Are there any examples of "whatever"? (Philippians 4:8)

William D'Andrea

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things."

(Philippians 4:8)

Could any of you give examples of things that are "Just", "Pure", "Lovely", "of Good Report", "Virtue", "Praiseworthy", that are going on the the World today, so we can meditate on them? 

Edited by William D'Andrea

• William D'Andrea changed the title to Are there any examples of "whatever"? (Philippians 4:8)

My elderly mom sitting in bed, working her crossword puzzle while absent-mindedly scratching her dog behind the ear ... is noble.

The lady who runs the local Habitat for Humanity store, without compensation, trusting that God will reward her one day ... is just.

My granddaughter's laughter when she's avoiding getting a tongue bath from one of my dogs ... is pure.

The line of volunteers unloading boxes and crates for the local food pantry ... is of good report.

Those are a few of the "whatever's" in my life that have virtue and are praiseworthy and worthy of meditation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

God's love, provision, mercy, and especially forgiveness, are true.  And that's what I have to keep reminding myself after having a rotten day.

My completing a math test today is noble. 😂 (Joking, joking.)

The missionary work going on all over the world is of good report.  Remember to pray for missionaries!

Edited by Grey_Skies
Oof, embarrassing typos
  • Like 2

Confession time ... I had to think hard to come up with my examples.  It made me realize that this world is forcing a negative agenda on us, trying to convince us that there is nothing praiseworthy and worthy of meditation.  It builds fear and worry within us.  It distracts us.  It is intended to kill, steal, and destroy.

But we are aware of the enemy's schemes, and we tear down these strongholds in our minds.  We lift our eyes to Jesus, and we rise above this world.  Then we are able to see that the light shines even brighter when it is surrounded by darkness.

There are many "whatever's" in this world, deserving of our attention and our praise.  Let us dedicate ourselves to searching for them and letting them be seen, to the glory of God.

Thank you @William D'Andrea for this timely reminder.

I've always had trouble with this passage.  Finding good things to concentrate on, that  are going on all over the World, has always been very difficult for me.  Especially when there are tempting things to distract my thoughts.

Now I've just begun to think that maybe we should concentrate, or "meditate" on the good things that are going on in our own personal lives, and thank the Lord for them.  Whenever I do, I have peace of mind and a sense of well being.

However, it doesn't last.  Another verse says, "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you."

With me he always comes back, or maybe he just never leaves.

Lord have mercy on us, your easily distracted people.  I ask in Jesus Name.  Amen.

Edited by William D'Andrea

Guest Spaulding

We just had our congregational meeting, so let me list what I heard that's worth meditating on from that list.

• Whatever is true: No one ever expected what happened in the last 22 months... and still going. And yet, God still reigns, He is still making Him a people who will love and worship him forever, and He loves us eternally.
  • Whatever is honorable: Our church is looking for more greeters and more help in the nursery. The deacons and elders are working hard behind the scenes.
  • Whatever is just: We didn't join our church until a year before COVID hit, but I came to know the woman, and she gave me the summary of what happened. "I thought I married a believer, and yet he was not." The ex-husband she was talking about fooled everyone as a member of our church. My denomination is exacting on standards for divorce. There is only one reason for divorce. The verdict has been finalized. She is divorced, and he is excommunicated. Justice. (Excommunication isn't forever. We keep talking to the person, and if/when he/she repents, they are welcomed back.)
  • Whatever is pure: The two women who run our nursery ministry are my age. (Mid 60s.) Nursery age is 3 months to 4 years old. There has never been a single minute since this church started that no one was pregnant, so there are at least a dozen that age at any time. God bless those woman for having that kind of patience. Others help, but they are the backbone and think nothing of what they do.
  • Whatever is lovely: Our church "always" had a Summer Camp for kids. (We're in Philly, so that doesn't come with cabins in the woods.) It is run by younger folk. And most of the "camp counselors" are from a town in Ireland. Planning for it starts in the wintertime. So one of their women came over to plan... when COVID hit. She was stuck here, but she could keep talking to the guy that heads the help team here. That was Summer Camp 2019, which didn't happen because of COVID. But the following Holiday Season he went to visit her at her parents. (Two weeks quarantine coming and going for both of them and each of these trips.) Last summer, he went back. (No Summer Camp then either.) And they married. On a Tuesday morning/afternoon, (depending on which continent you were on to watch it on Zoom), because COVID restrictions put holds on weddings for so long, you marry whenever you can get a pastor. Two other of my friends just announced they're getting married next May. (Love in the Time of COVID.)
  • Whatever is commendable: That young man who married in Ireland is our Youth Pastor. He told us how the Youth Ministry was going, but I heard better. I don't have kids, so it is rare I hear parents talking about their teenage kids. But I was privileged to be going to a women's Bible study in a crowded car, when two woman spent a good 5-10 minutes talking about how good he is with teens.
  • If there is any excellence: Our weekly sermons are also Bible Studies. Our teaching elders, (what most people call pastors), go from the beginning to the end of a book in the Bible, a few verses per week, and with three-point sermons. They went to seminary as post-graduate work to learn, to teach. Then they have to get licensure. (T'ain't easy, and they are trying their best to make sure those who pas are believers.) Our ruling elders, (what most people call... um, elders), have secular jobs. Our pastors blow me away with their understanding, thoroughness, and how to apply it every time they teach. It takes them about 30 hours to prepare for the sermon. And, it takes about 30 hours for the elders to prepare too. They, too, blow me away. Possibly more so, since half of them didn't go to seminary to learn it.
  • If there is anything worthy of praise: God working all this out even during a pandemic. AND that my church isn't the only church doing this.

And here is a song about the biggest "whatever."

Great thoughts, Spaulding, about your church. That's wonderful!

With so much negative and vicious and hateful things going on around us, if one focused on it all, mental instability would set in. For me to keep my sanity, I have to ignore the depravity and focus on giving thanks and praise to the Lord, standing on His Word and depending on His power and might. For the Lord is all those things: true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy! “Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Your ways, O King of the saints!” (Rev. 15:3 NKJV) ❤️

Guest Spaulding
12 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

With so much negative and vicious and hateful things going on around us, if one focused on it all, mental instability would set in.

Hubby's sickness changed me to mentally disabled. The looting and riots two summers ago did make me fall into the deep end. God has been slowly picking up the pieces and reminding me what my job is. (Pray continuously, give thanks, be joyfully, love Him and others completely, and remember what the big hope is for.)

I gave up watching the news last January. Funny thing. I didn't know anything happened in the Capital, or an embassy was bombed, or we left Afghanistan until a week later. But it was a most excellent time before and after the elections. (Dad tore his ALC, was operated on, but needed someone to help him when he came home, so I volunteered. On the way home we stopped so he could vote. The surgery was that same day, so he was tired, but he'd stay up to find out who won. At 3 AM I convinced him to go to bed. And, at that time it was the longest count to find out. Gore V Bush. Who knew this one would be longer?

Life is less complicated with politics that I can't fix no matter what.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, Nick Cole said:

My elderly mom sitting in bed, working her crossword puzzle while absent-mindedly scratching her dog behind the ear ... is noble.

The lady who runs the local Habitat for Humanity store, without compensation, trusting that God will reward her one day ... is just.

My granddaughter's laughter when she's avoiding getting a tongue bath from one of my dogs ... is pure.

The line of volunteers unloading boxes and crates for the local food pantry ... is of good report.

Those are a few of the "whatever's" in my life that have virtue and are praiseworthy and worthy of meditation.

I really liked Nick's offerings!

Okay, I have an answer to the question William posed. As I see it anything done for the LORD qualifies for those categories.

Local Food Pantries, Ministries going on to reach those who are homeless, people who are foster parents, people who volunteer to work for the LORD. Those who work with disadvantaged children.  Those who work with the elderly.