How To Write A Novel

Johne

My friends Valerie Francis and Leslie Watts put together an in-depth list of tools using the Story Grid method about how to write a novel here:
https://storygrid.com/how-to-write-a-novel/

For the sake of simplicity, we’ve organized this post in a linear fashion as though the story idea happens first and the writing continues logically, step-by-step, through the first draft (whether you’re a pantser or a plotter) and the editing, to the finished working manuscript. Of course, creativity doesn’t work that way so you could find yourself entering this process at any point along the spectrum. That’s absolutely fine. All you have to do is work backwards and forwards from your starting point.

If you’re new to Story Grid, don’t worry. Throughout the article we’ve linked to other posts and podcast episodes that will help you understand the methodology in greater detail.

Above all else, remember this: Everything is in service of the story.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

I write a novel by starting out writing a short story.  My basic impulses take it from there...

Roger Zelazny did this, writing short stories for his own use which he later developed into full novels. 

• Like 1