Who Has Time for This?

Hope says:

"Prose doesn't have to be pretty. It doesn't have to have flourishes and decoration.  It does need to be powerful. It needs to convey characters' emotions. It needs to present moods in a way the reader feels them. It needs to reveal the plot without jerking us back into the real world. It needs to weave themes together in a way we know them in the deepest part of who we are.  Prose is powerful if we do it right. And we have no excuse to not do it right."

No excuse?  Who has the time to write powerful prose when the exigencies of the world are constantly intruding?  I mean, it would be nice, but... do you have the time to write powerful prose?  Do you write powerful characters, or are you characters tepid at best?

You non-fiction writers, does your prose sing like it should, or are you as befuddled as I am how to do it?

Edited by suspensewriter

The quote is refreshing in that it actually defines its use of the word powerful, so as not to misdirect us. As I read that definition, it's just saying that prose done right uses some basic standards of good planning and craftsmanship. I'd expect nothing less if I were buying a pair of shoes, or a coffee table, so why would I expect less when purchasing a book?

There are places where I might question the no excuse part. If I were building a coffee table, or writing a book as just a hobby, I'm allowed to be as free and easy as I choose. 'Course, I'd be doing it for myself, and it might be unwise to expect others to pay money for it. There's no dishonor in writing as a hobby, but we want to understand the cost of going further. Moving beyond that likely needs a serious commitment.

There are far, far, (farfarfarfar) more unpublished writers than published ones, many of whom are willing to put in the effort to produce a well crafted work in order to finally see publication. If we do any less, we're at a disadvantage. 

Edited by Wes B
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

You non-fiction writers, does your prose sing like it should, or are you as befuddled as I am how to do it?

I'm not quite sure how to answer this. I do what I can but I know I can do better. And yes, probably rather befuddled as to how. {sigh}

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 2:49 PM, suspensewriter said:

No excuse?  Who has the time to write powerful prose when the exigencies of the world are constantly intruding?  I mean, it would be nice, but... do you have the time to write powerful prose?  Do you write powerful characters, or are you characters tepid at best?

I'm not dead yet, so apparently I still have time. Life trumps writing, but that doesn't mean there is no time to write. I started writing this story in 2010. I have one book written, and have been working on the second for five years. I haven't finished the first draft. There are five more books.

I'm going to die. The question is will I finish this story first? Unknown, but I'm going to make it as powerful as I can. Why make it mediocre?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, suspensewriter said:

Prose is powerful if we do it right.

This is the real question, I think: how do we write right. I don't think there's one right way, but if there's one right way for me, I want to find it, and I want to give myself over to it fully until I accomplish what I've set out to do.

(The Story Grid Guild is working on breaking down what makes for powerful prose next year, and it's shaping up to be ground-breaking training. It's pricey, but already feels like it will be worth it.)

• Thanks 1