Weird question :D

In my Grey Hart book, a side character has a pet snake named Slippy, and she takes it to the vet for a check up and accidentally leaves it in her penthouse’s elevator. The snake goes up in the elevator by itself and gets run over by a cleaning cart, then has to go back to the vet. 

She carries it to a bus stop and it slips out of her hands and is hit by a bus. 

Or it escapes its owner to try and impress a nearby lady snake and is also hit by a bus. 

Is this too tragic/dark?

Edited by Sarah Daffy

Considering what most people think of snakes, not too dark.

But my brother and dad had pet snakes, so I'm not seeing it. How does one accidentally lose a snake? (Vets want smaller animals in a cage for the safety of the waiting room.) And even if Slippy was loose, she'd know where he is. He's either in her arms or around her neck. Imagine your purse slithers off? Aren't you going to feel that immediately in more than one way?

As for slipping out of her hands? The only way I can imagine that happening is if the critter lounged at her nose so she tossed it. (They don't usually lounge once you're to the point of walking around with the snake.) And why take it to the bus stop? Since an elevator is involved that tells me she's in a relatively-populated area, so no bus driver is going to let that snake on the bus without a secure cage. (Some question if we're even allowed snakes in Philly, so bus drivers might not take one in a cage. No question there is a large population that will, most definitely, object to a snake on their bus.)

And lady snake attraction? Never going to happen near a bus stop in a relatively populated area. Snakes tend to avoid people and well traveled roads. Not to say they don't cross roads, but they aren't looking for love-in-all-the-wrong-places at that moment. 😆

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Accord64 said:

I was going to ask if if this was a comedy, because my warped sense of humor saw it that way. 🤪

That part is supposed to be funny, but the rest of the book is serious. 🙂 

Edited by Sarah Daffy

On 10/8/2021 at 12:00 PM, Wes B said:

Title for the chapter: Why Did the Snake Cross the Road?

Well, I'd say Colonel Sanders if this was a chicken...I don't think KFC fans would be appreciative of a snake being added to the menu...

Now introducing: Snake! Freshly run over by a cleaning cart and also hit by a bus; a two-in-one sure to please any palate! Also served with skin on! Hurry to get yours soon before they're all sold out--because they'll be here a while!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Well, I'd say Colonel Sanders if this was a chicken...I don't think KFC fans would be appreciative of a snake being added to the menu...

Now introducing: Snake! Freshly run over by a cleaning cart and also hit by a bus; a two-in-one sure to please any palate! Also served with skin on! Hurry to get yours soon before they're all sold out--because they'll be here a while!

Well, while I don't think I've tasted snake, I'm pretty sure I've been told that they taste like chicken... So, maybe the Colonel might try introducing them on the menu, if they can find some reeeeeeeally long fryers...

BTW... @Sarah Daffy, just a thought about your character naming...

If you do want elements of comedy in the story, then Slippy might be a reasonable name for the snake, 'cuz it sounds a little funny. Otherwise, you might at least want to think about it. I'm suspecting you're trying to make a name that sounds like slippery, but unless a snake was just in the water, they're not the least bit slippery; they feel more like soft leather. So I'm not sure a snake owner might choose that as a name, though you might certainly find some reason. The way they move over your arms or shoulders is a very remarkable sensation. The writer in Proverbs 30:19 is similarly impressed with the mysterious way they move. Here's a picture of me, with a couple of friends, investigating the phenomenon...

128.thumb.JPG.7be3cc351e7079ba894f817ba7e8fc20.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sarah Daffy said:

@Wes B Wow! That is one long snake(s?)! 

There were two. One head is near my left elbow; the other is near my right hand. They're a pair of boas, each about six feet long.

You can find weird things on the Las Vegas strip, and my wife and I occasionally travel there, and walk, and walk, and walk... Earlier in the morning, when I think most people are still in the hotels, "sleeping it off," the streets are extra empty, and it's easiest to walk. We came across these two guys who had the boas, and were letting people hold them, for five bucks. I'd been a handler for a similar-sized boa in my college fraternity (our mascott...) and was quite comfortable with them, so I grabbed two of them & wifey took the picture.

The guy said, it was the first time he'd seen anyone do that... sober...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Wes B said:

Well, while I don't think I've tasted snake, I'm pretty sure I've been told that they taste like chicken... So, maybe the Colonel might try introducing them on the menu, if they can find some reeeeeeeally long fryers...

Oh, please, no. 😆 I'd rather not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1