Give it to me straight

jadijohnson

57 minutes ago, Jeff Potts said:

Can you provide more info about this?

From what I've seen of the overall tech savvy of the traditional publishing scene, I doubt they'd have the intellectual and technological wherewithal to snag your manuscript right from your PC or even cloud storage. 

The plagiarism (aka copyright infringement) occurred back in the days when you could send a query letter directly to a publisher, and they would request the manuscript if they were interested in seeing it.  This horrible experience has made me leery.  Like I said, I can't go through that again...

Guest Spaulding
4 hours ago, Jeff Potts said:

OK, one note of caution: you might want to make several backups if they are on thumb drives.

Thumb drives are made cheaply.  The memory in those things tends to wear out relatively quickly.  After a while you start getting bad sectors, and that'll corrupt the files you have stored on there.  It's one of the reasons why I generally use portable hard drives.  Even better when you can get ahold of a SSD.

Eek! He's part of the family now.

I guess he retires as proof of first-copy only. All in all, not bad since he hates having his head yanked off. (I'm sane, but the definition of sanity is broad. 🤭)

Thanks for the "head's up."

Guest Spaulding
3 hours ago, jadijohnson said:

Well, this is terrible to hear.  The flash drive I have is the only updated copy I have of each story!  The old computer held the other copy.  I guess I better look into getting a portable hard drive!

My last laptop died. But I still have its hard drive because it still works. Having the hard drive on an older computer has helped me twice. (First time, I thought I had it backed up, but lost a chapter.) Don't give up the hard drive just because the 'puter broke.

1 hour ago, Spaulding said:

My last laptop died. But I still have its hard drive because it still works. Having the hard drive on an older computer has helped me twice. (First time, I thought I had it backed up, but lost a chapter.) Don't give up the hard drive just because the 'puter broke.

Your comment gives me hope, Spaulding!  Thanks!  If I've tried the lamp test and bought a new power cord, do you know what else I can try?  I'm not ready to give up yet.  I felt safe using that computer...

some laptops won't work if the battery is flat and don't allow it to operate without the  battery installed. If the battery won't charge, depending on the age of the computer, your battery may be incapable of holding a charge anymore. Keep in mind the life span of a computer these days is 3-4 years as they are built to fail (Built-in obsolescence) so parts like batteries and network chips are usually the most likely to fail first. If the power/charging section of the motherboard is malfunctioning, there is no way to fix this. The best option to diagnose your problem is to find someone with a similar computer and use their 'working' battery/charger to see if that is the problem because getting a new charger or battery could be wasted money if the problem is actually in the computer itself.

Jadi, I'm wondering something. I''m seeing a disparity here. I'm not sure the computer is your problem. Or your true concern. Your work was stolen at a publisher. I don't think the security of your computer had anything to do with it. I think your mistrust is with others not from them stealing from your computer. Or I could be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Jadi, I'm wondering something. I''m seeing a disparity here. I'm not sure the computer is your problem. Or your true concern. Your work was stolen at a publisher. I don't think the security of your computer had anything to do with it. I think your mistrust is with others not from them stealing from your computer. Or I could be wrong.

You're right, Lynn.  My computer had nothing to do with the theft.  But once your work is stolen, it makes you fearful that it could happen again.  That's why I'm super careful now.  

11 minutes ago, jadijohnson said:

But once your work is stolen, it makes you fearful that it could happen again.

It can, but we have control over that very understandable impulse. I've had my own work stolen and shared widely from Russian websites, which spread like a cancer around the world. It made me furious, it made me feel helpless, it made me very cynical for a hot minute. I had to pray about it, and (as you'd expect) it was a scripture verse which ultimately brought me peace: 

“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”
2 Timothy 1:7

We have been given control over our thoughts and fears. I gave all that up to God and moved on with my writing and my life, and haven't looked back. I now collaborate freely on Google Docs with my writing group and share everything there, and it's totally fine (but things have gotten much better in that regard over the years).

(I also got a Mac and an iPhone and enjoy the added security from those, but if I'm honest, I got the iPhone because of the camera and the Mac because the best version of Scrivener is on MacOS.) 😉

• Like 1

Guest Spaulding
9 hours ago, jadijohnson said:

No, I haven't had it looked at by a pro.  I'm sure they charge a lot just to take a peek.  Then they add on the cost of parts.  It made more sense to just buy a new laptop. 🙂

How about a computer techie in the form of friend, family, or church? I can't fix a computer, but hubby can. Most people know someone who can fix basic stuff. And if not basic stuff, can at least retrieve a hard drive.

You don't know if fixing cost more than buying another, until you find out how much it costs. And if you do buy a new one, make sure it isn't HP. I'm on my second one in 21 months, and I sometimes feel like I'm back to 56k modem when I'm trying to Zoom.

14 hours ago, Spaulding said:

How about a computer techie in the form of friend, family, or church? I can't fix a computer, but hubby can. Most people know someone who can fix basic stuff. And if not basic stuff, can at least retrieve a hard drive.

You don't know if fixing cost more than buying another, until you find out how much it costs. And if you do buy a new one, make sure it isn't HP. I'm on my second one in 21 months, and I sometimes feel like I'm back to 56k modem when I'm trying to Zoom.

I've thought about contacting my church and asking if one of the members knows computers.  I'll go ahead and do that.

Funny you mention HP.  That's what my new laptop is!!!

My somewhat old Lenovo "Yoga" laptop (with Windows) initially required me to link up with email.  But I figured out that that was only because I was using the preinstalled Microsoft Edge as the default browser.   I resolved that by using Firefox for browsing.   Even better, once I get on the internet with Firefox, I then go to duckduckgo.com when I need to browse.   Cumbersome, but effective.   Using VPN has also allayed a lot of my concerns. 

• Like 1

Wow!  I just can't win!  I was told the HP 14" laptop does not require you to hook up to the internet, but that isn't true.  Is there any way I can override this request and still use the laptop?  

Thanks again for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I would sincerely be lost without you guys. ❤️

Guest Spaulding
8 hours ago, jadijohnson said:

Wow!  I just can't win!  I was told the HP 14" laptop does not require you to hook up to the internet, but that isn't true.  Is there any way I can override this request and still use the laptop?  

Thanks again for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I would sincerely be lost without you guys. ❤️

I ignore the HP request after the initial one. They do stop after a bit; however, I have the opposite problem now. The built-in gizmo, (honest. I'm not computer savvy), wouldn't recognize mu wi-fi access, so hubby gave me the same gizmo as an attachment. And it still is iffy on if I can come online, and stay online. I'd email HP about it, but since I skipped the first part, no idea how to. And, second HP in 22 months.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:41 PM, Spaulding said:

I ignore the HP request after the initial one. They do stop after a bit; however, I have the opposite problem now. The built-in gizmo, (honest. I'm not computer savvy), wouldn't recognize mu wi-fi access, so hubby gave me the same gizmo as an attachment. And it still is iffy on if I can come online, and stay online. I'd email HP about it, but since I skipped the first part, no idea how to. And, second HP in 22 months.

You're lucky to have a techy living with you!  😃