Audio version of Spanish (Castilian) Bible

For years, i've tried to find an audio version of a

Bible in Castilian-Spanish that one can listen to while on the web.

I finally found one at this link:  https://www.biblica.com/bible/cst/1-corintios/13/

This is a rarity.  Biblegateway.com and other sites have audio versions of

the older Castilian "Reina Valera" (basically like the King James, as it is from the

"Received Text") but the speakers talk with the Western Hemisphere Spanish

accent.   The Biblica "CST" Bible rendition is the real deal.

I won't delve into all the nuances as to why a Spaniard would prefer to hear a

Castilian version rather than, say, a person with a native Mexican accent,

except to point out that from an emotional and cultural view, hearing the Bible

in one's own street accent is the most unfiltered way to take in the Scriptures.

I am not a Spaniard, but my excitement about this stems from having relatives

who are Spaniards and from the practical standpoint that my Spanish is better

than my English.   So yes, hearing this audio version really resonates.

If you have relatives, friends, acquaintances, etc. who are Spaniards, a little "friend evangelism"

by providing this link might prove a gift to them.   Also, if you know high school/college students

who are interested in learning "spanish-Spanish"....

The CST is a modern translation version.   I have asked Biblegateway.com to consider adding

the CST audio feature to their list. 

Edited by Ragamuffin_John

1 hour ago, Ragamuffin_John said:

I won't delve into all the nuances as to why a Spaniard would prefer to hear a

Castilian version rather than, say, a person with a native Mexican accent,

except to point out that from an emotional and culture view,, hearing the Bible

in one's own street accent is the most unfiltered way to take in the Scriptures.

I am not a Spaniard, but my excitement about this stems from having relatives

who are Spaniards and from the practical standpoint that my Spanish is better

than my English.   So yes, hearing this audio version really resonates.

You've hit upon something that's deep, earthy, ancient, and that has been a part of the human experience through most of history. The idea of reading scripture from a book is historically a modern thing. Only for the last few hundred years could scripture could be experienced by the masses as a solitary activity.

For the prior three millennia, it was a community activity, experienced by hearing, either as it was read, or sometimes memorized and performed. The Bible is packed with little references to this, (e.g., Jesus speaking to the Pharisees says, "You have read in scripture..." yet when speaking to the crowds, says, "You have heard it said...")

It's actually a huge cultural difference between us and the characters we read of in the Bible. Our modern culture has so many places where it's hard to function if we can't read, but back in the day, they lived in an oral culture, far more community-oriented, where everything was learned by hearing.

As a history nerd, I try with limited success to imagine this world. You are a few steps closer to actually experiencing it...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wes B said:

You've hit upon something that's deep, earthy, ancient, and that has been a part of the human experience through most of history. The idea of reading scripture from a book is historically a modern thing. Only for the last few hundred years could scripture could be experienced by the masses as a solitary activity.

For the prior three millennia, it was a community activity, experienced by hearing, either as it was read, or sometimes memorized and performed. The Bible is packed with little references to this, (e.g., Jesus speaking to the Pharisees says, "You have read in scripture..." yet when speaking to the crowds, says, "You have heard it said...")

It's actually a huge cultural difference between us and the characters we read of in the Bible. Our modern culture has so many places where it's hard to function if we can't read, but back in the day, they lived in an oral culture, far more community-oriented, where everything was learned by hearing.

As a history nerd, I try with limited success to imagine this world. You are a few steps closer to actually experiencing it...

Wes, I was excited to read your response.  It struck a chord, as it helps me understand the stirring up in me!  

• Thanks 1