How Do You know

3 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

When the Holy Spirit is speaking to you or how do you know when you are called to do something?

The methods I know:

• It matches what the Bible says.
  • He's changing me to be more like Christ. (Getting me ready for eternity more than I'm becoming purer though.)
  • I bang my head into walls or I don't.

The last one has to do with my inability to clearly hear when it comes to me personally. So, I start the car, move forward, and if it works, I'm doing okay. If I crash into a wall, I shouldn't have gone this way. (Might want to be well padded for that method. I lost count of how many crashes I've had, and I'm not sure I've traveled far.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It should be a soft voice inside and I often think it comes through as a thought, although this might just be me, but it is then learning to listen and discern when that thought is you or God or the enemy. This is why the Bible tells us to be still and know that you are God because it is in the stillness that we hear the small still voice which is hard to hear amongst the clatter and distractions of life.

I know in the past when I have been looking for my keys and I couldn't find them, I would ask God for help and then I had a thought to look under the sofa and amazingly enough there they were, but did I really think that or was it a prompting from God? because I'm not sure that I would have a reason to think to look under there.

Or maybe you get a desire to go to a certain place, but you don't know why, then you run into someone and the whole encounter seems like a God appointment, I believe that God can speak to us in many ways, it is just learning to listen or pay attention. 

But I do believe if there is something that God really needs us to know, he will get through to us one way or another.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:00 PM, suspensewriter said:

When the Holy Spirit is speaking to you or how do you know when you are called to do something?

If I have a thought about a person or a circumstance I am aware of three times. I know it is from the LORD. I had to learn this from an experience I had. I had a thought come to mind about a guy I knew in college. I remembered a story about what I saw where there was an open house at his fraternity house. He grew up in a town a little ways south of us.  I had no way of contacting him; he had married a girl in my sorority but we had lost contact. I was totally shocked to see his obituary in our local paper, He had returned to our area and was living with his parents (I think). He had died from cancer. I could have prayed for him but I "had too much on my mind," an excuse I no longer use.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Amosathar said:

This is why the Bible tells us to be still and know that you are God because it is in the stillness that we hear the small still voice which is hard to hear amongst the clatter and distractions of life.

I know in the past when I have been looking for my keys and I couldn't find them, I would ask God for help and then I had a thought to look under the sofa and amazingly enough there they were, but did I really think that or was it a prompting from God? because I'm not sure that I would have a reason to think to look under there.

Or maybe you get a desire to go to a certain place, but you don't know why, then you run into someone and the whole encounter seems like a God appointment, I believe that God can speak to us in many ways, it is just learning to listen or pay attention. 

Yes, we are to be still and know that He is God. The Bible also tells us that he is near to His children, especially the brokenhearted.

I have had this experience with lost items many times. I believe it IS God's voice that directs me to the missed article.

One time I left home on a mission of mercy, A friend of mine had a relative who was taken to "the hospital". We have two in our town. I really didn't know which one to go to. I thought about the location of the incident and headed across town to the older hospital. The family was there. (The newer hospital is about seven blocks from where we live.) I really didn't give it a second thought and headed across town.

• Thanks 1

When the Spirit of God is telling me to do something and I am not listening, I get frustrated.  It is the frustration that makes me sense something is wrong.  So, I start praying.

God relates to us as individuals. How he talks to each individual may differ.  Some are prompted, some hear his voice clearly, some Christian will discern.  The list can go on and on. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 2:00 PM, suspensewriter said:

Great question, suspense writer, and one I probably ask everyday—which must mean that God varies in his approach(es).  

For now, I sense I’m being led if after getting guidance, He ends with a question of His own:  “Will you?”  No question, no challenge.

Edited by Ragamuffin_John
  • Thanks 1