7 ways to create an empathetic antagonist

lynnmosher

C S Lakin's (former member) guest today writes on 7 Ways to Create an Empathetic Antagonist..

.Everyone loves a good antagonist. From the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood to Cersei in A Game of Thrones, there’s nothing more appealing than a baddie. When you’re writing, an antagonist is often a vital part of your story. They allow you to create tension, to give your main character someone to push or fight against, and are often the main driving point behind your plot. ...

• Like 1

An antagonist is not the same as a villain. And even a villain is the hero of his/her own narrative.

That said, the antagonist's story is a smaller part of the story you are writing. Leaving eighty percent of their story off the page saves something for the sequel where the protagonist and antagonist have to cooperate to save the world.

• Like 1

I will always prefer the Dave Mason Approach to bad guys. "There ain't no good guy. There ain't no bad guy. There's only you and me and we just disagree."

Some of my favorite antagonists are self, nature, and society.

In the case of my serial, it's two groups out to help their own people to make things better. I picked my preferred group.

• Like 1