21st century wiggle room

Guest Spaulding

Guest Spaulding

I don't keep up on the latest trends for any age, so I need some help on which word makes more sense to 21st century kids -- shimmied or scootchied?

In context: "With some effort, Ryan _________ out from the bigger stuffies." (15 characters squeezed around one crate.)

My brain has been foggy lately, but I'll try to ask the kiddos tomorrow after school. You can certainly message me if I don't remember Spaulding. My first inclination was to just day scootched, as my kids tell each other to scootch all the time and I've never heard them say shimmy.

Guest Spaulding
2 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

My vote goes to this too.  It sounds more natural.  Don't trust me too much on these matters though; I may be a 21st century kid, but I have the mentality of a Boomer.

My friends' kids are boomers, so you're closer to this decade than I am.

Guest Spaulding
7 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

I vote for plain ol' squeezed. Sounds more like trying to get out of all the others tightly squished together.

He is trying to get out. He's with his friends, but his family has come after weeks. But he's very polite.

Edited by Spaulding
typo, of course

Guest Spaulding
On 12/3/2021 at 8:09 AM, carolinamtne said:

Is this physically trying to extricate himself, or is he trying to find an excuse to leave?

Physically.

Guest Spaulding
4 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

So what's wrong with "wiggle"?

This is completely subjective, but in my mind wiggle is about the speed and urgency of a bobblehead doll. A frantic motion, like he has to escape, rather than he's trying to go somewhere.

I can almost here someone apologize when skootching, (like people do when they're getting out of an inside seat at the movies.) It's more polite and less frantic. Unfortunately, it seems it's either a localism or out of style, because enough people have never heard it.

And shimmy is that forward-backward move we do when we're already on the sled, fear losing our balance when taking off, so shimmy until the sled tips downward on the hill. More of an I-need-to-go move than a get-me-away move.

(But I don't overthink words at all, do I? 😳)

OK. This is what OneLook Thesaurus offered (the first 20):

1. wriggle 2. squirm 3. jiggle 4. shake 5. move 6. moves 7. stir 8. budge 9. shimmy 10. slither 11. twirl 12. scoot 13. contort 14. crawl 15. uncross 16. straighten 17. clench 18. uncurl 19. uncoil 20. waggled

I might go with "squirm" or "slither," but I left my teens a long time ago. Maybe "scoot" is related to "scootch"?

• 2 weeks later...

Gen X takes another drink as it's forgotten by zoomers, boomers and millennials again. 😉

I can't top any of the suggestions from the thesaurus or others here.

Does using more urban slang help the story or setting? Does it improve the flavor or alienate other readers? Otherwise, be like Shakespeare and make up your own word if you want. 😉 As long as it does the job, everyone's good.

Just something to think of.