Revisiting the Place of Surrender

Donna Williams

I have been doing a lot of reflecting on what my relationship with the Lord has been like since I received Him as Savior back in November of 1981.

It is almost forty years later, and I am just now understanding that the life of the believer is one of total surrender to the will of God. 

I have come to understand that Jesus wants us to know Him not just as Savior, but as Savior and Lord.

He desires that we allow the Holy Spirit to lead us to the place of total surrender to His lordship. 

Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name? And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' NKJV 

Jesus has given us the power or the authority to do all these things in His name, but He desires most that we obey His commandments. The emphasis should not be about our ministries or about the miracles that the Holy Spirit may use us to perform, but it's about our obedience!

I have made many mistakes by not acknowledging the Holy Spirit, and not allowing Him to lead. It caused me to suffer a great deal of heartache and pain. 

Now I understand why we have been commanded to take up our cross and to follow Him daily. We must be willing to die to our own wills, in order to obey the will of God. We must follow the example of Jesus, who humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

I am grateful for the grace and the mercy of God, because without it, I would have been consumed a long time ago!