How Much Do You Pray Over Your Writing?

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

This isn't meant as a guilt trip, but I'd like to know how much you pray over your writing, and your writing career.

Very little.

If God wants me to be successful, I'll be successful.

If God gave me the talent, I'll be successful.

The only time I pray is when I'm in a slump and I need a kickstart.

• Like 1

Since I write devotionals and inspirational stories, I could never write if I hadn't prayed over it. I always want to write and post what the Lord knows someone else needs to read, so I pray I choose according to His will. I pray I write the right words and also ask for His help when I get stuck. It's the ministry He has given me. I could never do it on my own without asking for His will and help.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I recently read about how we should pray before writing, which I try to do each time I write. I think, because my current WIP is not outright Christian based, I don't often think about God caring much about it, but I'm trying to change that mindset.

But I never thought about praying over my writing career. I do talk to God about my dreams and desires with my writing, and how I'd love to finally finish something and get it published, and maybe even be able to make an income with it, however small (though, of course, a decent income would be preferable!), so, I guess, sometimes I do?

I think I've always thought about it as a hobby, and not that important, and especially lately, I have doubts that anything will come of it, so it's hard to think that it requires real prayer... but I guess I can work on changing that mindset, too.

I HAVE been working on a better relationship with God though, and that includes asking Him for advice while story planning, like through the day randomly as I run ideas through my head to figure out what works best, before I get the chance to sit and actually write it out.

TL;DR I thought the answer was "very little" but it's actually more than I thought.

• Thanks 1

Interesting you asked this question, because it was actually on my heart today. I had a bunch of "junk" happen in the last week along with normal life, and I wasn't spending as much time praying and in the Word as I would like. This morning I prayed because the project I just started that I was so excited about has been like getting a root canal to write. When I did my Bible reading, I was led to a verse that basically told me I needed to seek God more. Yup. I hear you, Father.

When I don't pray and seek Him, it's like all of the joy of writing gets sucked out of me. I need Him with my writing as I need air. Sometimes I forget and I start to wither, but then He sends me these reminders to stay connected to the true vine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JosiAtara said:

I think, because my current WIP is not outright Christian based, I don't often think about God caring much about it, but I'm trying to change that mindset.

This for me too!

However, the more I brainstorm my project, the more new things I discover.  My story now has a (slight) Christian bent to it that it didn't have before!  

Occasionally, I'll say a prayer that God would help me in my writing, and that my writing would subsequently glorify Him.

Great question, BTW, thanks for posting it, SW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pray over my writing often enough, and I actually ask the Lord to grant me His strength to accomplish it if He wills it. I don't see how I can really do anything else now, but I suppose He could surprise me. I have also asked friends to pray for me on this, which they usually do, so I'm feeling more hopeful these days. 🙂

I must be honest: I often pray while writing .

Edited by KR LaLonde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I often pray about my writing, even when I'm not writing. For me, I want to share all of my life with God, and just because it doesn't seem very exciting to me, I think God loves to be included when we share it with him. I often just talk to him about it, what I am struggling with, the characters, not nothing where the story is going and then look back at what I have written and thank him for helping me. I ask him for strength and inspiration and that ultimately when people read what I have written, that he can use that in some way to impact those people's lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it.  At that time you will be given what to say.  For it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. "

I work off of a similar principle.

5 hours ago, KR LaLonde said:

I pray over my writing often enough, and I actually ask the Lord to grant me His strength to accomplish it if He wills it. I don't see how I can really do anything else now, but I suppose He could surprise me. I have also asked friends to pray for me on this, which they usually do, so I'm feeling more hopeful these days. 🙂

@KR LaLonde, you're back!!  Haven't seen you around in so long!  How are you doing?

• Like 2

I pray every time I start to write. With my nonfiction I would often listen to some praise and worship before I started writing too. For me sometimes I need to make sure I get my mind right before I start writing something I intend to glorify God.

• Like 2

I generalize pray, ("let me write through You in me") usually, however since I've been struggling with catching an opening and rhythm with this one, I've been begging for help the last few weeks.

As for writing career? I was never a career person, even when I worked. No intention of starting now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "I have one story in me. I can't help that it is seven-books for the one story."

My fear now is I can't finish that now.

I had to think about this question, SW. I guess I talk with God about my writing the way I do with Linda–often, and about decisions which range from the day-to-day trivial to the grand, but usually stay down in the trivial range. I ironed out my grand scale ambitions and my subservience to God's leading a long time ago when I gave my writing and my ambitions to Him. I've been talking with God for so long about my writing that it's like a running dialogue, more about minor things than major things. 

These days, it's usually 'am I still on track, should I stick with a trilogy or extend it to seven books, is this dialogue right for that character,' that sort of thing. I talk with God as a fellow Creative, which may strike some as presumptuous, but He's the author of all Creation and I'm just inventing in his creative system. (You might ask why God would be interested in a golem detective. I asked Him.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grey_Skies said:

, you're back!!  Haven't seen you around in so long!  How are you doing?

Yes, I have returned. To be honest, I had forgotten about this account. Stupid memory.

I'm doing all right, all things considered. Another reason I haven't been back is how "busy" life became for a while. But I'm really hoping to get back into my account here. 🙂

How are all of you? I pray all is well.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KR LaLonde said:

Yes, I have returned. To be honest, I had forgotten about this account. Stupid memory.

I'm doing all right, all things considered. Another reason I haven't been back is how "busy" life became for a while. But I'm really hoping to get back into my account here. 🙂

How are all of you? I pray all is well.

Well, we're very glad to see you back now.  I totally get being busy in life; I currently can barely remember a time when I wasn't busy.

Speaking for myself, I'm doing rather well, just doing school, writing, and video editing, mostly.  As for everyone else on CW, there's been some prayer requests posted that should bring you up to speed.  Other than that, things have been going smoothly as far as I know. 👍

• Like 1