Idle Words

I wonder if this is the reason for my endless writers block:

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.  But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.  For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

(Matthew 12: 35-37)

Is the Lord protecting me from myself?  Is he protecting other members of christianwriters.com the same way?  To keep us from being condemned for the idle words that we write?  

• Like 1

@William D'Andrea, I just fought rewriting my first chapter since the beginning of October. Outside of life-happening circumstances I haven't been more frustrated than that. And, as of tonight, I think it's pretty good. (Finally.)

Is yours sin? Do you not ask forgiveness for your sins? Do you not turn away from them, even if you turn back sometimes? If you ask for forgiveness, did God stop forgiving us? If He did, is He even God? (He promised He would, so if He breaks His promise... Nah, He never breaks his promises.) So, even if you did, (and I agree with @suspensewriter No!), then you are forgiven and go on.

I know. You're stuck so you can't. How about a recommendation. Do a 5 or 10 minute freewrite for a month. Include your frustrations. Included ideas you can think of even if they fall flat. Include whatever goes through your mind and write it for 5-10 minutes each day. Spelling, punctuation, grammar, and the right words don't matter. Anything you write does.

It might rev you up with an idea. I use it to talk to myself when I can't figure out where to take something. And if it doesn't? Well you took some time to get it off your mind.

• Thanks 2

I was reading through the Gospel of Matthew yesterday, when I cam across this passage.

Those are the Words of Jesus.   Like I said, I wondered if they applied to me.  Actually, they apply to everyone.  He said those words before He was crucified and died to take away our sins, and take the punishments we all deserve upon Himself.

All Praise the Lord for our Salvation!  In Jesus Name.  Amen

12 hours ago, Spaulding said:

How about a recommendation. Do a 5 or 10 minute freewrite for a month. Include your frustrations. Included ideas you can think of even if they fall flat. Include whatever goes through your mind and write it for 5-10 minutes each day. Spelling, punctuation, grammar, and the right words don't matter. Anything you write does.

It might rev you up with an idea. I use it to talk to myself when I can't figure out where to take something. And if it doesn't? Well you took some time to get it off your mind.

Thank you for your recommendation.  I'll give it a shot, and see if I can come up with something, or somethings.  If I do, I'll at least have something to keep me busy through the winter.

Thank you again.

• Like 2

I suddenly have an idea for a new story.  It's science fiction.

The story takes place on a different Earthlike Planet, with sinful human beings also made in the image of God.  On this World, the people atone for their sins, by conducting multitudes of human sacrifices, all over the Planet, continually.

The plot could involve Missionaries from Earth, who attempt to put an end to the practice, by preaching that Jesus also died for the sins of the people on that Planet; so their annual human sacrifices would no longer be necessary.    

Edited by William D'Andrea

47 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

I was reading through the Gospel of Matthew yesterday, when I cam across this passage.

Those are the Words of Jesus.   Like I said, I wondered if they applied to me.  Actually, they apply to everyone.  He said those words before He was crucified and died to take away our sins, and take the punishments we all deserve upon Himself.

All Praise the Lord for our Salvation!  In Jesus Name.  Amen

A good article on idle words from Got Questions. (And, I agree. No one is sinless with this one, except for Jesus.)

Apt and timely words, as the Bible explains, are like medicine.  But these must be dispensed, and depending on the kind of medicine, can be administered liberally or cautiously.   Some words, phrases, ideas, etc. are time-tested (“approved”).  Others require an ad hoc inventiveness (not already subjected to “trial”, as I suppose applies here) and must be communicated out of faith (trust, confidence, conviction, etc).   Our Advocate also represents writers.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John

AH, this verse!! I learned about this verse in speech class, particularly when we were learning about how to have better conversations than we did before. To be honest, I've never thought of applying it to writing. I think it's a matter of prayer though; obviously, when we write first drafts, we will have many, many, manyyyyyyyy words that need to go. But I don't know if they're necessarily idle. They're there; but then we realize they don't need to be, and we edit them out. We're improving what we write for the sake of honoring God in our writing (and that should be our focus!). 

Hopefully, that made sense. 🙂 

• Like 1

@William D'Andrea

One of the few things hubby and I disagree on is if there is intelligent life on other planets.

He's in the No Camp, because then there is the question of if Jesus would have to die for them too. And, because God often says that He intensely loves people. More than any other creature, and more than angels. People are on earth.

I'm of the Yes Camp because who says those beings would be as stupid as Eve and Adam were? (And the rest of us, but we would have been able to not sin if they had not sinned.) If they never sin, He'd never have to die for them. But I don't think beings on other planets could just accept that He died for them through His death on earth. He proved Himself before His death, with His death, and with His resurrection. None of that is in the history of any other planet, even if we did send missionaries to that planet. We, honestly, couldn't build a case that they are saved through Christ's death here. I'd think He'd have to go through it all over again on other planets too.

My pastor says that 40% of people on earth have never heard the gospel. (It was a much smaller percentage when we were young.) Same story but set on earth? I'm picturing that famous "island where no man has heard the gospel" scenario we've heard often as an excuse. It would be cool to show it happening here too.

• Thanks 1