A Homeschooling Call to The Young African Mother

My children are eight, seven, and two years old now. We'd been homeschooling way before the Covid-19 pandemic lockdowns began, causing several parents to also turn to homeschooling. God gave my husband and I enough signs to confirm that homeschooling was what He wanted for our family. I think the most significant sign was when we visited my auntie's house and out of the blue, she began talking about how good homeschooling was. The interesting aspect about this was that my husband and I had been discussing homeschooling and its benefits that same day before we'd gone to visit her. That was the final confirmation we needed. 

We didn't personally know any families that homeschooled when we began. I had family members who did several years ago in Ghana, though the parents didn't teach the children themselves; teachers come to their home to teach them. So we just put our trust in God and obeyed His direction in faith. 

So far, our family has reaped many benefits from homeschooling and I wouldn't have it any other way. My children have benefited academically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and yes, even socially. I know the social aspect is the main deterrent to many people, but it's an unfounded worry. My children are socialized. They're socialized because they spend time with each other and with us, their parents. They're socialized because they're part of our church's Children Ministry. They're socialized because they're involved in extracurricular activities. 

Though we've been homeschooling for years, I've never tried to push it on people, not even the people I know. I hardly talked about it unless I'm asked. I'm writing about it now because God has prompted me to do so. Honestly, if it were left up to me, I'd rather not talk about it, as I know how unfamiliar the African community is with homeschooling. Some people in the community assume the women who do so are just lazy and don't want to work to help their husbands. Some assume such women either failed at life or are incapable of doing anything else, and so they resort to homeschooling. The Bible says this in Deuteronomy 6:4-7: “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." How can we do what this scripture says if we don't spend enough time with our children?

I'm so grateful for those who long ago had to fight for the education of the female child. Someone may ask, "what is the point of a female spending time and money to go to school, only to come back and stay at home when she gives birth?" The simple answer is that if you're going to educate your children, you should be educated as well. However, one doesn't need a college degree to homeschool her children, though it doesn't hurt to attain a higher level of education. Doing so may enhance one's confidence, help you go toe-to-toe with anyone in an intellectual discussion, and also help you in your endeavors to bring in some extra income via home businesses and other entrepreneurial endeavors. 

You may feel your family has too many bills to be able to survive on one income flow. The truth is that if God is calling you to come home and take care of your children, He'll provide all your needs. You may not be able to live extravagantly and purchase the latest phone, purse, or lace fabric. However, your needs will be met. Actually, there was a survey involving millionaires and it was discovered that most of them had wives who were homemakers before they gained their millions. I'm not saying you'll become a millionaire because you're a homemaker and a homeschooling mom, however according to the research, homemaking was a very high contributing factor to the success of those families. In all honesty, as some of you may testify, the more money one has, the more his needs grow. When we forgo certain wants, life can become very simple and affordable.  

There are so many things you can do as a homeschooling mom and a homemaker in order not you lose yourself in the process. You can work part time at home to bring in some extra income, you can even own a home business or utilize your expertise in so many ways. You can also volunteer and help out one way or the other at your church or other organizations.

My daughters are very smart and intelligent, and I know they'll succeed at all they endeavor to do by the grace of God, However, It will be my greatest pride if they decide to become homemakers and also homeschool their own children someday. Yes, while some parents desire their daughters to become engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, and to climb the corporate ladder, this is my desire for my daughters. This should tell you how awesome I deem homeschooling and homemaking to be. 

My oldest daughter, who is seven years old, once mentioned to me that she wants to give birth to about one hundred children some day. She also mentioned that she wants to become a doctor when she grows up. 

I asked her: "how will you take care of all hundred of your children if you're a doctor?"

Her response: "Okay . . . I guess I'll just give birth to sixty-two children then."

Hahaha. 

I hope as she grows up, she'll come to see the value in homemaking for herself. I'll never force it down her throat, or her sister's, but I'll pray about it and encourage them in that direction.

Homeschooling may not be for everyone, and I'm sure quite a number of Ghanaians and other Africans will not like my saying this, but I encourage you young mother, that if you know that you know that God is calling you to homeschool, please heed His call and do it. As public schools continue to feed evil and biblically wrong concepts to young ones in the name of education and sin increases in this world, homeschooling will be one of the best and most selfless decision you'll ever make for your children and they'll bless you for it one day. The Bible says this in Luke 6:40, " A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher." This scripture is saying your child will be like his or her teacher(s). Do you know your child's teachers? Have you ever met them? Do you know their values? Would you really want your child to have those same values?

I am forever grateful to God that He called my heart home even though I wanted other things at the time. I believe this is one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

There're many benefits to homeschooling. For example, several researchers have discovered that homeschooled children and adults are among the smartest people out there. They're among the most creative and tend to become entrepreneurs and own their own businesses. Ivy leagues love to have homeschooled students in their schools and prestigious businesses love to employ them. There are so many benefits to the entire family as well. You'll have a great relationship with each other because you'll spend a lot of time together. Children will know their parents well enough and parents will know their children well enough. 

There're so many resources available to help you out with homeschooling. There're so many homeschooling youtubers available. There're Facebook groups out there for support. Also, there're great curriculums available for use. So don't be afraid if God is calling you to do this. God has not given us a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7). Don't be disobedient to Him either. I'm not promising a perfect life just because you homeschool, but you will come to find that the benefits far outweigh the risks. 

So this is a call to all African mothers as homeschooling is so low among our demographic. It is my heart desire that one day there will be lots and lots of African homeschooling families. 

Pray on it, consider it, and if you feel led by God, go for it!

https://thebetterpublishing.com/f/a-homeschool-call-to-the-young-african-mother

Edited by Priscilla
  • Like 6

Loved this article!!! Your daughter sounds cute...Haha. I remember when I was eleven wanting to have seven or eight kids...Not sure if my wanting to have many kids one day in the future Lord willing will ever change. 😆 Homeschooling does have its advantages, just as you've mentioned! Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ky_GirlatHeart said:

Loved this article!!! Your daughter sounds cute...Haha. I remember when I was eleven wanting to have seven or eight kids...Not sure if my wanting to have many kids one day in the future Lord willing will ever change. 😆 Homeschooling does have its advantages, just as you've mentioned! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks!

• Like 1