What's your "thing"?

Because most of us have one.  You know, that funny little habit we have of collecting some special little thing. 

A lady at my church collects snowmen.  During the winter months she has them up all over her house.  I believe she said she has over 400.  Another lady I knew collected elephants.  There was a man from a church I used to go to who collected Hot Wheels like crazy.  Yet another lady collects ceramic lighthouses.  My thing is, you guessed it, movies!  About 95% classic, I'd say.  I keep a running database just for fun, and currently the count is approximately 450.

Soooo . . . what's your "thing"?  Just curious!

Edited by Grey_Skies
  • Like 3

LOL When I'm searching for a 1940s murder mystery, I'll call on you! 🤣

I can't think of anything I collect. I've always wanted to have some sort of collection. Although I do have several blue and white pottery pieces and dishes (many antique), I haven't really added much to them. Most of the pieces belonged to my mother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

When I'm searching for a 1940s murder mystery, I'll call on you! 

Please do! 😃

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

I do have several blue and white pottery pieces and dishes (many antique), I haven't really added much to them. Most of the pieces belonged to my mother.

Nice!  They sound very pretty.  Antique pottery/dishware is super cool.

Just now, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Stamps, money from other countries (mostly coins), my childhood story notebooks and other notebooks, letters and cards, books that I don't have time to read, anddddddddddddddd...

I think that's all...LOL!

Haha, I feel that!  Especially books you don't have time to read.  Great answers!  Stamp-collecting is super interesting!  Do you know a lot about different stamps and what they're worth and all that?

• Like 1

I don’t really love accumulating “stuff,” even cool or fun stuff. I generally prefer to just keep the memories.

HOWEVER... I do have a thing for indoor plants. At the moment I have 17. So that’s my collection.

• Like 1

Art works. Not the expensive stuff, but quirky  - I always bought something when on holiday a broad - it became a family ritual - 'What rubbish is mum going to get this time?'

I am also a collector of quilt books and designs.  I have made quilts for my children and extended family. Finally I am quilting one for myself.  

• Like 1

When we were able to travel, I got the idea that it would be cool to get a china mug (coffee cup style) from each place we have visited. That collection grew to the place I had to thin some of them out. When our son started traveling, he remembered his old mother by adding to her collection. A neighbor and her husband added one for each of us (three total) when they went out west. 

I also have a small collection of teddy bears. Some from a coin dealer, each one with a state quarter honoring that state. 

Then there is my book collection. My husband told me one time that I could start a library.

• Like 1

I suppose that I collect skills, or at least the experience of the skills, 'cuz I may not learn how to do all things equally well. But if I find something remotely useful, I'm often interested in learning to build it, craft it, fix it, design it, cook it, or whatever else. Whenever at a place where historical recreations are done, I'll often severely try my wife's patience, as I'll spend way too long asking questions to understand how a fletcher makes an arrow straight enough, or a cooper fits the staves for a barrel. While I haven't taken up either of these skills (yet...) I have accumulated quite the collection of unusual tools, and have one of the "more interesting" basements...

• Like 2

There are two things I love to collect and they are various types of watches and clocks. My father loved and enjoyed buying different kinds of clocks and he passed that on to me. I often look for different types of watches. For sure, I have a "thing" about time!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Toni Star said:

There are two things I love to collect and they are various types of watches and clocks. My father loved and enjoyed buying different kinds of clocks and he passed that on to me. I often look for different types of watches. For sure, I have a "thing" about time!

My brother is a clock fanatic. He has a roomful of antique mechanical clocks, which he keeps all slightly at different times, so that the ones that chime don't all "go off" at once! He regularly buys broken items for a pittance, repairs them as a hobby, and now as a "side hustle." He lives on the other side of the country from me, but whenever I speak to him on the phone, he'll tell me about some of the wild machines he's been hired to fix (as I listen to an intermittent-but-regular stream of clock chimes, in the background...)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

Haha, I feel that!  Especially books you don't have time to read.  Great answers!  Stamp-collecting is super interesting!  Do you know a lot about different stamps and what they're worth and all that?

Eeeeeee...nope. LOL!! I should though, should I not? 😉 

I also forgot to add this, but I collect Shopkins, too! (Toys of childhood...LOL!)

• Like 1

I think the Lord has given me an appreciation for languages and cultures as a help in combating a spirit of complacent religiosity.    I alternate my Bible reading between the 1984 (or earlier) NIV, the Spanish "Reina Valera" (1909 and 1960 editions--just about like reading the King James when it comes to mentally translating), and the English-language "Complete Jewish Bible" (with a superb word rendering, and notes, that present things from a Messianic Jewish perspective).   I find God revealing himself the same across these versions.    My "worldview" is being molded by God's revelation to this world, all of it.    I relax when deep down I see that "it isn't all about me" is more than a mantra.   It is simply so because God, and my life within his will, is all about His love for humanity and the free offer of the gift of salvation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

My "worldview" is being molded by God's revelation to this world, all of it.    I relax when deep down I see that "it isn't all about me" is more than a mantra.   It is simply so because God, and my life within his will, is all about His love for humanity and the free offer of the gift of salvation. 

That's a beautiful place to be. In Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis lays out one chapter that totally floors me, every time I go thru it (not that many of the other chapters in that book don't also do the same thing...) He says that a test for really being in the presence of God is to either forget about oneself altogether, or to see oneself as a small, dirty thing, but that it's better to forget about oneself, altogether.

My recollection here can't capture the depth of what he actually says there, but I'm amazed by how brilliantly the man could think, and encourage others to start thinking, too.

Anyway... sounds like you're on the right path. Keep on goin'...

• Like 1

Wow.  I just started reading Mere Christianity, so thanks for sharing that.  I’ll be looking for that gem.   

God’s gifting so that we look to Him through the Face of Jesus is what makes Christianity ride above the waves of nihilism and abide in belief and dedication.   Without that, it would just be an exercise of denying the value of self before God.

13 minutes ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

Wow.  I just started reading Mere Christianity, so thanks for sharing that.  I’ll be looking for that gem.   

Really glad to hear that!!!  I mean, it's great that he's remembered for Narnia and the like; it's an accomplishment to be remembered past one's time. But he's produced such a vast body of really top-notch work that makes one really think, and it's great to see it appreciated.

You probably know that the book is largely a transcription of radio programs he did, introducing the basics of Christianity to those who didn't really understand it. The earlier portions reflect this, a lot, but the later stuff... wow. The stuff I referred to is in Book 3, Chapter 8. In fact... there's this aMAZing YouTube channel that does a lot of C. S. Lewis' stuff in whiteboard animation (I guess for their style, it's a blackboard animation, though not sure that's A Thing...) Here's that chapter... it won't hurt to see it out of order, and once you see it, you'll probably want to read it again, anyway. I find myself pausing regularly, just to take in the enormity of what I've already read...

If I could write half as well as this, I'd be a very happy man...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

People collect things other than books??

Yes, some do. When I was a child, my parents and I visited a  couple who lived in Southwest Indiana. The wife collected salt and pepper shakers. When ever we traveled, my mother would try to purchase a set for this lady. She had a china closet filled with them. She also had a coffee table that you could not see the top of. 

When my dad remarried, my stepmother called all the knick-knacks people collected--dustcatchers.

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2022 at 8:31 PM, Grey_Skies said:

My thing is, you guessed it, movies!  About 95% classic, I'd say.  I keep a running database just for fun, and currently the count is approximately 450.

You wouldn't happen to have Fools for Scandal, would you? 1938 I think. Stars Carol Lombard.

I saw it one time on AMC and found it absolutely hilarious. Can't find it anywhere else. Not streaming, not amazon, ebay, etc. A net search just returns with posters or trailers.

If you do have it, then you need to tell me who your dealer is 😆🙃.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RockyMtn Gal said:

Fools for Scandal, would you? 1938 I think. Stars Carol Lombard.

The title wasn't familiar to me, so I looked into it.  Unfortunately, I don't have it, nor was I able to find it anywhere.  In my experience, YouTube often has complete films uploaded that tend to be obscure elsewhere, though the print is of low quality most of the time.  However, my YouTube search only turned up a trailer and the likes, except for one thing: if you put the title in the search bar, along with 1938, the results turn up a playlist that includes a link to the whole film (the whole film is not included directly in the playlist).  I didn't click on the link myself, because I'm just wary about clicking any unfamiliar links, but that might be a starting point for you to check out.  Hope this helps!