"I have never had..."

Guest Spaulding

Guest Spaulding

Hubby and I were talking the obvious subject last night -- Covid. I have gone through all this time and never had the test yet. No need.

That brought up other things I've never had. I've never had a broken bone, a broken heart, or my fingers printed.

Do you have any never-hads that are unusual for most people?

Have to say I have never had a broken bone or my fingers printed. 

Never had a driving lesson (I can't drive for medical reasons - so a bit of cheat that one). Never owned my own horse - always had to ride my brothers when younger.

Not sure they are unusual but there they are.

• Like 2

Have never been finger-printed, never gone to Hawaii, never ziplined (would be kinda fun though) or skydived, never met a president, never sang a solo (and everyone said AMEN! 😅), never won the lottery, never owned a Bentley, never flown an airplane, and...well...I'll stop there. Too many nevers! But the never-hads and all the hads have just made me ME! Like it or not. I'm just what-you-see-is-what-you-get! 🤪😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Spaulding
2 hours ago, Shamrock said:

Never owned my own horse - always had to ride my brothers when younger.

My extended family is so huge, there is a town named after some of them. But with that size, we are all at different levels of income. My grandmother was from the part of the family that is charity-balls and 5-to-24-bedroom-homes rich. She also had four siblings, who had kids, who had kids, who had..., so by the time time she died, when the whole family gathered after her funeral, we were talking to second and third cousins, plus the once- or twice-removeds.

My cousin Kathy was a real estate saleswoman back then. One of the distant cousins found out she rode a horse, and wanted to know if it was a polo pony. We poorer relations broke out laughing. Kathy took care of someone else's horse to enjoy riding it when the owner wasn't planning to ride it that day. We never even thought of polo ponies until that weekend, so yeah. A borrowed horse is still a horse.

Guest Spaulding
1 hour ago, quietspirit said:

never gotten a  traffic or a parking ticket,

I've had 7 tickets, and 5 out of 7 were handed to my by an officer when I was pulled over. (I had a lead foot and a car that rarely passed inspection when I was young.) I also found out recently why I got those tickets. It seems once you tell the cop why you were pulled over and why you are guilty, they have to write out the ticket. If you admit to nothing, sometimes they let you go.

Now they tell me. My foot is no longer lead and my car is no longer a clunker. 😆

Guest Spaulding
1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

never met a president,

If a person used to be a president, does that count? If so, you know me, so you have met a president.

I owned my own company for almost two years. (Secretarial services and resume writer.) That made me the president, CEO, CFO, marketing manager, cleaning crew, and chief bottle washer. 

I have never had... a beer. 

No, really. Nothing against alcohol (except when abused). I've had wine, champagne, etc., but never a beer. I've just never had any desire to try one,.. ever.

I grew up in a house that prohibited alcohol, so I never had early access, nor parents who introduced me to it. And perhaps after watching other family members run into trouble with drinking too much, it just made me even more cautious.

PS: That leads to another thing I've never had... a hangover. 

Edited by Accord64
  • Like 4

Who am I to chime in here, with all my 16 years of living?  That said, I've never broken a bone, never been out of the country (I'd love to travel the world one day), and never written a book.  Here's to my high hopes that the coming year will change that last one.  I hope to at least have a first draft in 2022, but time will tell, God willin'.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spaulding said:

never met a president,

When I was in the ninth grade, JFK visited our city during his campaign for President.. If our parents wrote permission slips to the school, we got to get out of school and go to the courthouse lawn and hear him speak. As he exited the yard he went down the sidewalk shaking hands as he went. I was standing in the line BEHIND those with whom he shook hands. No, I never met an sitting president. 

• Like 1

I’ve also never had a beer.

Never been to college/university (connection there?)

Never broken a bone, or even had a sprain...

Never eaten sushi...

Never gotten a speeding ticket...

Never owned a couch, armchair, or dining room table...

Never been to Boston in the fall (or at any other time.)

The more I think about it, the things I have done are far more unique and interesting than the things I haven’t done. 

I’ve been proposed to in an airplane (I said yes.)

I’ve had tea with a childhood friend of Osama bin Laden.

I’ve lived on three continents.

I’ve given birth in a moving vehicle.

I’ve been pulled over for drunk driving (did I mention I don’t drink?)

A plastic bag of okra once saved my life (actually, the credit goes to God, but the okra did play a significant role.)

I married my husband less than ten days after laying eyes on him for the first time.

And I could go on, but the kids are restless...

• Like 5

Guest Spaulding
22 hours ago, Emily Waldorf said:

Never gone in the ditch.

First time I ever did babysitting with my own car (to get there and back.) Got there in the daytime. Tried to leave in the dark. The yard was steep enough that I have no idea why or how they had a lawn. Also when I found out I have night-blindness. The husband had to take me home.

Fortunately, someone knew someone with a winch, or I would have had to pay more than I made. 🥴

Guest Spaulding
20 hours ago, quietspirit said:

JFK visited our city

When JFK was President, he couldn't even find the city I lived in... with a map. 😲