garden of Eden, before the fall.

Imagine the smells, the brilliance of color, the sweet, pure atmosphere and life interactions. Imagine walking in the garden with the Creator of it all.

We really don't know how much time spanned between the beginning of Creation and the Fall of Man. I think it would be fascinating to explore during that era.

I would time travel to visit Job. I would love to see the leviathon and the behemoth, to see the world he lived in, to ask why his theology was so different from his companions, why he could be so certain, before Abraham was in the picture, that he had a redeemer, how did he even know about the redeemer back then, had God spoken to him before or was it passed down to him from his forefathers. So many questions I would ask. Then I would come back and write a novel about it:)

I would want to go back to the day President Abraham Lincoln gave his Gettysburg address, I would like to be in the front of the crowd so I could see his facial expressions. he is my favorite American historical figure. this was a very dark time for America and he was the chosen godly leader for it. He has been my inspiration since I was a child.

Guest dziakj1

I'd be awfully scared of causing a time paradox. So to play it safe I might like to go back to before the beginning of life on land, to see what the world looked like without greenery or animals. It would be really strange but maybe beautiful like the Sahara desert. Then I wouldn't be able to accidentally do anything obnoxious to my grandfather or anyone else. One downside is that there might not be a lot of oxygen, and that would really ruin my vacation.

Plan A: live among the followers of the "Way" at the Antioch church described in Acts. I'm very curious about the interaction of Hebrew and Gentile believers in the early church.

Plan B: be with David as he played his lyre so I could watch how the music soothed Saul.

I'm immediately overwhelmed with a large list of times and places. But if I had to choose, I think I'd like to travel back to London around 1830 or thereafter. Not only are some of my stories written near this time period (it would be the best research in the world) but also because Charles Dickens is one of my favorite authors. I think I'd like to sit down with a cup of tea and Mr. Dickens and listen to him talk about his story idea about a boy named Oliver Twist. :)

Regards to Tiny Tim, lizzie. The manufacture and use of time machines must be apolitical. Otherwise, there's plenty going on now that would make a future time traveller back to our era stagger backward. :huh:

And if that meant no more travelling back, would that qualify for time standing still? :rolleyes:

If I could travel into the past even for just an hour? I would like to choose that special time when I just came out from my mom's womb. I would shout to God and say "Thank you Lord for making me a winner over millions of cells who fought with me inside mom's tummy." Then I would stay on my mom's side forever so I won't have to experience today's cares, pains, and suffering.

I'm right there with Karen2. (funny thing is, I'm also a Karen) I have always been fascinated with the 1800s. The history, the hardships, the determination of a people who hoped for a new life in a land they had only dreamed about.

At the game where Babe Ruth purportedly pointed to a section of the baseball outfield stands--then poked the ball to that same location on the next pitch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.