PKs and Former missionaries needed for info

jayjay

Hi guys, I'm trying to develop a character profile, and I have a questionnaire that I developed for anyone who is a PK and would be willing to share about your experiences growing up. Since these will be of a more personal nature, I'd like to pm you the questions or email them to you rather than have them posted here for everyone to see.

Also, if anyone did any long term missions, if you'd be willing to share (briefly since the book won't dwell on this) whether you went through an agency or your denomination, and if an agency, what training you went through before going. Also, what types of emotions did you experience as you completed your mission--good and bad.

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, jayjay said:

Hi guys, I'm trying to develop a character profile, and I have a questionnaire that I developed for anyone who is a PK and would be willing to share about your experiences growing up. Since these will be of a more personal nature, I'd like to pm you the questions or email them to you rather than have them posted here for everyone to see.

Also, if anyone did any long term missions, if you'd be willing to share (briefly since the book won't dwell on this) whether you went through an agency or your denomination, and if an agency, what training you went through before going. Also, what types of emotions did you experience as you completed your mission--good and bad.

Okay. While I am a pastor, I am not a PK, so I can't help you there.

I lived in northern Mexico for a year before college working at a small orphanage/ women's shelter. I went with a missions organization.

As far as training: we did pre-trip training that was mostly gearing us up for the cultural changes we'd experience. Once there, we spent two weeks living on a training compound doing more intense study of cultural changes, how to interact with the local population, and how to live as, as well as alongside, missionaries. Then we did ongoing language training throughout the year that we were there.

When I finished and came back to the US, I couldn't do church for about two years. It just seemed so fake and pointless, especially compared to the real and fruitful faith that I had just been immersed in. Also, there was a profound sense of loss to be separated from those that I had served alongside- it was almost devastating to leave such amazingly close, fruitful fellowship and to come back to the dull, clique-ish American church.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Joshua Benefiel said:

When I finished and came back to the US, I couldn't do church for about two years. It just seemed so fake and pointless, especially compared to the real and fruitful faith that I had just been immersed in. Also, there was a profound sense of loss to be separated from those that I had served alongside- it was almost devastating to leave such amazingly close, fruitful fellowship and to come back to the dull, clique-ish American church.

I continued to attend church, and my feeling about fake and pointless was directed more at our society, worrying about things like the whiteness of our teeth or the firmness of our mattress. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, carolinamtne said:

I continued to attend church, and my feeling about fake and pointless was directed more at our society, worrying about things like the whiteness of our teeth or the firmness of our mattress. 

This is interesting. Where were you at?