What's your most embarrassing moment?

Sarah Daffy

Mine is from when I was in ballet class. Two other girls and I were on a ballet barre together, and we were doing an exercise which involves leaning over and trying to touch your nose to your knees. When I was coming up from it, I hit the girl in front of me in the bottom. 😂 We both laughed about it.

What's yours?

• Haha 7

Guest Spaulding

My most embarrassing moments come under humiliating. So, won't tell them. Will tell an amusing one.

Mom wouldn't let me wear pants, but made my skirts and dresses long enough that she could let down the hem several times as I grew. They were always right below the knee. That was also the age of the miniskirt, so I kept hoping Mom would forget to lower them.

Mom became sick and died when I was in 10th grade.

The following year, I was in a new school and made friends. Huge school. 5000 students. Huge cafeteria. Only two lunches so 2500 students. Big round tables. The type you can only touch the other side if you're stretched clear across it. The cafeteria was in an L shape and our table was that perfect spot in the outer corner of the L to be seen by both sides. It would have been a good place to put a stage. Of course I was facing the corner. Not all those students. My friend passed me something across that table. I had to stand up and stretch across the table to get it.

And then I understood why Mom wanted me to be discreet with my skirts. There were laughs and wolf calls. My friend told me the entire caf saw my underwear. 😳

And that was the last time I wore dresses to school. 😆

Here are two:

1) Many years ago (early '70s maybe) at a friend's party, I was filling my plate with some of the hors d'oeuvres and standing next to a gal I'd never met. I said to her, "Oh, I see you're expecting!" She said very emphatically, "No, I'm not!" Yikes! Crawl under the table time! This was back when everyone was much thinner but she wasn't. {headslap} 😖🙄😲

2) Somewhere around 25 years ago, my husband's niece got engaged. As she was marrying into a family of money, there was a huge engagement party, hosted by the CEO and founder of one of the largest insurance companies in the country. Several of the family females had arrived and we were standing in a group talking when the CEO came over and everyone was introduced. I had on a nice black dress which he complimented me on. Thank you did not fall off my tongue. Tongue going before brain spewed out, "I love you!" Oh, ouch! I would sometimes say that to family or a friend for saying something nice to me. As he walked away, everyone looked at me as if I'd lost my mind, which I did and melted through the floor! Sooooooo embarrassed! 😣🤐😬🥴😵

• Haha 7

Rather insignificant, perhaps,  but melt-worthy at the time. I was oh, maybe 10-12 years old, and it was Christmas time. Some church members had stayed after the service to decorate the church for Christmas, including my family and young man attending college in the town my church is in.

Now, our church is divided into two parts by curtains: the sanctuary, where the Christmas trees were going up, and the fellowship area. I was zipping--and I mean zipping--from one place to another, at the velocity of a run. I sped through the curtains as if competing for the Kentucky Derby, and NOT looking where I was going. You guessed it, I ran smack into this young man. Naturally, he shouts, "Woah"--completing the Derby atmosphere--and holds me off at arms length, at which I turned and high-tailed it (albeit not quite so fast) into a back room.

Not really embarrassing, but humorous, at least to me:

Just a few weeks ago, I was hanging posters all over town, and I was on my 14th store, I think it was. I had been rushing all afternoon, and was feeling like an annoying broken record after saying the same thing over and over even though every business owner heard it only once. Plus I'm tired and sick of this.

As I step into the entryway, I see the public bulletin board, but decide I'd better ask the clerk, just in case. So I march confidently up to the counter and ask sweetly, "Do you have a public billboard?"

The clerk looks at me like I'm from Mars, and I, not catching my mistake, begin wondering why she's finding this difficult. ("Don't you know what a billboard is? I passed it on my way in!")

"A billboard," I repeat, holding up my poster. She directed me to the bulletin board I had passed on my way in, and I leave, wondering why she was so slow on the uptake. It wasn't until a while later that I realized my mistake...now I wonder how many of those weird looks I got that day were because I was asking for billboards to hang my posters on.

• Haha 5

I worked in a library in a small nearby town. I worked the circulation desk. One day a young woman came up to the desk. She was wearing what I thought was a maternity top. I asked her, "When are you due?" She looked at me and asked, "What do I do?" I responded three times with the word "WHEN". She said, "I am not pregnant." That wasn't the end of it. I found out later she was an assistant at a Christian day care center in that small town. 

To this day, I do not ask that question unless I KNOW that the young woman is, in fact, expecting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Spaulding

Friends of ours that we don't see often. One to two years after we attended their wedding.

"When are you due?" She wasn't.

40 years later, still friends of ours that we don't see. (FB friends now.)

I think we just covered all three ways that is embarrassing. 😳

Was visiting my sister and went to the town swimming pool complex. Took my toddler son into the main dressing area to get his suit on. We accidently walked into the Women's side.

Got out real quick, and before anyone got upset. No police called. If this wasn't 20 years ago, I'd probably be on that bad offender list. 🙄

• Like 2

Gee, I don't know . . . here's a few  good ones though.

1) When I was young (like really young, but I don't remember my exact age, had to be between 4 and 6) the phone rang and I answered it, assuming it was my dad calling from work.  "Hi Daddy, how's work?" Well . . . it wasn't.  In fact, I think it was a telemarketer. Now a very confused telemarketer. 😆😂 I promptly handed the phone to my mom, and curled up in my grandmother's lap, refusing to show my face.

2) This happened while I was doing fair ministry this past summer.  Let me tell you, it had been a loooooong day.  Finally, probably around 7:00 I'd say, we closed up our booth and my boss said we could go have some fun.  I wanted to eat dinner first, so I decided to buy myself a taco and a tamale from a little Mexican restaurant at the fair that my boss recommended.  I began to eat the tamale, when my boss gave me the weirdest look and said, "You know you're not supposed to eat the corn husk, right?" And I desperately tried to recover, so I said, "Yeah, uh, oh yeah, I, uh, I just figured that out.  Yeah."

3) This is my grand finale.  My famous one.  The coup de grace. Last year, I played a Russian in my fourth show (Love by Finnegan Krookmeyer), and after the second performance, our director said she brought flowers for each of us in the cast and we were welcome to take them after we got out of costume after the show.  So when I came out of the dressing room, I saw one large bucket full of luscious, colorful flowers.  There was only one bucket left, so I assumed everyone else had already taken theirs and that one was for me.  I mean, it was a fair assumption on two points: director did say FLOWERS for us, not A FLOWER.  Secondly, I take my time in the dressing room and I was one of the last ones out, so it made sense to assume the last bucket left was mine.  So what do I do?  I take the bucket and go on my merry way.  Before my parents and I leave, I got some funny looks from a couple of my friends and they asked if they could grab a flower.  Only then was it explained to me that the idea was to take ONE flower each.  Not one bucket each.  My dad said I turned a very nice shade of red.  I would have died of embarrassment that night if I hadn't already been dying of laughter, along with everyone else around.

• Haha 3

This is not my most embarrassing moment, but it definitely is a contender for the stupidest one.

Yesterday - before the family arrived at 6pm I had the afternoon to while away so I decided to finish proofing the final chapters of RUTH.   Now prior to this I had gone through and made all the edits/changes etc I wanted from the feedback from my beta readers. This was the final touch before being able to basket in the (momentary) glow if 'job done'.

Except it was not. Don't ask me how I did it but I did.

My habit when drafting an MS is to number them. When I get the post BR they get numbered BR1, BR2 etc.  Until the final draft which gets FV to it went done. Clever clogs here had only went and proof-read the unedited MS and did not realise until the 2nd to last chapter. HOWL!

So my job this week is going through the unedited but proof-read version(with PWA again) and doing all the changes then doing a last proof. 

Feeling very stupid at the moment.🙃

• Like 2

Most?  I was in the 11th grade and I raised my hand to ask the lady teacher a question.   I thought I’d supplement my inquisitiveness by calling on her.  “Mom!”  

The boys in my class needled me to no end.

I can’t recall the teacher’s age group.  She either thought of it as a complement for her maternal ways—or as a drawback.  I didn’t see her reaction, as I buried my forehead on the desk amidst the laughter.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, quietspirit said:

To this day, I do not ask that question unless I KNOW that the young woman is, in fact, expecting. 

That’s a rule I also follow religiously...except for once. I was at a friend’s house and she mentioned that another friend of hers was coming by so she could drive her to her prenatal appointment.

So the other friend shows up obviously, painfully, hugely pregnant...and I decide I’m safe to break my rule, just this once, and ask, “So, you’re expecting?”

And the girl looks at me and says, “No.”

🥴

(Turns out she really was pregnant—it was a PRENATAL appointment after all. She just had an odd sense of humor, I suppose.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

After giving this a lot of thought, I'd have to say the most embarrassing things that happened to me, occurred when I was going to school.  That was whenever I brought home my report cards, for my parents to see.

I don't want to give any details.  I just want to say that was more that sixty years ago.  Since then, I have considerably improved with age.

• Like 2