....Youtube: masked or unmasked?

Youtube Idea - Gimmicks?   

7 members have voted

1. 1. If I start an apologetic youtube channel, what should I wear?

• Mask with suit
    • Mask with hoodie
    • No mask

Well... I would have put this under writing and publishing, but it's not really writing if it's a video is it???

I've got this idea plumbing through my brain, and I'm not sure if I'm going to excavate it or not, but I wanted to get your opinions on it... doesn't matter if you are not an expert on building youtube channels, just want your impressions... 

I have an old blog website on apologetics that hasn't really gone anywhere. it's kinda just turned into my own personal depository. Anyway, I know I could revamp it if I wanted to, but this idea's been nagging me that it would be super cool to build a youtube channel with short apologetic videos. The target audience would be generalized, but the subject matter is specifically taking misconceptions and revealing the truth about them. A philosophical/spiritual logic channel... so to speak. (Focusing on the logic and everything will be sourced and backed up by facts...) 

I already have a few ideas to start, but my question for you....

Gimmick or no gimmick?

I've seen very successful youtube channels that utilize a gimmick, such as Kid President, who uses a kid dressed up in a tux to deliver inspirational material. Very well done. Others use gimmicks to entertain, such as Kid Snippet, who video tape their children's conversations and then the adults act them out in pantomime (very very funny 😁). 

I was thinking my gimmick could be wearing a mask... (since "masks" are mandatory in many areas for COVID.......... hehe) 

Here is the mask I am thinking about wearing. 

IMG_0227.jpg.457fb7ae64ce3a46ec2d1dba49bafd49.jpgIMG_0226.jpg.8b65a422546bb34ad046adebfad0f50c.jpg

It was handmade by me and represents a mask I had made years earlier with my protege, so it has some emotional attachment to me, but some other reasons for wearing a mask

1) To make fun of the mask mandate!!!!!!! 🌟

2) To cover my skin so that I can make a distinct point that it is NOT about race, ethnicity, skin color, etc. 

3).... other extemporaneous reasons such as parallels to the masks we sometimes wear in public, lens' from which we view and interpret the world, etc. 

I had two costume ideas to go along with the mask

1) Wear a very good purple suit that I have with it (Profession, tux-like), then find some way to cover my neck and ears (or just not care about some skin showing)

2) Wear a hoodie and jeans (either a single colored black hoodie or a special Christian hoodie, like the ones that say this shirt is illegal in 39 different countries... etc.) 

• Like 1

Okay, first off, this is such a cool idea!  When you get your channel up and running, let all of us on CW know.  I would love to be one of your first subscribers.  I'm totally down for helping you out if you have any questions, though I've only been running my YouTube channel since last February.  I'm up to 29 subscribers currently.

Now I don't want to start a fight or anything, but just to get this out there, I am not pro-mask.  However, the mask in your pictures looks really unique and cool, and kinda classy, honestly.  Not like the "mandatory" mask a lot of have to wear.  So personally I think it would be really cool for you to wear a tux-type suit with it and not worry about any skin that's showing.  That's what I think: either do it with the suit, or do it with no mask at all.

• Thanks 1

For better viewing options... I dressed up to showcase each option... depending upon the results, I may use multiple costumes... The suit jacket can easily (preferrably) be worn with the red scarf too. I just got hot wearing all these costumes. hehe. The mask, but also the scarf really raises the temp!  IMG_0234.jpg.70eaec2f85f4f0a5ab1ff05d83dfcdaf.jpgIMG_0230.jpg.6b9e63b98beecd18c4ee0be2ef296e12.jpgIMG_0229.jpg.3cc1a3060bce9732374c4eaa051e40c1.jpgIMG_0231.jpg.8fac200373f843ceb526d789699d739a.jpgIMG_0233.jpg.3ec3f154845d512b73b8de4c85bfdbae.jpgIMG_0232.jpg.9e4cdf4963759eea1c3e606ba339f410.jpgIMG_0235.jpg.439eb7f95c881b9d31cf37ba35ad4858.jpg

There's nothing wrong with a gimmick, if it's well chosen. I may not be able to envision what you're trying to do, so any advice of mine may be limited by that, but I'm having a hard time putting a masked speaker in the same video with a serious subject like apologetics. It's possible you have some clever way of melding the two, but I don't see it, just yet.

Also, understand that one purpose of video is that the motion and changes add visual stimulation, on top of the auditory stimulation already thre. Wearing a mask seems like taking half a step backward, moving to a semi-still picture. One problem with a lot of YouTube video is that they present the same face in the same static background, merely speaking. This is not a fatal problem, as many successful YouTubers manage with it, but they're already trying to do a lot, with a little. In a mask, you'd be limiting what little motion is still available to you.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

Wearing this mask is a form of irony and sarcasm

I love that sentiment.  Yeah, I kinda like the mask with the suit and cap in the second picture, but @Wes Bmade some good points too.  I would say, for starters at least ( 'cause you can always make necessary changes later), to go with whatever feels right for you personally.

• Thanks 1

My two coppers' worth? If I were clicking on a link thinking I would view some discussion on apologetics and saw a person masked, I wouldn't be able to click off fast enough. And I don't know of anyone else who wouldn't do the same.

"Apologetics is the religious discipline of defending religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse. Early Christian writers who defended their beliefs against critics and recommended their faith to outsiders were called Christian apologists." This is serious stuff. Okay. I'm going all out on this. I think it would be a terrible mistake to wear a mask. People would want to know why and who is this person and what is he hiding from. How do you defend your faith and come across as sincere, caring, and knowledgeable if you're wearing a mask? Sorry. I strongly object.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The mask would be a major turn-off for me, too. In my mind, that kind of mask signals a desire to intimidate or entertain, neither of which you’re exactly going for, here. Honestly, the hoodie/hat with the mask makes you look like some kind of anarchist thug, and with the suit jacket it’s just...weird.

What if your “gimmick” was something more subtle, like a different colored/patterned tie in each video, or even  different background settings...filmed at the playground, in the snow, in an industrial factory-type place, at the beach...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought you wanted to wear a mask because your YouTube channel was about dressing up and doing the comedian stuff.  If it is serious talk about defending your faith, you need to come across as someone who wants your subscribers to take you serious/y and think seriously about what you are saying, otherwise they would always find the funny side of whatever you say.

Do not try too hard.  Let the Spirit of God do the talking.

Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the end, it'll be the content that matters, and not the gimmick.  Because the gimmick lasts for a short time and will wear off.

Be you.

Talk about stuff that interests you.

Be entertaining and witty, but not false.  Eventually people will gravitate to the channel.

Send me a link and I'll sub.

• Thanks 1

What you are planning to do is wonderful.  

May the Lord Jesus guide you and grant you wisdom to run this channel to the glory of his name.  May the Spirit of God show you how to reach the people and make your content bear fruit of salvation and spiritual growth in the lives of your audience.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about all this whole conversation... What about having the majority of it being you, but if you ever need to portray someone else talking (theoretical comments/questions, arguments, etc) you could appear dressed with the mask. Or use it to start, posing your main comment/question/theme of the video, and then take the mask off to go into detail.

And if you DO use the mask, I'd vote for the second picture, the one right below Just You.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 12:19 AM, JosiAtara said:

Thinking about all this whole conversation... What about having the majority of it being you, but if you ever need to portray someone else talking (theoretical comments/questions, arguments, etc) you could appear dressed with the mask. Or use it to start, posing your main comment/question/theme of the video, and then take the mask off to go into detail.

And if you DO use the mask, I'd vote for the second picture, the one right below Just You.

Now that makes a lot of sense to me!  I think this is a really cool idea, and you get the best of both worlds.  You should definitely go for this, @Jared Williams! 🙂

• Thanks 2

That's the way I was leaning. I still am. I am still on the fence a little bit however. Today I was thinking, as a public school teacher, if I post any sort of controversial topic, like how homosexuality is wrong or how gender identity is designated by God or talk against abortion or evolution, etc. I could really get in trouble... the mask could save me that... but I don't know if I am going to stay in education or not, so I am still debating the pros and cons of each option...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

I could really get in trouble... the mask could save me that...

That's a thought too.  Well, pray about, and see which way God leads you.

14 hours ago, Jared Williams said:

I'm also playing with the idea of having two videos for each or most subjects - a short, interactive video for young people, and a longer, more indepth and highly sourced video for those who desire to know more. 

And I really like this idea!