Excited New Member :)

Writing Em

Hi everyone! 

I am very excited to be here. I have been realizing lately that I really need community support if I am every going to finish one of my writings. This website is so cool! I can't wait to start participating! 

A little about myself and my writing:

I am in my early 20's and have been working on a fictional world since I was in elementary school. C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkein, Andrew Peterson, N. D. Wilson, and Ted Dekker are some of my biggest inspirations. My biggest goal in my stories that take place in my world is to proclaim the truth about God's character and human nature and how they interact in a way that strips away any prejudice that comes from living in this world. I find that it can be easier to accept truth if you step into a world that you have no previous bias toward. 

I have found that my writing process is very non-linear. I have many stories that I have started and many plans for how I want the big picture to work out. I often come to problems in one story that I need a sounding board to work out and then that might lead me to adding to another story which leads to another problem to work out and so on... This seems like a great place to ask for help working out those problems. I also love hearing about other writers' work and have found that answering other people's questions or helping with others' problems often helps me work out my own. I can't wait to start responding to others' posts!

At this point in my life, I am not able to write full time, so my writing time has been sporadic at best. I am currently student teaching in my home town in a 3rd grade classroom. That ends before Christmas break. I am also engaged and will be getting married in June. On top of those things I just have regular life of appointments, cleaning my living space and spending time with people I love. Within the other parts of my life, writing is definitely a big passion that use all my other experiences to inspire and I think experiencing the community on this website will add to my inspiration and I hope I can add to yours too! Thank you for having me!

-Em

• Like 2

Welcome to our writing family, Em. Glad you joined us. In order to post a portion of your work in the critique forum, you will need 10+ comments and allow time for the system to catch up. Then be sure to read the forum's rules there. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Writing Em said:

I have found that my writing process is very non-linear. I have many stories that I have started and many plans for how I want the big picture to work out.

Absolutely!  For a large world with significant details to develop, I prefer a non-linear writing style.  One day, I might be inspired to write in one area.  The next day, it's somewhere else.  Then a week later, I realize that I really, really want to go in a specific direction and the only way to do that is to go back to something I've already done and make a change there to be consistent.  Once you have a good feeling for where the story is going, you might drop back to a more structured writing style with outlines for each chapter, but in the early, creative stages, non-linear is the way to go!

Welcome to the forum!  I'm looking forward to exchanging ideas with you in the Critiques & Feedback forum. 

• Like 1

One thing I should have mentioned, Em, is that there is one downside to this approach:  I have sometimes found myself tossing out large chunks of material because it simply couldn't be integrated into the story.  When you write in a non-linear fashion, it's almost like writing separate stories.  Sometimes the stories merge neatly.  Sometimes they take a lot of editing to get them to work together.  Sometimes they don't merge at all, and large sections get tossed out entirely.

That's okay.  The story is developing.

Every now and then, something wonderful happens.  A jarring inconsistency between two parts of your story creates a tension in the story that you decide to leave in place.  Life is that way.  How many times do we ask God to remove a thorn in our lives, only to have God say, "My strength is sufficient?"  Stories are more realistic when characters in one part of the refuse to adapt to characters in another part.  Their conflict and its resolution adds flavor to the overall tale.

Again, I wish you the best and I'm looking forward to seeing some of what you're writing.  

• Like 1