Hello World!

Corey M

Hello world!

My name is Corey, and I'm a writer and learning artist. I prefer to write fantasy and occasionally science fiction, and I'm looking to connect with other likeminded authors!

Influence-wise, I'd say the biggest authors I've read that I want to emulate are folks like James Clavell, Robert Jordan, Robert E. Howard, and Raymond Chandler, but for this group here, the more applicable authors might be J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Gene Wolfe, and Christopher Ruocchio.

I tend to write high fantasy, and tend to like getting into weird theological and philosophical tangents, explore themes about religion and faith and masculinity and femininity. And I like non-human protagonists, as well as exploring and researching cultures and traditions in our world that don't get the spotlight too often.

I'm glad to meet you all, and thanks for having me!

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, sunstarunicorn said:

Welcome to the group.

I admit, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'high fantasy', but I am curious.  What kinds of non-human protagonists do you have in your stories?

I mean, it differs for most of my stories. One of the fantasy stories I've got is a Tibetan-inspired epic fantasy, and one of the two main characters is a sort of yeti. Another story has a dragon-person as a perspective character. It depends on the story.

I tend to like sorta monster protagonists, exploring characters on the margins of the world. 

Tolkien is one of my favorite authors from all genres, but C.S. Lewis is my hero.  I love The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and I especially enjoyed the way he brought Christ into the story as Aslan.  Brought tears to my eyes when the White Witch slaughtered Aslan, only to find that he was a willing sacrifice.  True genius, disguised as a fairy tale.  Best wishes as you follow in their footsteps.