To multitask, or not? That is the question...

What do you do?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you write more than one work at a time?

• Pssh! Yeah! I'd get bored otherwise!
    • Bad idea. I'd never get anything done.
    • Depends on the day...

This poll is closed to new votes

Just curious to see how many of you exsist out there.

I like writing my current WIP, but sometimes I honestly get bored.

Usually that's a BIG sign that I need to go back and do some rework. I can't imagine how readers would feel reading something I felt bored writing!

However, sometimes I take the opportunity to work on another idea, and then worry that I'll never get either done if I toggle between the two.

What about you? What's your opinion? How do you work best?

Edited by RockyMtn Gal
  • Like 2

I have lots of projects going on at once. I have one novel I'm editing for the 90 millionth time, one novel I've written 3 chapters of, various devotional type blog posts, and an occasional short story. 🤪

• Like 2

I normally have an editing project and a writing project going at the same time. But I don't think I could handle two writing projects simultaneously ... That would overwhelm my brain! 😄

• Like 2

I have a billion ideas in my head, beginnings of books, endings, middle sections, you get the idea. I usually just work on whichever I have ideas for at the time.  I don't know if it's the best way to write, but it works okay.  Except that I am always getting more ideas... 😁

And then there's characters. I have loads of characters. 😄

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HK1 said:

I normally have an editing project and a writing project going at the same time. But I don't think I could handle two writing projects simultaneously ... That would overwhelm my brain! 😄

I once wrote four books at once 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, InkwellandQuill said:

I have a billion ideas in my head, beginnings of books, endings, middle sections, you get the idea. I usually just work on whichever I have ideas for at the time.  I don't know if it's the best way to write, but it works okay.  Except that I am always getting more ideas... 😁

And then there's characters. I have loads of characters. 😄

You sound a lot like me. 😁

• Like 3

For me, I've found that in all aspects of life (not just writing) that working on one thing continuously eventually creates fatigue. I've also found that having multiple projects, and switching from one to the other will extend my effective time, letting me get more done, before fatigue sets in. It works especially well if I switch before there's any sensation of fatigue, but but never when I get into a flow state, and I'm just "in the zone..."

It takes a little planning ahead, and it means that the occasional job may never actually get done, so it takes a little discipline, as well. 

Yet, given that we're all given just a finite number of hours to do everything we'll ever do in this life, the strategy gets me through the largest number of projects. I'll keep a list of things that are still in progress, to help minimize the number of things that slip thru the cracks, and just try my best. Is it as easy as I'm making it sound? No. Does it benefit me anyway? Oh, yes...

• Like 2

I do not multitask. The last time I could multitask, (receptionist, bookkeeper, office manager), I realized I couldn't even then. I can only do one thing at a time, even if I can drop one and pick up the next, as needed.

In like kind, I don't multitask writing either, but I do, sometimes, write short stories about the back story of my characters when I am stuck on the novel itself. I think the only difference is if I choose to do that. Like sometimes I'm stuck on little dumb things like making a "Huh?" into a sound. Other times it's bigger stuff like how do I fit three different story-worthy problems in this story. Which, by the way, is a large problem because I don't multitask. 🤪

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Sarah Daffy said:

Me? I never finish more than half a book at a time. I get bored and come up with my next book and decide to work on that. Sometimes I’ll go back to a project after several years. 

There is a way past that. Think out the story in full technicolor. Put in the setting, the different problems, and the characters needed. Really think about those characters as fully-formed. (Too much emphasis on good and bad traits anymore. Traits aren't good or bad. How we use them is good or bad. I should be fearful, a downright coward, if my marshmallow drops into the fire, and I want to grab it. But I shouldn't be fearful if my coworkers are bullying another coworker.) Think out the plot thoroughly if you're into a plot more than characters, or think out characters thoroughly if you're into characters more than plot.

Take a month or more to think it out. Every spare moment you can. Get to the point of dreaming it.

And then get an honest answer for this question: Do I love this story and the characters enough that I want to spend five years writing, reworking it, and editing it? 

This is a bit like marriage. If you can live without, walk away. If you can't, that really is the story you were meant to write.

I tried two other novels before going for teddy bears. One of them was based on my own life. BORING! (Not my life. Wish it was. But I just didn't care enough about that story to keep going.) This story? I loved reworking it the second time, because I got to enjoy it again. The only part I hated was editing, because editing has little to do with the story. It's more about making it readable to others. But I couldn't walk away.

To me, it is the difference between a story and the story.

• Like 2