Looking for Unusual information

Spaulding

I'm usually able to find information about anything online, but I'm stuck, and asking for help.

MRI a few months ago reveled a goiter module is pushing my thyroid into my trachea. My thyroid doctor wanted me to see an ENT (Ear-nose-throat) doctor to see if it's nothing yet, if I need a biopsy only, or surgery through my throat. Now she sent the information to an ENT she knew, but I have one, and he's related to the network I know my insurance accepts. Her recommendation didn't call until yesterday, and by then I had my guy set up for today.

Different story from him. My choices now are get it taken care of now or later. If now they can cut through my throat, and if later, they'll have to cut through the sternum. That new ENT isn't merely a doctor. She's a surgeon. And I see her in a week.

So naturally, I want to know what will happen, so I googled. There is absolutely no indication it is cancerous. Matter of fact, only 4% of goiters ever go cancerous, and if they do that is still no reason to rush off to surgery. Squishing the trachea, however, is a very good reason. (No symptoms, which keeps puzzling doctors.)

To get rid of words in google result add a minus sign and with no space add that word. I've minused cancer, lymphoma, carcinoma, and another cancer word, but I've only had tiny bits of information... apparently about the vocal cords. (Dack! Gee, like worry about a permeant sore throat or a major bone being broken wasn't enough to make me nervous.)

So any other skillful googlers who want to find about this surgery for me without any word that means cancer in it? Much appreciated if you can. And, the harder part -- in English not medicalese.

• Thanks 1

I haven't, so thank you. And now that surgeon will have to explain to me why remove a well-functioning thyroid, when removing the 6 cm. goiter makes more sense. (Other thing that confuses doctors is my TSH levels are always normal too.)

Me<------------------->Bridge

Must remember not to worry about the unless I have to cross it when I get there.

So, thank you. At least I won't be so dumbfounded as to not have questions.

• Like 1

It's not entirely the same thing, but I had surgery to remove my entire thyroid gland about five years ago (it was cancerous, in fact, and too many tumors to risk leaving any of it.) Recovery from the actual surgery was smooth and only took a few weeks. The resulting scar across my throat was initially quite obvious, but by now (five years on) it's almost invisible.

My vocal cords did sustain some damage from the surgery, so I wasn't able to talk normally for a couple of weeks, or sing for several months, but they eventually healed too. Ever since the thyroid removal surgery (thyroidectomy) I have felt my health in general has improved a lot, probably because I don't have a diseased thyroid gland to bring me down. I do take a daily dose of synthetic thyroid to replace it--one pill, not a big deal.

So all that to say you'll do just fine. It's really not a major surgery or anything to worry about.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:36 AM, Zee said:

My vocal cords did sustain some damage from the surgery, so I wasn't able to talk normally for a couple of weeks, or sing for several months, but they eventually healed too.

Wow! So there is a chance I could sing when it's over? Cool, because I can't sing now. 😆

(I think my biggest fear is not being able to talk. I can't help but wonder if that could be hubby's hope. I talk... a lot. And, I'm kidding about my hubby's hope.)

Thanks for letting me know it worked out fine for you, even if it took a while for fine to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

A good update on this:

I saw the neck surgeon. It may need to come out sometime in the future, but as slowly as it's growing there is no rush. She'd would take it out now or when I'd want, but she told me what to look for to determine when it needs to come out. (I won't suddenly chole to death. 😁)  She's done many of them. "Many." She's only had to cut the sternum once. Much less than 1%. There is a 5% chance of vocal cord problems afterward, but usually from the vent during surgery, and often a somewhat hoarser voice.

For state vehicle registrations, we're given a choice between a one-year or two-year renewal. My dad always took one year, "in case he dies, he didn't waste the money." Yeah. I take after Dad. I'll deal with this if I need to. "I don't want to waste the money." 😇

Meanwhile, tested once a year.

Yay! I love it when an "I'm trying not to worry, Lord," turns into another "See? I told you I'm trustworthy" answer from God.

• Like 1