New, Free Blue Golem story!

Johne

I am a charter member of the Story Grid Guild, a group of writers learning how to level up our craft. This year is the Year of the Beat, and we're learning about these foundational components of story. Last week we started studying THE NAME OF THE ROSE by Umberto Eco, and we had an exercise where we were to write a Role Negotiation scene. I decided to write my scene from the Blue Golem universe and had such a good time that I took a few minutes to map out an outline of what a short story might look like which satisfied that assignment.

I had such a good time with this exercise that I wrote out the story on Monday and edited it yesterday. It's called The Bent Constable and tells a one-off story of Clay Golem's first investigation. It's an intricate, tricksy story and the deeper I dug, the more twists and turns there were.

Wen Saracel is a dirty constable who walked into a mob restaurant and killed a patron for no apparent reason, kicking off a series of events which drags Clay Golem into a thorny situation. As the city's only golem rickshaw driver, he's an object of constant prejudice, but Clay can do things and go places others can't. The good constable Saez wants Clay to find and arrest the murderer (who just happens to be his boss), and the gangster Dendry wants Clay to kill him, and both threaten Clay to force him to comply with their wishes. All Clay wants is his freedom, and the clock is ticking.

Kate Wilhelm once wrote that she never knew how long a story would be until she wrote it out. This story ended up being a novelette of just over 10k words. I could expand it out to a 60k word novel, but I've got more novel ideas than I have time for, and I like how self-contained this story is at this length. Therefore, I'm going to send it out on Friday morning as a lead magnet for people on my mailing list at 
https://silentvanitye.com/

image.thumb.png.14d4f076f808dc0b26caaa658b8742ff.png

Here's a snippet:

image.png.ba04d4bb8f9e1615f4251810d10ab5e8.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Looks cool. I tried visiting your site just now (silentvanitye.com) but it was not launching reading "Site cannot be reached." I was using Google Chrome.

Thanks for the heads-up, J.P. (It's not you–it's like that for me this morning, too. I'm looking into it.)

19 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Glad it was not just me. I'd check with your website service provider.

I worked with Google Domains and they were able to instruct me in creating a Custom Record that I'd inadvertently deleted last night. 
If you can, try hitting this again:
https://silentvanitye.com/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.