Pondering Person of the Year

Ragamuffin_John

Time Magazine is likely revving up to put the finishing touches on their "Person of the Year".

I'd prefer it be someone of virtue, but of course, a scalawag or evil person can be chosen, as

the choice is ultimately about impact.

So, in trying to be neutral, on the global scale, I'd have to think it's Xi, Putin or Biden.  

On the U.S. domestic scene I choose Joe Willie Namath.  Not for football lore but for his incessant, giddy (and I suppose informative) "It's free!" announcement about Medicare Advantage plans that at least 12-million plus folks are allegedly entitled to receive.   This has opened the flood gates to a slew of promoters and celebrities announcing the same.   Some of it seems over the top, like the elixir salesman in  "Outlaw Josey Wales".    Even William Shatner is in the mix.   He has been in space--including the air waves on this.  

So yes, I'm tired about these ads, albeit these are for a good cause.   The announcements are non-stop, 24/7, taking up huge chunks of our listening time each day.  Okay, guess that means there is an immediate solution.  Cut down on my TV time.   That's a free remedy. 

Thus my nomination of Mr/QB Namath as Person of the Year.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

So yes, I'm tired about these ads, albeit these are for a good cause.   The announcements are non-stop, 24/7, taking up huge chunks of our listening time each day.  Okay, guess that means there is an immediate solution.  Cut down on my TV time.   That's a free remedy.

I use the MUTE button on my TV remote for all commercials. I tire easily of the "Free" hype. I have counted as many as three or four in a row.  I also wonder about the mailed 'come ons", how many trees died for this campaign?  As a child, I heard "There's no such thing as a free lunch."  I also get tired of the Black Friday ads.  As you might guess, I am not a shopper. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quietspirit said:

I use the MUTE button on my TV remote for all commercials. I tire easily of the "Free" hype. I have counted as many as three or four in a row.  I also wonder about the mailed 'come ons", how many trees died for this campaign?  As a child, I heard "There's no such thing as a free lunch."  I also get tired of the Black Friday ads.  As you might guess, I am not a shopper. 

quietspirit, we have to be related.   I like my medicine straight, with no antics in front of Lady Liberty.

• Like 1

Guest Spaulding

@Ragamuffin_John

First -- nuts! I have to research the word scalawag again. (I've been using it in terms of a character from Liverpool calling a bunch of children scalawag.) Shoot. It was a good name for a group in my story. 🥴

Second -- Medicare has had those programs all along. You just had to be poor enough to get on them. (Not just broke -- flat broke.) It bothers me that all those celebrities do the commercials. I have trouble believing they are that flat broke. What did they do with their money? And, since they got that gig, are they kicked off because they make too much money again?

Third -- I would be shocked if Man of the Year went to anyone worthy. It has been political for so long. But I do get a kick out of their choices. If you look back, so many became unacceptable quickly. 

On 12/5/2021 at 9:38 AM, Spaulding said:

It bothers me that all those celebrities do the commercials. I have trouble believing they are that flat broke. What did they do with their money? And, since they got that gig, are they kicked off because they make too much money again?

I has bothered me about the "name" people as well.  Yes, they made "big bucks" off of us. They should have had someone looking out for them and how they spent their funds. I wonder, were they paid a lump sum payment for their doing these ads or do they receive a certain amount of money each time that ad is shown. 

Tomorrow is the deadline. I am ready for those ads to be over!

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:38 AM, Spaulding said:

@Ragamuffin_John

First -- nuts! I have to research the word scalawag again. (I've been using it in terms of a character from Liverpool calling a bunch of children scalawag.) Shoot. It was a good name for a group in my story. 🥴

Second -- Medicare has had those programs all along. You just had to be poor enough to get on them. (Not just broke -- flat broke.) It bothers me that all those celebrities do the commercials. I have trouble believing they are that flat broke. What did they do with their money? And, since they got that gig, are they kicked off because they make too much money again?

Third -- I would be shocked if Man of the Year went to anyone worthy. It has been political for so long. But I do get a kick out of their choices. If you look back, so many became unacceptable quickly. 

I think your use of scalawag would work fine.  Just one of those words that can be viewed anywhere from mischievous to downright loathsome, depending on the tone.  Kind of like ragamuffin I suppose 🙂