Restart...activated

Trudi Griffin

I joined this forum awhile ago with the best intentions of getting connected with other Christian writers, but then life events interrupted. Translate that as: I didn't start writing any fiction then because I used excuses to procrastinate. I didn't think it wise to participate with nothing to talk about in regards to my own fiction writing. You know, that unworthy feeling that people call "imposter syndrome"? I spent some time writing on Medium in addition to other freelance work I was doing. That always took priority, but now I'm ready to switch gears and I've started on my fiction book. 

I wasn't always a writer. Well, I was, but it wasn't my job. I used to be a therapist who didn't start off as a Christian counselor, but by the time I quit to take care of family first, I called myself a Christian counselor. My husband is a disabled veteran of Gulf War version 1, and I also have a sewing and embroidery business online. I also read a TON and have started a beta reading service. I connected with a Jewish author who wrote a delightful novel about the effects of intergenerational trauma in families of Holocaust survivors. It's part historical fiction, part women's contemporary fiction and I've been helping her with some finishing touches. She motivated me to get my backside (er, my typing fingers) in gear and get mine going. So I am. 

I need to investigate this forum a bit to learn how to use it - this is my first forum really and I don't do social media, so I'm a novice. BUT, I want to connect with, get inspired by, pray for, and get support from Christian writers because I think we need more Christian fiction. I'm a huge Ted Dekker fan, I love Frank Peretti, Tosca Lee, Randy Alcorn...I'm sure there are others, but I haven't had enough coffee today. 

Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this, and I look forward to participating here 🙂

~trudi:) 

• Like 4

Welcome Trudi Griffin, to christianwriters.com.  Members of this website are just about the warmest, friendliest, and most helpful people I've ever dealt with.  More helpful than most writers on other websites, and people who I know and speak to in the physical world.

We'll all be glad to help you, giving you helpful advice, on about everything in life, and not just writing. 

And you will be included in our prayers.  In Jesus Name.  Amen. 

12 minutes ago, Trudi Griffin said:

I spent some time writing on Medium in addition to other freelance work I was doing. That always took priority, but now I'm ready to switch gears and I've started on my fiction book. 

12 minutes ago, Trudi Griffin said:

Well, I was, but it wasn't my job

I am working on the Bio for my website.. did you copy it!?!? 🤣 Wow, this is me! That's awesome! Holler if you'd like to collab or even just share ideas and notes... I'm honestly looking to start a fiction writer's group. That was my main goal for joining up here. I'd love to find some like minded people who would like to meet (zoom or whatever) and share, critique, assist, whatever... 

Hi there, Trudi!  Nice to meet you.  I couldn't help noticing that you said you wrote on Medium; do you still actively write on there?  If you do, give me your username and I'll give you a follow.  I'm on there as P.M. Turner.  I write about classic film there.

@Micah Campbell ha! that's awesome:) I would be interested in a fiction writer's group. I'm working on a spiritual warfare series (fingers crossed) based on recurring dreams that my husband has. I'm enjoying writing it, but procrastination is my nemesis and having accountability partners would be great. My husband is good at it, but when it becomes a choice of writing or gaming, we usually game because then it's a date instead of me by myself lol. So yes, count me in!

• Like 1

@Grey_Skies I do still write on Medium. I found you and followed you. What's fun is that my husband and I started watching old movies lately because the new ones suck. I'm sad because they turned Wonder Woman 1984 into a liberal manifesto - same with Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC - ugh! So annoying. I am on Medium as ReviveShine and I have two publications - Scriptorium is what I'm trying to develop into a reading, writing, thinking space - a place to showcase my fiction and other people's fiction...I've been writing some book reviews on there. The other one I have is called Sisters of Faith - I have a small group of women who got together to learn more about spiritual warfare and support each other through that journey. So that publication is my letters to them, but also to all sisters of faith 🙂 It's small, but it's fun. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trudi Griffin said:

@Micah Campbell ha! that's awesome:) I would be interested in a fiction writer's group. I'm working on a spiritual warfare series (fingers crossed) based on recurring dreams that my husband has. I'm enjoying writing it, but procrastination is my nemesis and having accountability partners would be great. My husband is good at it, but when it becomes a choice of writing or gaming, we usually game because then it's a date instead of me by myself lol. So yes, count me in!

Um... I replied to this but apparently I wasn’t logged in... so if you see some random stranger responding, that’s me! 😂 Anyway, spiritual warfare... like the Present/Piercing books? Those were great books! What do you all play? I’m a gamer but definitely not your Madden/CoD type... I play RPGs and souls/borne mostly. And of course board games. 

ya, let’s definitely talk about putting a group together! That’d be awesome!

@Micah Campbell Yes! I'm rereading all of Frank Peretti to learn from one of the masters. Ted Dekker's books are also amazing. Ah, Shaunti Feldhaun wrote one called Veritas that is - wow- fabulous. 

As for games, I blame my husband. It's all his fault I'm a gamer. We do Xbox/PC, my two favorites are Diablo and Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr. For Diablo we like doing the "let's go kill some demons!" thing and Warhammer 40K is fun - substitute the emperor for God...My husband plays mostly RPGs, open-world stuff, he's a fan of Ghost Recon (I think it's an Army thing lol) and loads of others. We also do tabletop - LOTS of tabletop. My husband used to be a youth pastor and one of the ways he engaged with kids was through gaming. I used gaming as a therapist. So we have so many genres of tabletop from Warhammer 40k to Zombiecide to Star Wars and Star Trek miniatures/deck building/role playing games, Munchkin, Dicemasters, Heroclix, Mars Attacks, Alien vs. Predator...the list goes on. We're huge nerds lol. We just moved, so once our house is fixed up here, we'll have a dedicated game room to invite folks from church or just gamers to have some good clean fun - and maybe talk some Jesus! 🙂 

You mentioned fantasy fiction in one of your posts...what are your favorites?

• Like 1

That’s awesome!!!! I LOVE Munchkin!!! I’m a SUPER nerd, too. I’ve DM’d a 2 year long homebrew D&D campaign where my players actually CRIED more than once over an NPC death 🤣

I love Rothfuss’ Kingkiller series, Salvatore’s Drizzt series, Brook’s Shannara series and The Word and the Void series. I’ve read everything Salvatore and also everything King. I’m still trying to find that balance between Christian/Horror, but once I do I will be writing a horror novel! Ha! 

So ya, huge fantasy nerd. This new project I’m working on has some so extremely excited... which is why I haven’t done anything for Koinonia.

Ask the hubs if he’s ever played any souls stuff... I’d be very curious!

19 hours ago, Trudi Griffin said:

@Grey_Skies I do still write on Medium. I found you and followed you. What's fun is that my husband and I started watching old movies lately because the new ones suck. I'm sad because they turned Wonder Woman 1984 into a liberal manifesto - same with Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, DC - ugh! So annoying. I am on Medium as ReviveShine and I have two publications - Scriptorium is what I'm trying to develop into a reading, writing, thinking space - a place to showcase my fiction and other people's fiction...I've been writing some book reviews on there. The other one I have is called Sisters of Faith - I have a small group of women who got together to learn more about spiritual warfare and support each other through that journey. So that publication is my letters to them, but also to all sisters of faith 🙂 It's small, but it's fun. 

Very cool!  Thank you for the follow, I followed you back.  That's very cool!  It's great to hear that you and your husband are discovering the joy of classic films.  You'll find several great recommendations in my Medium articles, but if there's anything specific your looking for in regards to viewing, by all means ask me! 😊 I also have a Medium publication called Old Hat Cinema, with several articles there.  I'm trying to grow it, but that's a very slow process, at least for now.  One of the tabs on my publication has a link to my YouTube channel.

@Micah Campbell No souls franchise...we pretty much stay on Xbox. He is very into Far Cry, Watchdogs, Red Dead Redemption, and Mech Warrior lately...lol. I can't do those, I'm one of the FPS motion sickness ppl. But he started with D&D in high school in the 80s, so he totally gets the attachment 🙂 We need to connect with some more gamers around here because he wants to combine some of the role-playing and miniatures games...so we shall see.Munchkin, oh yes! We love mixing up the expansion packs:)  

I'm going to check out some of those authors - I've read lots of King as well - I noticed in the clubs section of this site there are a couple of groups set up...have you seen that? Not sure how they work yet. Or do we set up something separately? I would also say that it would be fascinating to do a Christian/horror book...

Ya, I like far cry and red dead a lot! Read Rothfuss! The Name of the Wind is the first book... it is incredible!

I’ll check and see what setting up a group on here looks like. If that works I’ll go ahead and do it, if not we might be able to just get a few interested folks together and set up a discord or FB group or something!

I’ll let you know what I find!

• 2 weeks later...