Quotes from Charles Spurgeon

I was going through a web page or two of his quotes this past week in hopes of finding something that could be used as support material for my devotional...but, wow, he is profound. One can really learn something from him. Here's some of his wisdom for you.

Never fear dying, beloved. Dying is the last, but the least matter that a Christian has to be anxious about. Fear living - that is a hard battle to fight, a stern discipline to endure, a rough voyage to undergo.

Do not say, "I cannot help having a bad temper." Friend, you must help it. Pray to God to help you overcome it at once, for either you must kill it, or it will kill you. You cannot carry a bad temper into heaven.

https://www.christianquotes.info/quotes-by-author/charles-spurgeon-quotes/

The evil heart which still remaineth in the Christian, doth always, when it is not attacking or obstructing, still reign and dwell within him. My heart is just as bad when no evil emanates from it, as when it is all over vileness in its external developments. A volcano is ever a volcano; even when it sleeps, trust it not. A lion is a lion, even though he play like a kid; and a serpent, is a serpent, even though you may stroke it while for a season it slumbers; there is still a venom in its sting when its azure scales invite the eye.

My heart, even though for an hour, it may not have had an evil thought, is still evil. If it were possible that I could live for days without a single temptation from my own heart to sin, it would be still just as evil as it was before; and it is always either displaying its vileness, or else preparing for another display. It is either loading its cannon to shoot against us, or else it is positively at warfare with us. You may rest assured that the heart is never other than it originally was; the evil nature is still evil; and when there is no blaze, it is heaping up the wood, wherewith it is to blaze another day. It is gathering up from my joys, from my devotions, from my holiness, and from all I do, some materials to attack me at some future period.

The evil nature is only evil, and that continually, without the slightest mitigation or element of good. The new nature must always wrestle and fight with it; and when the two natures are not wrestling and fighting, there is no truce between them. When they are not in conflict, still they are foes. We must not trust our heart at any time; even when it speaks most fair, we must call it liar; and when it pretends to the most good, still we must remember its nature, for it is evil, and that continually.

Prayer is the slender nerve that moves the muscle of omnipotence.

Of the seven days God gave to us in a week, He said to take six, and use them for our business. Yet we think that we must have the seventh as well. It is like someone who, while traveling, comes upon a poor man in distress. Having but seven shillings, the generous person gives the poor man six, but when the wretch scrambles to his feet, he follows his benefactor to knock him down and steal the seventh shilling from him.

(Ouch.)

Half our fears arise from neglect of the Bible.

(Another ouch.)

Finally, my favorite one: A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2876959.Charles_Haddon_Spurgeon?page=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Spurgeon, (who had chronic depression), wrote devotionals. I read Morning and Evening every day for years. One year, I'd read morning and then the next year evening. After about ten years of doing this, once or twice a year, I'd remember having read that before. 😊

Edited by Spaulding
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Spurgeon, (who had chronic depression), wrote devotionals. I read Morning and Evening every day for years. One year, I'd read morning and then the next year evening. After about ten years of doing this, once or twice a year, I'd remember having read that before. 

I have tried to read his Morning and Evening. I have been considering reading it again during 2022. Thank you for your information.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Spurgeon, (who had chronic depression), wrote devotionals. I read Morning and Evening every day for years. One year, I'd read morning and then the next year evening. After about ten years of doing this, once or twice a year, I'd remember having read that before. 

I saw a few quotes of his mentioning depression and thought, Wait, what? LOL! (Not...LOL in that he had depression...Oh, you know what I mean.) I didn't know he wrote devotionals...I should've realized that...LOL!! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

I didn't even know he wrote something/some things! 😆 

Oh yeah, he was a major preacher and theologian as well.  I'm sure he must have done quite a bit of writing in his day.  I know much has been written about him . . . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grey_Skies said:

Oh yeah, he was a major preacher and theologian as well.  I'm sure he must have done quite a bit of writing in his day.  I know much has been written about him . . . 

Yes, I remember learning about him many times in history...He reminds me of the guy who played the MC in "I Can Only Imagine" (the movie)....LOL!! He deserves to have much written about him! He is amazing!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

He reminds me of the guy who played the MC in "I Can Only Imagine" (the movie)

Wait . . . how exactly does he remind you of that guy?  Just curious; I feel like I'm missing the connection.  However, "I Can Only Imagine" was definitely a good movie!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

Wait . . . how exactly does he remind you of that guy?  Just curious; I feel like I'm missing the connection.  However, "I Can Only Imagine" was definitely a good movie!!

The looks...More of his face, I guess...LOL!! I'm a weird person, I know. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spaulding said:

Warning: The last time I linked to a good movie, (Pilgrim's Progress), they stopped showing it for free on YouTube. That said, if you're going to watch this one about C.H. Spurgeon: The People's Preacher for free on YouTube, you'll want to watch soon. (Unless the last time was simply a fluke.) It's a good movie.

Thanks so much for a really wonderful link. It also brought me to something just as wonderful...

Not sure if people know YouTube well enough to follow a video link back to it's parent channel, but if you follow this back, to the Vision Video channel, you get to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/visionvideocom/videos

This is a huge archive of Christian videos... I could get lost there for months... not all are in English, and not all have closed captions to turn on if they're not, but there's an amazing selection there.

EDIT: Instead of huge, I should say huuuuuuuge... I think this is the first channel I've seen that I can't find the bottom of. (The way YouTube adds more space when you want to scroll below what they've shown just gets so slow and clumsy when you scroll down so deep that i ran out of patience...) It's also what I might call "denomination irrelevant." So, next to a video about someone our Roman Catholic friends might revere, will be a video about someone who the historical Catholics imprisoned or martyred. A very curious and rich collection...

BTW... it also includes a multi-chapter version of Pilgrim's Progress, so there's still some version of that available out there...

Edited by Wes B
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wes B said:

Not sure if people know YouTube well enough to follow a video link back to it's parent channel, but if you follow this back, to the Vision Video channel, you get to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/visionvideocom/videos

Thank you for sharing this link with us. I did a quick look and saw some things I  would like to explore, 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...