Writing Prompt Wednesday #6

Well, my last one didn't go over too well, but then I did pick kind of a weird one.  Hopefully this week's effort will be more successful, and without further ado . . . 

Write what a romantic evening looks like to you.  This can be fiction, nonfiction, personal, or whatever you feel led to write.

Word count limit: 1,000

Happy writing!! 😁

Well, I don't know if this is terribly romantic, but it's what popped into my head, so here it is!

Word count: 115

Fireflies danced among the trees, flickering lights dancing in and out of existence. A small fire crackled, softly tossing sparks into the air. Orange, red, brown and yellow leaves littered the ground as freshly fallen ones flew with the breeze. Determined rays of sunshine still glittered through the golden leaves, daring the world to smile. Hot cocoa kept warm in the thermos resting on a stump. A flannel over-shirt lay discarded on the newly felled logs, near a long wood-handled axe. Wood chips lay scattered across the leaves on the ground. A cool breeze blew smoke through the trees, away from the man who sat silent by the fire, wondering at the world.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, InkwellandQuill said:

Well, I don't know if this is terribly romantic, but it's what popped into my head, so here it is!

Word count: 115

Fireflies danced among the trees, flickering lights dancing in and out of existence. A small fire crackled, softly tossing sparks into the air. Orange, red, brown and yellow leaves littered the ground as freshly fallen ones flew with the breeze. Determined rays of sunshine still glittered through the golden leaves, daring the world to smile. Hot cocoa kept warm in the thermos resting on a stump. A flannel over-shirt lay discarded on the newly felled logs, near a long wood-handled axe. Wood chips lay scattered across the leaves on the ground. A cool breeze blew smoke through the trees, away from the man who sat silent by the fire, wondering at the world.

That's beautiful!  I love it, thanks for sharing! 😊

• Thanks 1

This is an old short story of mine, originally posted on a different writers website.  Due to some of its content, I've had to do some editing, to hopefully make it acceptable here on christianwriters.com.  I think it might be rated PG, though I'm not sure that I won't be getting scolded.   

Word count:  Approximately 800.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nervy Minervy

Minerva Denski sat alone at a cocktail table with a martini in front of her. That was the third one she'd had tonight. This was Saturday night, and the blonde 28 year old researcher had left her lab coat at work.
     Tonight the weather was hot, and so was Minerva Denski. She wore a low cut dress that revealed her cleavage, her bare shoulders, bare back, and most of her legs. That was getting the attention she'd hoped for, from some of the guys who were seated at the bar.
     She didn't recognize any of them. That was a plus for tonight.
     The name of the dimly lit establishment was "Hernando's Hideaway", just like the title of that old Show tune. She'd actually appeared in her High School production of the Musical, "Pajama Game", and she remembered the song's lyrics.

"I know a dark, secluded place.
                                      A place where no one knows your face.
                                            A glass of wine, a fast embrace,
                                        That's called 'Hernando's Hideaway.
                                                                  O-le!

"Just knock three times, and whisper low,
                                          That you and I were sent by Joe.
                                    Then strike a match, and then you'll know,
                                              You're in Hernando's Hideaway.
                                                                 O-le!"

That's what I'm here for. Minerva Denski thought. "A glass of wine, a fast(?) embrace."
     The embrace doesn't have to be all that fast. She wondered, "A quickie"? A "Wham-bam thank you ma'am?" I hope not.
     Whoever whams and bams with me can take all the time he wants; but it would also be nice if he says "Thank you ma'am".
     She remembered more of the lyrics.
                                                              "You will be free,
                                                                 To gaze at me,
                                                              And talk of lo-ove."
     I've come here to do more than be gazed at, and more than just talk! Forget about love! I'm one horny gal who just wants to get O-le! Nothing more!
     Ole!!! Okay?
     I'm actually doing this? I don't feel nervous about it? I've come out alone tonight, to pick up some dude, who I'll have a noncommittal, recreational sexual encounter with? It's never been this way before. Sex has never been only recreational for me. Except...
     Except when I was in high school, and just that one time, when the captain of the football team xxxx me in his backseat, on the night of his birthday. That was my birthday present to him, and I was glad to let him have it. I still am. But that was all it was. We'd both understood that.
     He'd gone on to do it with other girls, as you’d expect. That didn't bother me. I'd gone on to a steady boyfriend. When my steady boyfriend did it with another girl, I didn’t expect that. It did bother me, and it still does!
     But that was twelve very long years ago. Now both my former one time guy, and my former steady boyfriend are married family men. The other girls they did it with are now married women with families. I on the other hand, remain unmarried, unfulfilled and horny, and expect to remain that way.
     I know I'm not gonna meet any Mr. Committed Relationship in here. Tonight, any good looking hunk, of noncommittal male meat, is all I want.
     Now two guys at the bar are looking at me. They've got their heads together, and they're leering. They're saying something about me.
     They're probably sayings, "How'd you like to xxxx her?"
     My question is this. Would I like to have either one of them xxxx me? Let's see. Well, the sight of guy on the left doesn't make me want to throw up, but he doesn't thrill me either. So, I'll give him a shot, and see if he does thrill me.
    I'm smiling at that guy on the left, and giving him a little wink, and beckoning tilt of the head. I can't believe how calm I'm feeling. It's probably those three martinis. No nervousness after that.
    He's got the message! He's got off his barstool and he's coming over! I do not feel like throwing up. I feel really good about this.
    The guy came over and stood beside the cocktail table, with a margarita in his hand and a smile on his face. He had dark hair, and was in his mid-twenties.
    "Hi." He told her, "My name's David. May I join you?"
     "Good evening Dave." She smiled seductively. "I'm Minerva. People call me Minnie. I'd love to--have you--join me." She spoke with a sultry voice. "I'm sure that you and I, will make--a good--couple."

"I hope so."  He said, "I'm going to be getting together with a few friends of mine in about an hour."
       "Oh." She smiled, "A get together? Would I find it interesting?"
       "I'm not sure. You see, it's our weekly adult Bible study."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope I'm not gonna get yelled at for this.  If I am, I apologize.

Edited by William D'Andrea
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

This is an old short story of mine, originally posted on a different writers website.  Due to some of its content, I've had to do some editing, to hopefully make it acceptable here on christianwriters.com.  I think it might be rated PG, though I'm not sure that I won't be getting scolded.   

Word count:  Approximately 800.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nervy Minervy

Minerva Denski sat alone at a cocktail table with a martini in front of her. That was the third one she'd had tonight. This was Saturday night, and the blonde 28 year old researcher had left her lab coat at work.
     Tonight the weather was hot, and so was Minerva Denski. She wore a low cut dress that revealed her cleavage, her bare shoulders, bare back, and most of her legs. That was getting the attention she'd hoped for, from some of the guys who were seated at the bar.
     She didn't recognize any of them. That was a plus for tonight.
     The name of the dimly lit establishment was "Hernando's Hideaway", just like the title of that old Show tune. She'd actually appeared in her High School production of the Musical, "Pajama Game", and she remembered the song's lyrics.

"I know a dark, secluded place.
                                      A place where no one knows your face.
                                            A glass of wine, a fast embrace,
                                        That's called 'Hernando's Hideaway.
                                                                  O-le!

"Just knock three times, and whisper low,
                                          That you and I were sent by Joe.
                                    Then strike a match, and then you'll know,
                                              You're in Hernando's Hideaway.
                                                                 O-le!"

That's what I'm here for. Minerva Denski thought. "A glass of wine, a fast(?) embrace."
     The embrace doesn't have to be all that fast. She wondered, "A quickie"? A "Wham-bam thank you ma'am?" I hope not.
     Whoever whams and bams with me can take all the time he wants; but it would also be nice if he says "Thank you ma'am".
     She remembered more of the lyrics.
                                                              "You will be free,
                                                                 To gaze at me,
                                                              And talk of lo-ove."
     I've come here to do more than be gazed at, and more than just talk! Forget about love! I'm one horny gal who just wants to get O-le! Nothing more!
     Ole!!! Okay?
     I'm actually doing this? I don't feel nervous about it? I've come out alone tonight, to pick up some dude, who I'll have a noncommittal, recreational sexual encounter with? It's never been this way before. Sex has never been only recreational for me. Except...
     Except when I was in high school, and just that one time, when the captain of the football team xxxx me in his backseat, on the night of his birthday. That was my birthday present to him, and I was glad to let him have it. I still am. But that was all it was. We'd both understood that.
     He'd gone on to do it with other girls, as you’d expect. That didn't bother me. I'd gone on to a steady boyfriend. When my steady boyfriend did it with another girl, I didn’t expect that. It did bother me, and it still does!
     But that was twelve very long years ago. Now both my former one time guy, and my former steady boyfriend are married family men. The other girls they did it with are now married women with families. I on the other hand, remain unmarried, unfulfilled and horny, and expect to remain that way.
     I know I'm not gonna meet any Mr. Committed Relationship in here. Tonight, any good looking hunk, of noncommittal male meat, is all I want.
     Now two guys at the bar are looking at me. They've got their heads together, and they're leering. They're saying something about me.
     They're probably sayings, "How'd you like to xxxx her?"
     My question is this. Would I like to have either one of them xxxx me? Let's see. Well, the sight of guy on the left doesn't make me want to throw up, but he doesn't thrill me either. So, I'll give him a shot, and see if he does thrill me.
    I'm smiling at that guy on the left, and giving him a little wink, and beckoning tilt of the head. I can't believe how calm I'm feeling. It's probably those three martinis. No nervousness after that.
    He's got the message! He's got off his barstool and he's coming over! I do not feel like throwing up. I feel really good about this.
    The guy came over and stood beside the cocktail table, with a margarita in his hand and a smile on his face. He had dark hair, and was in his mid-twenties.
    "Hi." He told her, "My name's David. May I join you?"
     "Good evening Dave." She smiled seductively. "I'm Minerva. People call me Minnie. I'd love to--have you--join me." She spoke with a sultry voice. "I'm sure that you and I, will make--a good--couple."

"I hope so."  He said, "I'm going to be getting together with a few friends of mine in about an hour."
       "Oh." She smiled, "A get together? Would I find it interesting?"
       "I'm not sure. You see, it's our weekly adult Bible study."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I hope I'm not gonna get yelled at for this.  If I am, I apologize.

I must admit, I had my reservations as I was reading this piece, but I think the ending turned it right around.  It left me with a smile and a sigh of relief, anyhow. 😁