Reedsy and asking for your driver's license

So, in the quest to find a cover artist, I turned to Reedsy.  I sign up, I request a quote from 5 artists, and send it.

This morning I get an e-mail from Reedsy mentioning that I'm under 18, that they don't allow anyone under 18 to enter into a contract with an artist, and if I want to continue with my quote, I have to send them a letter from my parents.  This along with a scanned copy of my driver's license.

Anyone else had this issue?

They can take a long walk off a short dock is they think I'm sending them my driver's license.  And that's the clean way of saying it.

@Spaulding, I don't think they have Jeff's driver's license.  They're saying that if he wants to work with their artists, he has to give it to them (a scanned copy, anyway).

@Jeff Potts, I'm surprised that they would know your age (unless that was part of signing up), but I'm with Spaulding.  There is no reason some random online site that you're just investigating has the right to demand a copy of your driver's license.  Even if they offered the best cover artists in the world for the lowest possible price, I'd still say that.

That said, I will say that if you are under 18, Reedsy is correct in saying that you cannot enter into a contract; it's legally non-enforceable (Thank you, Judge Judy and Hot Bench).  Your parents could sign on your behalf before you're 18, but I still don't see how your driver's license would enter the picture.  Unless they're trying to verify that your age/date of birth...

Even so, in the interests of privacy, you absolutely have the right to say 'No' on the copy of your driver's license.

4 hours ago, sunstarunicorn said:

I will say that if you are under 18

If Jeff is under 18, I'm only in my 30s. 😆

But here's a funny, age-related story. I joined Yahoo Answers when it was new. It wanted my birthday for no particular reason. (Back in the days when age didn't matter online.) I use "Spaulding" as a user name often. My teddy bear, Spaulding, was born/adopted/given to me December 17, 1999. At that time he was 12. A year later, Yahoo implemented a policy where the users had to be 14 to use the platform, and I was locked out. I wasn't given a way to appeal. I wasn't allowed to use that account a year later either. 😆

I wasn't going to make any age assumptions (or ask)!  Especially since I still have the shiny 'New' badge.  Thus the word if.

😉

In hindsight, there's a lot of places on the Internet that want your birthday 'for no particular reason' and yet there's always some reason companies/applications ask for that sort of thing.  *grumbles about privacy issues*

Sorry about your Teddy Bear Yahoo! Answers account, though.  Seems silly to not give users a way to update that piece of info if they're implementing a brand-new policy...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaulding said:

If Jeff is under 18, I'm only in my 30s. 😆

Uh yeah, I was gonna say . . . 😂

I'm confused.  Jeff, you said all that pertains if you are under 18.  I'm pretty sure you're over 18, so doesn't that mean you can just prove you're over 18 and disregard the driver's license thing?  Or are they still requiring it no matter what your age?

Edited by Grey_Skies

22 hours ago, sunstarunicorn said:

That said, I will say that if you are under 18, Reedsy is correct in saying that you cannot enter into a contract; it's legally non-enforceable (Thank you, Judge Judy and Hot Bench).  Your parents could sign on your behalf before you're 18, but I still don't see how your driver's license would enter the picture.  Unless they're trying to verify that your age/date of birth...

Even so, in the interests of privacy, you absolutely have the right to say 'No' on the copy of your driver's license.

Well, there was probably some first-time signup info I had to fill in that never fired when I did the verification.  That's on Reedsy.

And I already knew about the issues with minors and contracts.  The problem is I'm asking for quotes - from five people no less - and that doesn't involve signing a contract.  A quote is not a binding agreement for services.

As for the last part, understand I've been developing software for 30 years now working in healthcare, lending, insurance, and all of that.

As for the driver's license thing, I'm pretty sure Reedsy is not considered a bank-like institution, and they most likely do not have the proper safeguards in place to store and secure private information like a driver's license.  A driver's license - like a social security number - is considered sensitive information.  It has a picture on it, your birthdate, address, and a unique number that can be tracked and used in a variety of identity theft schemes.  There is NO FRICKIN' WAY I'd give that to Reedsy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm in my 50s.

As an update: I got a response back from Reedsy.  They said all I needed to do was to send them a drivers license, with the essential information blacked out.

I told them I contracted another artist to handle my cover art, and I'll pass on ever using Reedsy again.

I went with EBook launch to do my cover art.  I've seen some of Reedsy prices for editing, and I was hesitant to get an editor through them.  

All I wanted was a quote.  Whatever...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I'm just curious why Reedsy was convinced you were less than 18.

I have no idea.  Maybe something that was supposed to get my birthdate didn't fire off when I signed in?  I'm not sure.

Or...it's someone at Reedsy trying to pull a scam?  I don't know, and I really don't care.  That's their issue.

This is the first time I've ever had this type of issue trying to contract work.

I don't give any personal information like that out unless it's absolutely necessary for banking/tax needs.

Heck, medical offices are always asking for my social security number and scan my driver's license into their system for identification purposes. 

They get upset when I tell them no, I'll show them my driver's license, number not completely visible, and they can't have the social security number.

Funny thing is, the insurance company has no qualms about freely back filling the information to them.

If I wanted that type of information, medical is the first business I'd hack.

If I ever get ID theft, all medical related businesses will be on the suspect list. They treat it like candy and don't seem to understand my objection. 

Good for you, standing your ground like that. It should be up to the artist to ask for it, if they really need it in the first place. Reedsy has no business asking for it.

4 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

If I wanted that type of information, medical is the first business I'd hack.

If I ever get ID theft, all medical related businesses will be on the suspect list. They treat it like candy and don't seem to understand my objection. 

Good for you, standing your ground like that. It should be up to the artist to ask for it, if they really need it in the first place. Reedsy has no business asking for it.

My first software job was working for a medical biller.  Thy processed roughly 30% of Michigan's healthcare billings.  I also processed medical test results, and integrated them into out physician's information system.

That place was treated like a bank.  I had to have a background check before I got the job.  Even then, medical information was considered pretty sensitive.  You just couldn't walk into the facility, never mind the data center.