Has This Ever Happened to You?

quietspirit

Yesterday was a dreary day for us in Indiana. I was praying when I felt directed by the LORD to fast. He didn't tell me who to pray for but just to fast. I used to fast on a fairly regular basis but I got out of the habit. (I know, shame on me.) Our former pastor said we could fast a particular kind of food (pie, cake, that kind of thing.  I did fast two meals. In the past when I fasted, I would end that time by eating anything in sight. I often wondered if my fasting at that time really was looked on by God as being sincere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since some of the meds I take must be taken with food, I haven't considered a complete food fast for over 20 years, so I don't remember if God ever asked me to food fast. (I also can no longer remember the vast majority of my teachers' names, so there is that. 😆)

But our pastors include giving up something important, but not essential, to us -- Internet, sports, or shopping. I gave up snacking. Is there a sense of doing it for any other reason but for God? Sure. (I also lost 10 pounds that month.) It is our very nature to be self-absorbed. That is why God is giving us a new nature, which is the opposite of that.

But, since God asked you to fast, and you did. God gave you what you needed to do His will. Cool! This isn't your final one, but well done, good and faithful Servant.

• Thanks 2

Sometimes he asks us to do things, just to see if we will be obedient because if he can't trust us with the little things, how can he trust us with the big things. I have heard it said that obedience is the currency of heaven, I don't know if that is true or not, but obedience can be the hardest thing to learn as it is contrary to our nature. 

I have often thought that the most important thing about the fast is the sacrifice, I think of king David who went to buy the threshing floor from Araunah to build an alter to the Lord and although he was offered the land and oxen for a sacrifice for nothing, David refused and said “I will buy them from you at full[c] price. I won’t offer to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.” So sacrifice that costs you nothing or that doesn't hurt, is it really a sacrifice and so what value does it have if you can give something that costs you nothing and it is something that you won't miss. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that "obedience is the currency of heaven." Many  times I am not obedient and I often pay the price. I find myself willful instead of willing to do what God wants me to do and I feel guilty later on. Not long ago after prayer, I heard God distinctly saying to me after I asked Him what I was doing wrong and He said, "You are being willful." This happened about a day before when my husband said to me, "Toni, you are willful!" As might be expected, I am working hard on this! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spaulding said:

our pastors include giving up something important, but not essential, to us

At our church, we observe Lent. We are asked to 'give up' something and also replace an aspect of our lives with a good thing. One year, I gave up television, another year, I gave up my electronic tablet. I have  friend who gave up Facebook. A friend of mine has a son that gave up Facebook for 40 days because of a challenge from his pastor.

• Like 1