Webliners & Online Courses/Resources Used

Shamrock

Not sure if this has been done before - so apologies in advance if it has - but I wondered what online resources people used to help with developing their writing? I am not thinking so much about Thesaurus or dictionaries but rather talks, courses on aspects of writing, querying and publishing.  It would be good to know how it helps you and why you think it is good. Not sure if it is OK to put the links up as I think we are not meant to promote sites etc. No double Lynne can put me straight on that. 

I'll go first.

Prowriteaid's Ask A Book Doctor - This is a monthly 1 hour webliner hosted by PWA Tom #Wellend  with British Editor Sally O-J.  I love it because apart from the no-no-nonsense advice from Sally  (along with her hilarious one-liners) the chat that accompanies it very informative. Every month Sally gives advice on aspects of writing - developing compelling characters, Tension v Conflict, Subplots  are just some. You have to sign up (not sure if you have to have PWA though)

Self-Editing - This is run in partnership with FirstEditing, an American editorial service. PWA has also linked up with Fictionary - they do a 4 week 1 hour session course on self-editing. It interesting and I found the editing side more relevant as it explained the different types of editing.  The only thing that slightly irks me is there is an underlying 'sales pitch' going on particularly with Fictionary as the approach to editing/revision is very reliant on using the software. That said, if you are thinking of using it, then the video give you a really good tutioral in how to use it. Again you have to sign up with 1sEdit.)

Curtis Brown Consultancy - This is an off-shoot of the British Literary Agent. They have set up a 'writing school' Curits Brown Creative. The newsletter is quite informative. They run online courses on writing (be warned they are expensive and don't believe the hype that it will lead to publication - although they always cite graduates of their course who do). Occasionally they throw a freebee online session out for those on the mailing list of their newsletter. They also run a 'Breakthrough' sponsorship programme for writes. Each Breakout competition has a set criteria. If you get one of the 5 placed for each round you get a free place on their course.

Well there you go.

• Like 1

I don't usually have the appropriate time to listen to webinars and such, but I often sign up to listen to the reruns when I have time. The problem is that after numerous such sessions, I find I'm getting the same information over and over. My personal take is that I learn as much from the people on CW.com.

• Like 1