Welcome to Christian Writers!

We are a friendly community built around Christian writing, publishing, reading and fellowship. Register or sign in today to join in the fun!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebecca

Do You Write Better With Background Noise?

Does background noise help boost your creativity?  

1. 1. Does background noise help boost your creativity?

• Yes, definitely
    • Yes, slightly
    • Maybe a little
    • Usually too distracting
    • Always too distracting
    • Other

It depends on the noise. If I have soundtrack music that goes with the scene I'm writing about and I block out other noise by using my earplugs, it really puts me in the middle of the scene. Otherwise noise is distracting. My favorite music is classical and movie soundtracks.

Listening to music really sets the mood for me to write. I listen to mostly Christian rock, and some country.

Soft music, classical, hymns, anything with a gentle flow to it works for me. Kind of the same effect of water when you're relaxing on the beach. But anything requiring a boom box, forget it! I'll find somewhere else to write. And if it tries to use both styles, ugh! You can't invoke two opposite emotions at the same time!

Soft instrumentals are fine but I don't think they boost my creativity. When I really need to concentrate, I have to turn it off.

When I say background noise I mean, fish tanks, a fan, when you have Tinnitus you have things going all the time. Though the good Lord has healed me of living with this issue, it helps to have things going.

As far as radio or TV NO. lol I don't want that going at all.

Samantha Fury

It's rather strange, but even though I always operate better with music playing (always over headphones, and as long as I like it and it's not too attention-pulling, it's okay), it drives me absolutely nuts when other people do things nearby. Any noise whatsoever frustrates me and leaves me unable to concentrate. This can usually be combated by turning up the music on my headphones, but if that doesn't work, I have to relocate or risk losing my mind.

And really, if a song or album works for me, I really don't care how many times I've heard it -- it's white noise, and I might play it on a loop for hours. Once I wrote through the night listening to one Celtic Woman song. Nothing else -- just that song. I still can't believe it disn't bother me.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometimes your the windshield........

Well, it also depends on what kind of noise it is. I can block out a lot....husband watching sports....etc.

I can usually listen to music while I write, if it works with the mood I am trying to write (no light happy music when somthing bad is happening).

However if anyone is even fidgeting slightly in the room I am in I find it quite maddening.

I pictured all writers except me in lonely, quiet rooms with only their thoughts of wisdom making sound!

I wrote our chruch Christmas play listening to Fox News and talk radio.---It simulates my mind!

But, then again I've been known to watch 2 movies at once, flipping back and forth. My husband thinks I

have something loose in my head!

Personally, music works for me. However, as much as I love Christian rock I can’t listen to it while I write because I can’t concentrate. I need to be able to hear soft, relaxing music that doesn’t have words, so I’ll listen to a lot of New Age music or epic music, but mostly New Age. There are days when I don’t want to listen to anything and sometimes the sound of a silent room is enough for me.

Anybody ever heard of Solar Fields? They are a must on my writing playlist. :)

I find it difficult to write with noise. The most distracting noises are little voices whining "Daddy, I want a biscuit!"

I also find it pretty much impossible to write if the TV is on.

What?! I can't hear you! Turn down the...

Seriously, I love the sounds of nature when I write. Sheep baaing in pasture. The snort of a horse. Wind rustling through the willows. The rooster announcing he's the boss. The cat hacking up a hairball on the couch. Okay... not that one so much as the others.

Background noise was always present when I wrote with children at home, but now the quiet is more distracting. I like to have classical music on while I write if it's soothing music, nothing like the 1812 Overture. Anything with words I find distracting too, because then I listen to the words and don't write.

Yes, the sounds of nature are good for writing also, like wind in the trees or rain falling outside. I have several CDs with nature sounds on them such as surf washing gently on the shore or a brook bubbling over stones. These sounds are soothing and help me relax so I can concentrate.

The thing that is worst is when it's a conversation, whether actual or recorded, and I start paying attention to that rather than what I'm writing.

I like quiet when writing. And if there must be any background noise, for me it would be soft jazz.

Blessings ~

René Allen

I have a playlist that specifically has music with no lyrics in it. If the music has lyrics, it distracts me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.