"I have never had..."

Guest Spaulding

21 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Hubby's been fingerprinted twice. Once for the Navy and the other time for working in a nuclear power plant. I also think teachers are fingerprinted, and parents sometimes fingerprint their kids just-in-case. Have I guessed yet? 

I was fingerprinted so many times by the government, I should get tested for blood type I (“ink”)

On 1/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, Spaulding said:

About half a year into being disabled, (and two months short of figuring out it was permanent), a friend online sent me a C.A.R.E. package full of her favorite things. Many things, but two were a stuffed dog, (now Lady), and a teddy bear, now Spaulding. First time I laughed in months.

It literally was a godsend. Spaulding has such a serious face, and the first thing I ever had him do was dance to a song on the radio -- King Tut by Steve Martin. That cracked me up too, so I kept getting him to do silly things. And that's where my stuffed animal craziness started.

Some police and firefighters keep stuffed animals in their trunk, in case they meet someone who just went through something horrible. They ask people to help, so I've given them some (store-boughts) over the years too.

When I quit smoking, I also no longer needed to roll my own, giving me time for a new hobby. I figured our pastors run into people who have gone through horrors too. One pastor had his 2-year-old son in ICU for the second time in the boy's life, and I saw the strain on his and his wife's face. (The first one I made was the dog in the picture below, and I named him Homer, figuring the one word parents and son would think often is "home." It's two years later, and the boy hasn't been in the hospital since.) I started crocheting stuffies a few months before Covid hit. That gave me 18 months to make a few. And when the time came, I packed them into a backpack, and took them to meet the pastors. (Had to tell that pastor that he could not give them to babies for fear of choking hazards. Whew. Because this church has never had a day without one or more women expecting. lol)

So the only picture I ever took of them was in the backpack before I left. The two at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock are giraffes. Monkey at 2 o'clock, followed by Homer, and then a cat. The hippo is the pink girl at 8 o'clock, and an elephant between her and the giraffe up top. There's at least two teddies below.

And, I'm making more, but this time, I'll be sending batches to counselors or the transition home for women just coming out of prison. (I really am a teddy bear nut, but have found ways to make it work. 😆)

AWWWWWW, THAT IS ADORABLE!!!!!! I'M GOING TO CRY!!! XD 

No, seriously, that is one of the sweetest ideas I've ever heard anyone do!!! I admire you for it!

I can relate to having women expecting constantly...we had four babies born that I know of last year (one's the daughter of a pastor who used to be a young preacher in our church, and the other is the daughter of a wife and husband who went to my church and was my childhood favorite) and one yesterday! 😄 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, Zee said:

Truly impressive list of “never-hads!” Unfortunately, you are almost guaranteed to have to start removing items from it as you grow older...

I'd hope not! 

On 1/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, Grey_Skies said:

Wow, that IS quite a list, @Ky_GirlatHeart!  I'm much the same as you, except for a pet (I have two beloved cats and a sweet old dog), a bee/wasp sting, and an ant bite (trust me, AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!) Also, the concussion.  I might have.  Not really sure, but probably not.

Now, how would a girl like you who stays out of trouble get herself into a concussion?? LOL!

I'll avoid the ant bite at all costs...LOL!

On 1/4/2022 at 2:10 PM, Grey_Skies said:

Still . . . you've never had a pet? 

Nah. Unless you count my honorary siblings' pets. In that case, I'd have...let's see...two cats from one sister, three/two cats and three dogs from another sister, a cat or two and soon a dog from the other two sisters, anddddd....Yes. XD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Now, how would a girl like you who stays out of trouble get herself into a concussion?? LOL!

Me?  Stays out of trouble??  😯 Now how would I get a concussion?  Hmm, there was that one time I jumped from a moving car on the highway in order to catch the villain . . . 😂😂

Edited by Grey_Skies
  • Haha 1